Gransnet forums

AIBU

What would you have done?

(102 Posts)
Chucky Sat 13-Jul-19 09:39:12

First I know I have been fair, but should I have been?
I was shopping yesterday with someone else. My budget is pretty tight so I tend to buy in bulk, things like cat food, pasta, potatoes etc. I also add things up in my head as I go along, so I know roughly how much my shop will come to.
I got to the checkout and because a number of my items were largish the assistant told me to leave them in my trolley and he scanned them through with bar codes on cards he had beside him.
After he finished he told me how much my shopping had cost. The total he asked me for was significantly less (around £20) than what I had added in my head, so I said to him I thought he had missed somethings out. He checked, and sure enough he hadn’t put everything through. He put through the 2 items he had missed and gave me the new total, which I paid.

After we left the shop the person with me asked why I had told the checkout assistant that he had missed some items out, and not just paid the original total? My answer was that it never occurred to me not to tell him, as that would have been dishonest!

She said she wouldn’t have queried it and would have paid the lesser amount. I said that wouldn’t have been fair!
Here’s the question as per my title.....What would you have done?

shysal Sat 13-Jul-19 09:57:32

I would have done as you did, which is the honest thing.

The other day I picked up a £5 note in a deserted alley way, but couldn't have kept it to spend. I therefore took it into the village shop and put it into the Air Ambulance collecting box.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 13-Jul-19 09:59:26

Exactly what you did Chucky (except my arithmetical skills these days are not up to yours and I might not have realised until I got home, but then I would have gone back to settle up).

If you had taken your friend's advice, I'm sure it would have niggled at you for ages, and as an honest person you would have been miserable.

Good for you - wish there were more like you!

Jane10 Sat 13-Jul-19 09:59:58

You can't put a price on honesty. Your peace of mind was worth it. You did the right thing.

Ellianne Sat 13-Jul-19 10:08:58

I would have done the same in the shop, but not sure if I would have bothered if I had realised when I'd already got home.
Honesty works both ways, I recently handed over 4 x £20 notes to pay for two little dresses in White Company. The total was only £38 so I must have thought they were £10 notes. The cashier looked puzzled then kindly handed back the overpayment. She could have pocketed it as I would have been none the wiser.

Chucky Sat 13-Jul-19 10:22:50

@Wheniwasyourage You’re spot on. It would have niggled at me and I would have felt very guilty.
Counting as I go along comes from when I was a young mother, just having what money was in my purse to buy the weekly shop and not wanting to be embarrassed when I got to the till if I didn’t have enough money too pay for everything!

Glad to see that those who have replied so far feel the same.

Nonnie Sat 13-Jul-19 10:35:43

It would have come naturally to me to do the same.

Shysal I have also found money, £10 in a station, £1 in a street and even 5p. I was near an Age Concern shop when I found the £1 so gave it to them, the 5p went in the next charity box I saw but I regret giving the £10 to the ticket office at the station because I'm not sure what happened to it.

I need to believe that I have done the right thing for my own sake, I need to like me.

Sara65 Sat 13-Jul-19 10:35:53

I would have done the same

Maybelle Sat 13-Jul-19 10:37:09

No debate here, I too would have alerted the cashier to the unscanned items.

eazybee Sat 13-Jul-19 10:39:02

I would have done what you did.
Years ago I asked for &20 cashback from the till, the assistant gave me £40, which I didn't realise until I went to another shop, so I returned to the store and gave it back. A women in the queue said, "Gosh, you are honest." I don't think so; I knew it wasn't my money and the young assistant would have been in trouble when his till was balanced at the end of the day.
Buckminster Sunday school, thank you.

dragonfly46 Sat 13-Jul-19 10:40:44

I would have told him he had missed items also.

Frequently when we go out for meals (which isn't often) we haven't been charged for the drinks we had at the bar before hand. We always tell them.

I got an extra £20 out of a cash machine at Tesco once and I went to customer service to tell them and there was a man there who had got £20 too little from the same machine. It made his day to get it back.

M0nica Sat 13-Jul-19 11:22:37

Like you Chucky, if I know I say so.

Having said that, many years ago, I went to Office World and bought 2 desk chairs, reduced in price and a number of other things and went through the till. The total was too small so I told the till clerk, I thought he had only charged for one chair. He was very rude to me about it. Refused to check, said he knew what he was doing etc etc . There was queue behind me so I in the end I walked out. By the time I had got the big chair boxes in the car and everything else, I forgot to check the tillslip, which I did when I got home. I was right, he had only charged for one chair. Having fought my corner at the till and been worsted I did not go back to report that I was right and pay the balance. I still feel uneasy about not having done so.

Miep1 Sat 13-Jul-19 11:27:59

I would have done the same

wildswan16 Sat 13-Jul-19 11:37:15

I would have too.

However, I notice all the above comments would have been honest.

Is anyone brave enough to admit on this thread that they wouldn't have? grin

goldengirl Sat 13-Jul-19 11:46:25

I would have done the same too. But I must admit i don't keep a tally of the prices so I may have got away with a few pence off without realising

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 11:54:36

I'd have been terrified of buzzers etc going off so no I can't be dishonest. I walk head held high with nothing to hide and that's my way. I couldn't cope with dishonesty.

shysal Sat 13-Jul-19 12:54:37

A friend once found she had been given too much change so went back into the shop. As she started to say 'I think you made a mistake', she was rudely shown the notice stating that errors cannot be rectified once the customer has left the shop. She therefore kept the extra!

SparklyGrandma Sat 13-Jul-19 13:00:59

I count as I go along too Chucky a habit I have had from when I was a young mother on a very tight budget.

I would have told the cashier too.

popsis71 Sat 13-Jul-19 13:13:11

No brainer! Whether restaurant or supermarket bring the error to the cashier's notice and then accept their decision as final.

granzilla Sat 13-Jul-19 13:18:34

I could never take what didn't belong to me' (good old Catholic guilt) smile
Many years ago I was drawing my child benefit from the Post Office and they gave me 2 weeks more than I was entitled to. I immediately told the teller who took me to one side to thank me and said that at the end of the shift if the books didn't balance then the shortfall would come out of his wages.
I was so broke that week and could have done with a bit extra but wouldn't have been able to sleep.

SueDonim Sat 13-Jul-19 13:51:02

I'd have done the same as you, Chucky. In fact I did the same the other day. I was buying a few bits and bobs in a gift shop and it seemed remarkably cheap so I asked the assistant if she'd included an item that was lying slightly to one side. She had in fact included it but there was some money off, hence the lower price. You can't not check, though, can you? Or at least, I couldn't!

Tedber Sat 13-Jul-19 16:46:04

Well done everybody. I too, would probably tell him. Although I never tot up as I go along so never know exactly what I should be paying! (Bad I know!)

I once got more money from a Building Society than I had asked for...and took it back! Also found a wallet in street with money - took it to Police station. My Conscience wouldn't let me 'steal' anything t.b.h.

From reading this post...there are a LOT of wonderful people out there still....gives me hope lol

Chucky Sat 13-Jul-19 16:51:14

Nice to see that we Gransnetters are such an honest bunch!

ginny Sat 13-Jul-19 17:22:21

Yes, I would have told him too.
However we once were paying for a meal with friends and there was a mistake on the bill. They had missed off drinks and desserts. Like someone further up thread we said there was a mistake and were rudely told “No, we don’t make mistakes”.
We left having enjoyed a rather inexpensive evening.

Gonegirl Sat 13-Jul-19 17:26:01

If it was one of the big supermarkets, especially Tesco, I would have said nothing. A little shop, definitely say something.

Not as though the cashier would have been blamed.