Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tiny Tots Graduating ... what do YOU think?

(133 Posts)
JulieMM Fri 19-Jul-19 12:26:30

This week my little 3 year old grandson ‘Graduated’ from Nursery. He’s a bright lad but had no idea what was going on, wearing a cap and gown and being handed a certificate. The photos taken show the puzzlement in most of the faces there and I felt quite sorry for them! I know a lot of primary schools do this now but at least those kids know what’s going on and can enjoy all the preparations and excitement if they choose to go. But these little tots looked quite bewildered! Am I being old fashioned?

M0nica Fri 19-Jul-19 12:28:58

Ridiculous.

Luckygirl Fri 19-Jul-19 12:33:33

Crazy stuff - the preschoolers where I am governor are known as "butterflies" and they fly off to reception class where they are greeted by the rest of the school. It is quite sweet and within their intellectual grasp.

Auntieflo Fri 19-Jul-19 12:34:09

Is this another adopted Americanisation?

vena11 Fri 19-Jul-19 12:36:02

Stupid idea.

Luckygirl Fri 19-Jul-19 12:37:04

And our year 6 leavers take part in a leavers' assembly. They get to organise something themselves to do in front of the school - this time they sang a song with the words changed to be relevant to the situation, and they did a montage of pics from their school life.

One year the year 6s put out a long table with chairs behind and the names of the teachers in front and did a sort of University Challenge! The teachers are always a bit nervous of what year 6 might come up with! They do not know till the event!

quizqueen Fri 19-Jul-19 12:39:42

The children and parents at our nursery love it. It's a nice photo memento to keep and they get a small gift of stationery too. They know it's because they are leaving one type of education and moving on to the next stage of their life. Why do some people have to be so negative about everything. Guess what, they give us leaving presents too-shock, horror!!!

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jul-19 12:41:11

I think its ridiculous.
It won't be too long before there is a long list of requirements to adhere to.

JackyB Fri 19-Jul-19 12:46:08

They certainly do it in America - we were recently sent photos of DGS's "Graduation" from pre-school. But they are 5 years old and have a little more understanding of the event. The pictures showed them pulling faces and blowing through the rolled-up certificates.

Just like "proper" students!

In Germany, there is not even a graduation for university students. They just get a certificate in the post.

Ilovecheese Fri 19-Jul-19 12:49:52

Sounds rather sweet to me. Nurseries do little Nativity plays at Christmas time. The children don't understand that either. Does that make them ridiculous?

Cherrytree59 Fri 19-Jul-19 13:00:15

Off to my Grandsons graduation now.
He is 4!
I think it is mad, but Gran will be there with camera ?.
I think it feeds into the Facebook generation with silly comments that a four year can't read!

But hey ho my Grandsons excited that I am going to his nursery for his graduation?

TerriBull Fri 19-Jul-19 13:02:44

Ludicrous! In this country confused I hope it's not another piece of nonsense that is set to float across the pond and take root. I gather graduation is something that is practiced in America in elementary/high school at times, as others have stated. What's the point, completing education at those stages of life is mandatory and undermines the ultimate graduation on completion of a degree at university and beyond. If the children don't understand what they are doing, and why would they in the early years, it sounds mighty excessive. Just stick to the nativity plays and similar which are lovely at that age.

TerriBull Fri 19-Jul-19 13:04:47

Meant to say what's wrong with "Leavers' Assemblies" they seemed to be enjoyed by all when mine were at school.

Iam64 Fri 19-Jul-19 13:05:44

I don't like being a grumbling grannie because times change don't they -but, I agree graduation ceremonies for tots are daft.
One of our local primary schools does a Prom for year 6 leavers. I kid you not, the girls wear expensive frocks, have their hair n nails do, boys in suits etc. Some are even transported to the venue in stretch limo's. I've no problem with high school leavers enjoying a prom, leaving high school is a significant event and if they want to mark it in the way ok. But.....

MaizieD Fri 19-Jul-19 13:21:52

I think it's ridiculous, too.

Attended my grandson's earlier this week (Reception) but that was because they were doing a little play, too. I don't think I'd have bothered if it had just been 'graduation'.

To me, it debases the whole concept of 'graduation' which has always been associated with receiving uni degrees. If our DGC get to uni they'll have potentially gone through six 'graduations shock (YR, KS1, KS2,KS3, KS4, KS5) So nothing special about it at all.

At least at uni graduation they've achieved something. For most of the school Key Stages all they've done is turn up; as they're legally obliged to!

'Proms' any earlier than KS4 are a bete noir for me, too...

Callistemon Fri 19-Jul-19 13:24:37

I've changed my mind!

Having been to two this week, Y2 and Y6 I've realised how lovely primary school can be these days. They had fun making their mortar boards, 'special assemblies' with parents, grandparents and carers and the difference between my schooldays and now is unbelievable.

My schooldays were memories of rapped knuckles, terror of some teachers and leaving with a feeling that we were all rather stupid.

The contrast I have just witnessed was wonderful - children valued by their teachers, for their strengths and differences, laughter and tears from the Y6 Leavers and from their teacher, tributes, thanks and good wishes abounding. What lovely memories they will all carry with them into the future.

Oh - and no prom, but something special is planned.

jusnoneed Fri 19-Jul-19 13:28:50

Yep another copycat of an American idea, my cousins daughter in Michigan has had two graduations so far - she is 8!
Ridiculous.

Leaving prom at around 16 is okay if it's something they want to attend (didn't have them when my eldest left school - can imagine what he would of said if they had lol) and fine if not, my youngest made clear his thoughts when asked if he wanted to go to theirs - also a not polite reply!

Callistemon Fri 19-Jul-19 13:29:49

Terribull
These were Leavers' Assemblies not called 'graduation ceremonies' but they had made a mortar board each which was just a bit of fun.

TerriBull Fri 19-Jul-19 13:37:31

I can see the fun of making a mortar board Callistemon, although I can think of a few boys from yesteryear who might have been tempted to double them up as flying saucers maybe grin

Callistemon Fri 19-Jul-19 13:48:06

They threw them in the air and they some went flying.

I don't think it debases a proper graduation ceremony which is quite different.
And, according to their teachers and headmistress, they have achieved a lot - not just turned up
They don't have them every year!

Callistemon Fri 19-Jul-19 13:48:36

Sp: then some went flying

Gonegirl Fri 19-Jul-19 13:50:01

Cherrytree59 love your post. grin

lemongrove Fri 19-Jul-19 13:52:51

I think it makes the little ones feel a bit special for the day,
Too many sticks when we were at school and too few carrots!
On the other hand, the proms for 11 year olds really are ridiculous, adult dresses and stretch limos etc.

Gonegirl Fri 19-Jul-19 14:05:38

It was End of Key Stage 3 ceremony (!) this morning for DGS. They had to be smartly dressed but not necessarily school uniform. I think he cut it ok.

stella1949 Fri 19-Jul-19 14:09:55

I just think it's a bit of fun - nothing terrible about it. And so what if it's imported from America - we can all enjoy a happy occasion no matter where it originated.

When I was at school it was all very grim and unhappy - I wish we'd had some fun like the children do now.