Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think there's no point in delaying the inevitable?

(33 Posts)
NannyFinn Mon 05-Aug-19 10:15:57

This procedure delays menopause by up to 20 years. Why? What's the point? There's a freedom that comes with the menopause that I wouldn't want to put off.

What do you think?

www.theguardian.com/science/2019/aug/04/medical-procedure-delay-menopause

TwiceAsNice Mon 05-Aug-19 10:19:14

God why would you? Was so thrilled not to have periods anymore which over the years had been really painful and very heavy. Menopause gave me a new lease of life!

Maybelle Mon 05-Aug-19 10:21:40

I certainly did not want to delay the menopause. Freedom and no more crampy pains each month

EllanVannin Mon 05-Aug-19 10:25:42

I remain very much behind the times when it comes to interfering with nature. I don't agree with it.

Bellanonna Mon 05-Aug-19 10:32:22

If you delay it by 20 years then you are going to have it when you’re 80 (let’s say) anyway. And periods up until then. What a dreadful idea.

Anniebach Mon 05-Aug-19 10:35:15

Periods for another 20 years then the menopause as your approaching 70 ? No thank you.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 05-Aug-19 10:46:42

Why???

Iam64 Mon 05-Aug-19 10:53:55

No! Just develop medications to help with the downsides, aching joints, dryness etc

FlexibleFriend Mon 05-Aug-19 11:00:17

I would, I've had the menopause from hell for about 10 years now and it shows no signs of going anywhere any time soon. Give me back my pre menopause life now please. what's wrong with periods, they never bothered me but nearly bleeding to death twice during menopause certainly did. No periods for a year and then a heavy deluge that lasted non stop for 5 years. YES and a thousand times YES!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 05-Aug-19 11:02:30

The menopause, while inconvenient with hot flushes and erratic periods, eventually brought FREEDOM from the monthly misery. Who'd want to put up with that for any longer than necessary? No thanks.

However, there's an item about a young woman who suffered from such awful endometriosis that she had a hysterectomy and this procedure has helped her avoid the early menopause that would have followed the surgery. For that and cancer sufferers this is a good thing.

For the rest of us no, no, no.

fizzers Mon 05-Aug-19 11:08:36

hell couldn't wait to stop having periods

Septimia Mon 05-Aug-19 11:12:31

I can see the point if you think you are going to be older when starting a family.

Otherwise, definitely no. Like most others, I was delighted when my periods stopped.

Alexa Mon 05-Aug-19 11:33:05

Anything that limits human over-population is good therefor menopause is good.

Mapleleaf Mon 05-Aug-19 13:17:49

I thought it was to help women who were in danger of having an early menopause?

Hm999 Mon 05-Aug-19 15:37:13

If you can't cope with menopause issues (sleeplessness, flushes, feeling like death) at say 50, how will you cope at 70?

Blacktabby2 Mon 05-Aug-19 15:44:54

I am nearly 59. Recently had a 16 month period. Told by consultant that not had menopause even though prior to that l had nothing for 18 months. I had all sorts of tests...all came back negative. Wish they eoujd go away...its costing me a fortune!!

RosieLeah Mon 05-Aug-19 15:47:12

Does this mean we could still get pregnant? I'm not in a sexual relationship but I can appreciate how liberating it must be not to have to think about contraception.

Nannyxthree Mon 05-Aug-19 16:30:46

A friend went through the menopause when only in her late teens. If this had been available to her it might have enabled her to have the family she wanted, but for me I was glad to see the end of it.

BlueBelle Mon 05-Aug-19 16:35:05

Oh my word stop interfering with nature scientists
Horrible thought I was loving the fact that at 48 /49 I was FREEERR

PamelaJ1 Mon 05-Aug-19 16:43:49

I delayed the symptoms for a few years. After very many years of before it started I was fine.

I was so surprised that I had problems, me? I’m always fine!
I took HRT and regained the energy ( no more sleepless nights) to run my business for another few years.

Now I’m as nature intended and am fine. IMO delaying it for 20years is probably not necessary for many women though.
Can you imagine being pregnant when you are 64?

M0nica Mon 05-Aug-19 17:50:07

Why anyone would want to continue to have periods I cannot think.

Anyway this delaying of having children at later and later years, means the children are likely to lose their parents when they are quite young and may find that, even in their teens and twenties they are worrying about parents becoming increasingly frail. How will the parents cope trying to provide for their children at their most expensive years when their income is reduced to pension level?

I know some children experience this anyway, but surely it is not a childhood, one would wish on a child if it could be avoided

jura2 Mon 05-Aug-19 17:53:42

yep- same here. Why on earth would you want to do that.

Iam64 Mon 05-Aug-19 21:24:59

I can't imagine why some women want to be pregnant in their 50's never mind 60's.
Even if the parents are reasonably fit and well, we all know that by 50 anything can change significantly, over night. Friends who were fit and climbing mountains for relaxation, suddenly struck with awful diseases. I know, that can happen at any age but its more likely to happen the older we get.
It's plain selfish and a bit daft.

Esspee Tue 06-Aug-19 13:24:53

Some of us are enjoying life without a menopause at the moment. I've been on HRT since I was 40, am now 70 and will be taking it for the rest of my life.
Menopause is a result of the body no longer producing enough oestrogen. In days gone by this happened around the end of a woman's life span. These days we live much longer but our oestrogen is used up at around 50.
If your body stops producing insulin you get replacement insulin. If your body stops producing oestrogen you can get replacement oestrogen.
To my mind it is masochistic to want to go through a negative medical condition under the erroneous belief that it is "natural" and therefore preferable. You wouldn't feel the same way about insulin replacement.
Menopause results in premature aging, osteoporosis, vaginal atrophy, pelvic floor weakening, hot flushes, night sweats, loss of libido etc. My question is why so many women choose to put up with this.
As for the surgical option, it is helping women who have cancer but for the rest of us fortunately medical science has already developed a solution - HRT.

Iam64 Tue 06-Aug-19 21:42:32

Esspee, good for you. I took HRT as recommended by the male GP for seven years. He said because I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, I'd be at risk of osteoporosis / osteoarthritis and H~RT would reduce that risk. (I was also having awful periods - grim and HRT would help that, it did)
He moved on, I was reviewed by a female GP who was shocked I was taking it and insisted I stop because she said the risks were too great. I was a bit feared, so followed her instruction. the menopausal symptoms were never dreadful but the return of aching joints and muscles, tiredness and all the stuff that HRT keeps at bay came with a vengeance.
I had a recent bone density scan at which the clinicians were all pleased I'd taken HRT, it will have helped a lot, they said.
I wish I'd never come off it but sadly AF means. can't take it now.