Gransnet forums

AIBU

Should DH drive eight to nine hours in one day

(86 Posts)
maddyone Sun 14-Jul-19 21:56:58

My DH is 67 years old. His parents are both still alive, they are both 92 and live independently together about 250 miles from us. About three times a year, often for their birthdays and before Christmas, he drives up to their home, starting out about 5.30 in the morning, spends the day with them, and drives back at about 6.00 or 7.00 in the evening. The one way trip takes about four to four and a half hours, assuming no traffic jams. He is a very capable driver, has driven all over Europe and parts of America, and has been driving for over forty, nearly fifty years. He has never had an accident, and only ever had one speeding ticket, back in 1974. However, I don’t like him doing this, I feel so much driving in one day is unsafe, especially as he ages. He refuses for us to go together, and to stay a couple of nights in a Premier Inn, saying he doesn’t want to drag it out and make a big thing of it. I stay at home as I don’t want to sit in a car for eight to nine hours in one day. If I try to dissuade him, he gets a bit cross and tells me to stop trying to control him. But I worry about him. When I tell him how I feel, he just says he’s never had an accident. No he hasn’t, not yet. I worry, AIBU?

harrigran Mon 15-Jul-19 08:24:36

I would not question my DH, if he says he is doing a certain trip he will do it. I trust he knows what he is doing as he has been driving all his adult life.

Elegran Mon 15-Jul-19 08:27:22

Put him in touch with Tommy16. (posted Mon 15-Jul-19 01:07:10) There are very good reasons why long-distance HGV drivers have tachographs in their cabs to prevent them doing exactly what your husband is doing. One of those reasons is not for the driver's benefit, but for other road users - if he does doze off on his way home after dark, he could take others with him into eternity.

Grammaretto Mon 15-Jul-19 08:30:46

My FiL regularly drove mega long distances. Scotland to the south of France etc and was so proud of himself. Luckily his licence was withdrawn due to his failing eyesight at the age of 90.
He still rides a mobility scooter!! Beware!!

Iam64 Mon 15-Jul-19 08:37:39

We had similar journeys when my parents in law lived 250 miles away from us. There was an airport half an hour from them, so my husband either flew or took the train. He did stay overnight, at first with parents, later in a hotel when his mum was in hospital after dad died.
I didn't like him driving such a long distance and don't feel you're being unreasonable.
I'm sure there are good enough reasons why you don't go and share the driving.
I didn't either, for good enough reasons

annep1 Mon 15-Jul-19 08:40:03

gmarie that must have been frightening.
Thanks for sharing.

wildswan16 Mon 15-Jul-19 08:44:50

I don't think it is the distance that is the problem, but the length of the day. Whether he realises it or not he will be tired by the end of it (especially the elderly parent visit inbetween which is probably quite stressful).

I don't know what the solution is - he already ignores your concerns. It isn't the fact that he is 67 - it would be too long a day for a 37 yr old.

GrauntyHelen Mon 15-Jul-19 08:51:41

at 67 my husband who has Parkinson's was still driving HGVs for 9hours a day! You are worrying without any reason to he's only 67 he's never had an accident and feels confident -Good for him .

Urmstongran Mon 15-Jul-19 08:54:20

Just an aside - in The Guardian this morning:

“Four Australian children from Queensland who packed fishing rods and cash into a four-wheel drive in an apparent attempt to run away from home have been found more than 900km (560 miles) away.

The children, aged 10 to 14, made it all the way from the central Queensland city of Rockhampton to Grafton in New South Wales before they were found.

One of the children left a goodbye note for their family before the group set off in a four-wheel drive that belonged to one of their fathers.”

?

MawBroonsback Mon 15-Jul-19 09:00:44

Thank you Tommy for an objective and sensible observation, and Elegran for drawing attention to it
:01:07:10
I'm 67 still driving articulated lorries ,10 hours driving in one day is the maximum legally, spread over 15 hours ,its tiring so 18 hours is a bit much

Pantglas1 Mon 15-Jul-19 09:07:35

When my husband and I go anywhere we share the driving 2hrs then swap. He can sleep in the passenger seat (he could sleep on a clothesline actually) and I just go into one of my mindless daydreams when it’s my turn to chill.

We also use trains for some journeys as it can work out cheaper with senior railcards than paying for petrol & parking. Both in our sixties and acknowledge that we can’t/shouldn’t be doing what we did in our younger days when we drove from north Wales to south of France in 48 hours.

sodapop Mon 15-Jul-19 09:09:04

I agree with you Maddyone it's a long tiring day and unnecessary. My husband recently drove to the UK and back, over nine hours and said he would only do it with an overnight stop in future. He is 73 and was an HGV driver. Other people are at risk when a driver is tired and the driver does not always realise how his/her driving is affected.
Unfortunately it sounds like your husband is not open to discussion on this so I would not say any more for a while. I would not travel for that amount of time either so I can understand you not going with him.

annodomini Mon 15-Jul-19 09:25:28

We always shared the driving in my married life - even towing a caravan. Since then I have only done one really extended trip on my own and even then I had rest stops. Even very experienced and skilful drivers run a risk of dropping off at the wheel as they age. A risk not only to themselves but to innumerable other road users. I once felt myself falling asleep on the M6. I've never taken such a risk again.

eazybee Mon 15-Jul-19 10:22:00

I am surprised that your husband drives such a long way to see his parents, them spends so little time with them; surely they would appreciate him staying overnight? If he is still working I can see that he would not want to use up precious free time, but if he is retired then one night away would not be extreme.
I used to do a round trip of 360 miles in one day to see my parents, but they were in a nursing home, spent most of the time asleep, and I was working full time so weekends were precious. But I enjoyed driving, knew the route well, and found it less tiring than staying overnight; I was also only in my fifties.
If you went with your husband, would he let you share the driving? Somehow, I think not.

eazybee Mon 15-Jul-19 10:22:56

then, not them!

Aepgirl Mon 15-Jul-19 11:03:32

Why won’t he let you go with him and stay over for a couple of days?

TerriBull Mon 15-Jul-19 11:04:33

Yes I wouldn't be too happy if my husband undertook that sort of journey, he too has driven all over the place when we were in America and particularly France, once we made it back from Lyon to home here in the south east without any overnighters We can't share the driving because he suffers from car sickness when he isn't the one doing the driving, I've only driven him when he has been too ill to drive. He wouldn't undertake that sort of journey anymore just finds long drives too tiring these days. If we go as far as say Edinburgh we will do an overnight stop in maybe Derbyshire. I can remember when our kids were young and we went down to France every year, you forget how big it is until you're over there driving into an endless day and still being miles from the destination, and finally getting there dog tired.

I don't think you're being unreasonable I'd try and encourage him to stay with his parents overnight, if that's possible, and set off home the next day, hopefully refreshed.

BradfordLass72 Mon 15-Jul-19 11:09:57

I lose patience with people who say, 'I'm a good/safe/competent/experienced driver' because they think, I won't cause an accident but the fact is, competent, experienced drivers with perfect records, cause accidents every day from refusing to admit they are tired, or even not knowing they are.

It's not about YOU, silly driver, it's about the people you may hurt or kill, even a child, because your reactions were just 2 seconds too late.

As for this: 'he doesn’t want to drag it out and make a big thing of it.' It makes me want to slap his ears.

Since when has getting a decent amount of rest so you are safe on the road been classed as 'a big thing'?

He needs to start thinking about someone other than himself and he'd be wise to begin with you and your natural concerns.

Gosh, I'm cross !! angry

BazingaGranny Mon 15-Jul-19 11:15:22

Can’t speak for your husband, but I find driving two hours to our friends on the coast and then two hours back in one day, is too much for me now. I certainly wouldn’t want a drive of six hours somewhere and six hours back in one day.

After a very, VERY, unpleasant puncture on the motorway at night recently, in the cold and dark, I’m also trying to avoid any journey on my own in the car late at night as well.

Does your husband dislike the idea of spending money on a train, flight or hotel? If he books in advance he could get one night in a Travelodge for £29.00 and take his own food.

Other objective views here have suggested that two long drives is 18 hours in genuinely too much for anyone. But I doubt you’ll change his mind unless you can prove it’s illegal to drive as he has done, and I’m not sure it is for a private individual. Or is it? ? ?

maddyone Mon 15-Jul-19 11:38:42

Well thank you ladies and gentlemen for all your responses, I didn’t expect such a big response and really do appreciate you all taking the time to reply. There are a variety of different opinions expressed, some for, some against, but I will try to answer some of the queries.

I don’t go with my husband to share the driving because he likes to go in his car, which is a VW Passat, and which I love to be a passenger in, but don’t like to drive as I find it cumbersome and heavy. I enjoy driving my little Hyundai i20, and I have driven it up country alone to visit my mother (who now lives near to us in a sheltered apartment) or my sister. We could use that, but even then, my husband does not make a good passenger, even on short journeys, and so I find it more comfortable and less stressful to simply be a passenger and let him drive. Plus I don’t want to spend nine hours in a car in one day, nor do I want to spend 18 hours driving or being driven, and visiting, because as many have pointed out, it is a very long day, and I don’t see any need to stress ourselves in such a way now we are retired.

I have repeatedly asked my husband to stay over for just one night at his mother’s house, but he refuses. I can’t get him to give me a reason, just a refusal.

I have repeatedly suggested that we stay over two nights at a nearby Premier Inn, and that way we could see more family members, and I could visit my very dear friend from my school days, but the response is always that he doesn’t want to drag it out, especially when we have this, that, or the other to get back for (we do a fair bit of childcare, especially in school holidays.)

I feel reassured that I’m not being unreasonable in worrying about him doing this long drive, because many of you have agreed, but I also feel reassured by those of you who have said he’s not yet too old, and that you or your partners still drive these distances, or even longer distances. I know I’ll never be able to stop him, because once he’s decided something, he’ll do it (or in other words he’s quite stubborn.)

There is another visit being planned as his father’s birthday is coming up. I have suggested, and will continue to suggest, that we both go together and stay over for two nights, and I’ll say I would like to see my dear friend. He may be persuaded but I’ll have to see.

maddyone Mon 15-Jul-19 11:45:45

Oh I forgot, he absolutely will not countenance the idea of travelling by train or plane. I frequently used the plane, Southampton to Manchester, when I went alone to visit my parents, which worked well for me, because although I did also sometimes drive alone, the plane is much quicker (well on actual travelling time, but of course there is the check in time etc which makes the door to door journey not much different.) Anyway, DH will not use public transport, although I’d be much happier about that.

maddyone Mon 15-Jul-19 11:47:26

Yes Bradfordlass, I absolutely agree with you.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 15-Jul-19 11:50:54

I find it difficult to know whether you are being reasonable or not, as I have no idea how fit your husband is.

Based on your information, he is an experienced driver and used to making this particular journey, so it sounds safe enough to me.

If during his working life he frequently drove a similar distance in a similar time, I just cannot see the problem.

My husband is nearly always up at five a.m. and would quite naturally set off at that time of day.

If however you feel your husband is no longer as good a driver as he used to be, then worrying is reasonable, but won't get you anywhere.

No one likes being told they should no longer be driving, believe me I have been through that hoop twice with both my parents.

If the time has come to tell your husband to stop driving, try to get others to make the initial suggestion - it will cause offence, but he is more likely to listen to anyone in the world rather than you, his wife, on this particular subject.

Theoddbird Mon 15-Jul-19 11:51:41

gmarie has posted interesting info. I think the original poster's husband should read it.

annifrance Mon 15-Jul-19 11:55:42

My best friend aged 72 regularly drives from the South East to her house down here. She leaves at 4am and arrives at 8pm. She does regular stops, gives the dog a run, eats and drinks coffee or Red Bull. I really don't think it's wise, and she is doing the alpha male bit!!

She always calls me at least once en route and then when she arrives here. I did the journey with her last summer and it's not a difficult journey, mainly motorway but it's long. Last winter I heard nothing from her all day, no answer from the house and by 10.30pm I was getting very worried. I logged on to BBC news and found that northern France was hit by a massive blizzard. Paris was shut, as were schools, motorways etc and advice not to leave home. we had a sleepless night, thinking about tracing her route and going to find her, calling friends in Paris, getting on to the Gendarmerie, worried about the dog.

At 8.30 next morning she called all merry and bright. It appeared that the snow has followed behind her down through France, she couldn't get mobile signal and her Livebox wasn't working when she called at 8pm! It kicked in during the night! I was really rather cross with her, for our sleepless night and all the people that would have helped to find her. And what a stupid thing to do in February.

We are trying to persuade her to stop for a night, we have never done that drive in one day, even with two drivers. Her response is that doesn't want to spend the money on a hotel which she could spend on good wine. ridiculous given she is comfortably off. The real reason being she doesn't like to eat dinner alone in a hotel!!! Grrrrrrr. What can I do to persuade her not to do this drive in one go?

EthelJ Mon 15-Jul-19 12:10:34

I don't understand why he refuses to stay overnight or for a couple of night in a hotel. Or why it would be wrong to make it 'too much of a thing' As you say you could also go and perhaps make a nice trip of it. Probably his parents would enjoy it more too.
What is his relationship with his parents like? It sounds as though he doesn't want to spend too much time with them.
I would worry too about that amount of travelling in one day.