Gransnet forums

AIBU

We are NOT ‘you guys’

(155 Posts)
GinJeannie Wed 07-Aug-19 15:08:09

AIBU in absolutely hating being referred to as ‘you guys’? DH and myself really resent being called this. It’s bad enough when staff in shops, hotels, etc use this awful phrase but now I’ve had a text from DD using it. We are her parents, Mum and Dad, a family nickname even, all highly preferable to this. I replied with a request to please not use that phrase for us and did at least get a thumbs up emoji by return! Be interested to hear what other GN feel!

Alima Wed 07-Aug-19 15:11:40

Doesn’t bother me nearly as much as being called madam. Loathe that.

EllanVannin Wed 07-Aug-19 15:14:57

It's the Ms I can't stand, when I address myself as Mrs.

Pantglas1 Wed 07-Aug-19 15:15:58

This one made me smile as when I started texting I used the usual abbreviations that people used in their texts with me.

My DD was horrified and told me to stop using the language of ‘a bro in da ‘hood’! She preferred my usually correct grammar, spelling and punctuation in an email!

Sara65 Wed 07-Aug-19 15:23:53

Ginjeannie

Recently had a pleasant stay in a lovely hotel, staff were attentive and friendly, but constantly referred to us as “you guys”
“What are you guys doing today?”
“Are you guys ready to order?”
“Would you guys care to see a wine list?”
Made me smile, but I didn’t really like it, preferable to being Madam though!

Teetime Wed 07-Aug-19 15:29:55

I hate it and will often correct it. I dont mind being 'folks' as we called the other day in a local bar.

Maggiemaybe Wed 07-Aug-19 15:30:24

I don’t mind any it it really, if it’s politely meant. Guys, Madam, Mrs, Ms, Love, Darling, even Dear as long as it’s not from someone younger, when it sounds patronising.

What would you prefer to be called?

SirChenjin Wed 07-Aug-19 15:44:05

'You guys' is widely used here in Scotland - can't say it's ever bothered me as it's a friendly term which is meant well.

eazybee Wed 07-Aug-19 15:44:47

Oh yes; I hate it. It is over familiar and presumes an intimacy which doesn't exist.

Charleygirl5 Wed 07-Aug-19 15:50:41

That does not bother me but Miis and Ms do. I also do not like to be called madam- I do not run a brothel.

I could also add dear, pet and love.

Jane10 Wed 07-Aug-19 15:53:37

I prefer Madam! At various appointments I'm often asked how I'd like to be addressed. I always say madam. They are usually so flummoxed after that that they don't call me anything. grin

sharon103 Wed 07-Aug-19 16:07:48

Hate it too and being called madam.

Maybelle Wed 07-Aug-19 16:10:17

Not fond of " you guys" but had a manager who would always use it.
But I do object to people on the phone, that I do not know (i.e. Service engineers etc) using my first name without asking me first. I tend to correct them , saying I prefer to be addressed as Mrs Belle not as May.

TerriBull Wed 07-Aug-19 16:25:35

Our kids are of the "you guys" generation, they often address us as that when we are together, individually it's mum and day. It's said as a term of endearment so quite honestly it doesn't bother me they could call us something much worse -- hey you old gits-- or just "olds" Because we are called "you guys" by our children, if we are addressed in a similar vein whilst being served somewhere, I tend to think aaah they are of that generation. No honestly it doesn't bother us at all.

Hetty58 Wed 07-Aug-19 16:36:37

I hate it. A chap at work called us 'guys' and I told him I really hated it. I am not a guy! He took no notice. I decided to ignore him (not listen to a word he said) until he stopped.

luluaugust Wed 07-Aug-19 16:37:22

I'm surprised its pc after all I'm not a guy.

FlexibleFriend Wed 07-Aug-19 16:40:20

Fuss about nothing.

Blinko Wed 07-Aug-19 16:59:06

I prefer 'You Guys' to Madam any day. Ms just sounds awkward. Folks is fine, too.

Lessismore Wed 07-Aug-19 17:00:41

What else is available?

MiniMoon Wed 07-Aug-19 17:05:59

I don't like "you guys". To begin with I'm not a guy, although my husband is. I can't say we've been addressed this way very often.

callgirl1 Wed 07-Aug-19 17:12:11

Around here people tend to say "duck" when addressing others, sometimes lovey, but I don`t mind anything as long as it`s politely meant.

Bellasnana Wed 07-Aug-19 17:15:21

Doesn’t worry me at all.

ninathenana Wed 07-Aug-19 17:23:10

Lessismore you people ?

I'm not keen on 'you guys' last time I looked, I was female.

Ngaio1 Wed 07-Aug-19 17:25:38

Hate it. I am female....

midgey Wed 07-Aug-19 17:26:14

Better than Sweetie, okay from my mum but not the chiropodist!