Gransnet forums

AIBU

Climate change protesters anyone else think they are hypocritical? AIBU

(280 Posts)
sazz1 Mon 15-Jul-19 11:43:47

Ok so part of the town is shut off due to protesters causing diversions and more traffic fumes. Also the majority probably don't use public transport or ride a bike to work. When the kids did it it was on a school day not a weekend. And you can bet they drive with parents to school, clubs, visit friends etc to say nothing about gap years later when they fly around the world. Also I'll bet a lot go on foriegn holidays and certainly not biking in the countryside. Also the mess left behind shows they don't care about the environment much either. Why protest in busy streets etc when we have a huge green outside our council buildings? Anyone else feel like this or am I just a miserable OAP
Thoughts?

MissAdventure Mon 15-Jul-19 11:56:52

I'm sure we'll both get shot down in flames, but I'm inclined to agree.
Some people are serial protesters, it seems.

I think its enough for every single person to do their utmost to reduce their own carbon footprint.. though I see scant evidence of that happening.

Gaunt47 Mon 15-Jul-19 12:00:18

This is exactly how I thought when the children started protesting! I must be another miserable OAP! How do they think their phones and disposable fashions got into their hands? And why do they think the 'government should do something'? Our current government would just raise another green tax! The problems they were hoping to highlight might be eventually solved, but it would take a huge shift in behaviour by the whole population and I don't see that happening anytime soon....

Callistemon Mon 15-Jul-19 12:13:04

I have more respect for those who are working so hard to try to solve these problems - and there are many quietly beavering away on innovative ideas.

This week the protestors will be at:
Bristol: Bristol Bridge
Cardiff: Cardiff National Museum
Glasgow: Gallowgate
Leeds: Leeds City Square
London: Royal Courts of Justice
Norwich: Norfolk County Council

All wanting Someone Else to Do Something.

Callistemon Mon 15-Jul-19 12:13:53

ps is Thompson jetting in again first class from somewhere in the world to grace them with her presence?

Elegran Mon 15-Jul-19 12:14:21

But sazz1 you don't know that those protesters drive evberywhere, go foreign holidays, and so on, do you? For all you know, they may live exemplary green off-grid lives using bikes and public transport all year and spend their holidays and gap years cleaning up canals and beaches? Maybe they are among the majority who can't afford gap years?

They hope that they will cause that big shift of attitude in the population that you despair of, Gaunt47. Are you doing anything to encourage others to make those small changes to their lifestyle that could make a difference - as I am sure you yourself have done already? If you can convert just two people, and they each go on to convert two others . . .

Where better to protest than where a whole lot of people are going to notice them?

Gonegirl Mon 15-Jul-19 12:14:23

Oh dear. He told me he was going again. Sigh!

Callistemon Mon 15-Jul-19 12:15:34

It'll be a bit warm to wear his hoodie!

ps that is because it's summer
It's due to rain soon, when the school holidays start.

Callistemon Mon 15-Jul-19 12:17:19

There are those who protest
and those who quietly get on with doing something about it.

Quite often those who are doing something about it do not have the time to protest.

JenniferEccles Mon 15-Jul-19 12:18:39

Surely by now we all know for a fact that they are ALL hypocritical.

Step forward the Queen of them all - Emma Thompson.

JenniferEccles Mon 15-Jul-19 12:21:53

BTW when did 'global warming' get changed to 'climate change' ?

I guess it was thought the new term covered all eventualities - if it gets warmer it's climate change or, if it gets colder it's still 'climate change'.

Very clever marketing !

Gonegirl Mon 15-Jul-19 12:22:13

Actually, I'm not sighing! (well, a little bit because he's taken a day off school) but my GS is an ardent Extinction Rebellionist.

He spent yesterday putting the sails on the boat. He has a genuine deep-rooted concern for this planet of ours theirs. He rides a bike or uses buses. He is ruining his upcoming trip to the US for the World Scout Jamboree because, of course, it involves flying. If this had all come up two and a half years ago he would definitely have not signed up for the trip, thereby depriving himself of a chance of a lifetime. (Yes - I'm glad he's got to go)

Central London is the only way to keep it in the forefront of governments' minds.

Yes. You are a miserable OAP. Get with the main event. Which happens to be the survival of this planet.

Gonegirl Mon 15-Jul-19 12:22:51

And shut the fuck up about Emma Thompson.No one invited her! angry

GillT57 Mon 15-Jul-19 12:23:16

I think we all agree that climate change is one of the most important matters facing us all, but little changes by all of us is a better way to go I think, although some may say that is not enough. We have dropped single use plastic as much as we can; no liquid hand soap, no bottles of water etc., although I appreciate we must do more. I do, however, object to being harangued by celebrities who fly in to tell me I must try harder. Youngsters protesting is a good thing surely? Doesn't every generation? Many on here will have marched against Vietnam/joined a CND march etc., so perhaps we should be more understanding of youthful enthusiasm for a cause!

Gonegirl Mon 15-Jul-19 12:24:50

He's still got a week of school Callistemon. shock I'm just hoping he doesn't decide to stay up there all week. His mum and dad have locked his tent away.

JenniferEccles Mon 15-Jul-19 12:28:17

If you want to use that sort of language Gonegirl I suggest you move to Mumsnet.

Most people on here manage to express themselves perfectly well without resorting to obscene language.

Urmstongran Mon 15-Jul-19 12:28:37

The environmental activist group Extinction Rebellion has carried out protests in five UK cities, marking the start of what it describes as a “summer uprising”.

Monday’s demonstrations – targeting London, Cardiff, Leeds, Bristol and Glasgow – caused disruption to traffic in parts of the cities. The group is calling for greater government action on the climate crisis.

Protests in each city are focusing on a different ecological threat – rising sea levels, floods, wildfires, crop failures and extreme weather. The group has installed large boats in each location, branded with the message “Act Now!”

BlueBelle Mon 15-Jul-19 12:31:27

I m glad they are doing what I can’t anymore and protesting I can do everything in my home and around and as I cycle and walk and have no central heating I ve got a low carbon footprint but I don’t feel up to travelling to marches any more so thanks to the youngsters for doing it for me

gillybob Mon 15-Jul-19 12:33:10

I think maybe it was cleverly changed to "climate change" when those of us in the frozen North complained that we were suffering from Global Cooling which I suspect is just the natural pattern of weather. Some warm summers and some cooler and/or wetter ones, just like it has always been.

There is a huge amount of hypocrisy around Global warming/ climate change (or whatever it is branded at the moment to cover all bases) protesting. That doesn't mean that they are ALL hypocrites at all it just means that many probably talk the talk but fail to walk the walk by flying around the world, taking cruises, driving for pleasure etc. I think it is often a case of "look, we can bring your everyday life to a standstill but heaven forbid that my holiday plane is affected".

For what its worth I think most of us do our best.

gillybob Mon 15-Jul-19 12:33:55

I wonder how many children have taken unauthorised days off school for this?

Gaunt47 Mon 15-Jul-19 12:39:23

climate change covers all eventualities gillybob! Back in the mid seventies scientists in America were predicting another ice age. Hmmm!

Gonegirl Mon 15-Jul-19 12:40:18

I know of one. grin

Gonegirl Mon 15-Jul-19 12:40:43

(that to Gillybob)

gillybob Mon 15-Jul-19 12:42:28

Oh dear Gonegirl naughty boy !

My DGD's school would be VERY angry and there would be consequences .

Gonegirl Mon 15-Jul-19 12:42:31

BlueBelle x

Only governments can do the serious stuff now.