Gransnet forums

AIBU

DH constantly clearing his throat AIBU

(96 Posts)
CanOnlyTry Sun 28-Jul-19 20:18:33

I've tried my very best to put up with DHs habit but whenever I mention it, he gets really annoyed and says "what am I supposed to do!!" trouble is that he won't listen when I suggest that maybe he has a dairy allergy or maybe he needs to see our GP. He's been clearing his throat all afternoon and evening today and when I commented "Oh dear" and mentioned this, he got annoyed again and has taken himself off to the bedroom and angrily closed the door shut. What can I do? other than permanently wearing earplugs that is? Truth is he takes offense so easily about any 'perceived' criticism - is got to the point when I feel as if I'm treading on eggshells and monitor what I can and cannot say. This afternoon/evening became just too much though. AIBU???

Calendargirl Sun 28-Jul-19 20:27:18

Is he on blood pressure medication? That can cause a dry cough and throat clearing.

merlotgran Sun 28-Jul-19 20:34:31

DH finds taking an anti-histamine (Loratadine) every day helps a lot. Dry dusty weather followed by heavy rain, which stirs it all up, can often cause coughing.

If it persists he really should see a GP but good luck with that if he is refusing to see it could be a problem.

Jane10 Sun 28-Jul-19 20:53:57

This is very familiar! It improved when he changed medication from Ramipril to another one. I first read that on GN and was very glad to discover it.

SalsaQueen Sun 28-Jul-19 21:03:21

Is the throat-clearing a recent thing? Does he smoke? He either needs to see a doctor/get some medication or perhaps it's a habit?

My brother sniffs a lot, which is very irritating. It is simply a habit with him.

annep1 Sun 28-Jul-19 21:06:36

Well imo you are not being unreasonable Canonlytry Some men just don't listen and are perfect!
Just ignore him. At least its peaceful. But then I'm biased at the minute. I'm in a separate room relaxing and enjoying a stressfree evening!

annep1 Sun 28-Jul-19 21:11:13

My husband makes strange noises too. Perhaps they all do it as they get older. And whenhe is reading he makes a kind of surprised grunt and I'm meant to ask What is it? So that he can tell me what he has just read ( usually depressing, don't want to hear)

Thebeeb Sun 28-Jul-19 21:13:14

I’ve got one of those too. Given up, just switch off.

I do sometimes find it useful when shopping or out and about. I always hear him coming so don’t have to look for him.

Bordersgirl57 Sun 28-Jul-19 21:17:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SueDonim Sun 28-Jul-19 21:19:19

Another possibility is silent reflux, which can irritate the throat.

Thebeeb Sun 28-Jul-19 21:23:19

He’s doing it now and I’m have a little chuckle! (Twice now) and again. Oh dear.

annep1 Sun 28-Jul-19 22:01:55

Bordersgirl57 grin

annep1 Sun 28-Jul-19 22:03:56

Thebeeb grin

Oh we are an unsympathetic lot!

annodomini Sun 28-Jul-19 22:10:23

SueDonim could have something. Silent reflux - stomach acid affecting throat and vocal chords - could account for throat clearing and chronic cough.

Doodle Sun 28-Jul-19 22:22:09

I had a similar thing during a period at work. Nothing I could do about it and it annoyed me too. I think mine might have been nervousness and eventually stopped but I could no more control it than you could make an itch stop by telling it too.

Namsnanny Sun 28-Jul-19 22:29:49

Canonlytry……..I don't expect he will listen to you from what you have said, but gargling with white vinegar or cider vinegar and water helps.
You can actually drink it too, which helps, but not many people like it!

flowers

Grammaretto Sun 28-Jul-19 22:31:13

Mine is snoring. wink
Could the throat clearing thing be hayfever?
I would try to get it checked out. If it turns out to be a habit, just get ear plugs.

arosebyanyothername Sun 28-Jul-19 22:33:19

Get him to ask his GP.
Could be just a bad habit but worth asking the doctor.

Gonegirl Sun 28-Jul-19 22:43:52

Could be a nervous habit. Some older people develop twitches, head nodding, and the like. I think it's an ageing thing. Ageing brain. If it is, you have to live with it.

B9exchange Sun 28-Jul-19 22:51:33

DH had a dry cough for four years that was driving me insane, woud have to walk out of the house for a silent scream. GP tried changing medication, and he had a barium swallow and hiatus hernia was discovered, so he was put on omeprazole, but still he coughed! Then he had a chest infection and was sent to the practice nurse to check his chest. She prescribed antibiotics, but also a ventolin inhaler and spacer. And he stopped coughing!!!

The relief is incredible, for both of us. So do persevere if it doesn't ease off.

CanOnlyTry Sun 28-Jul-19 23:14:20

Thanks so much everyone, so good of you all to respond so quickly and no he's not on any medication. He was like this year's ago tbh and back then he went dairy free and onto goats milk, it cleared up very well perhaps it's an 'age thing' that he's taking such offence about everything!?! It seems now is all my fault for being intolerant as he said "after all the things I do for you can't you put up with a bit of noise which I can't help"

I'm about to blow a gasket, he just won't accept that he's at fault.

???

Labaik Sun 28-Jul-19 23:43:42

My partner used to do that. I used to find myself counting how long it was between throat clears. Sometimes it was 30 seconds or less. Thankfully he seems to have stopped doing it, now. It did drive me mad at the time. I think it was a bit of a nervous habit.

crazyH Sun 28-Jul-19 23:50:36

Those who have chronic lung problems, do tend to clear their throats often. They can't help it. They get embarrassed. I know it, because I have a lung condition which causes phlegm t o collect and which needs to be expelled. Please be sympathetic.

CanOnlyTry Mon 29-Jul-19 00:02:44

Thank Labaik I did wonder if it might be a bit of a nervous thing tbh

crazyH ? Sorry to hear you have a lung problem, if DH had I'd most certainly be sympathetic but he's quite fit actually. I guess it's earplugs for me! ?

Hetty58 Mon 29-Jul-19 00:10:51

Earplugs for you and doctors for him, I think. It's like having an annoying buzzing insect around. One day you might just flip and swat it!