Gransnet forums

AIBU

Leggings!

(183 Posts)
Kupari45 Mon 12-Aug-19 16:35:55

AIBU to think that overweight ladies look absurd in leggings and short T shirts?
Just come home after shopping in local town. While waiting for the bus I couldnt help but notice how many ladies wear tight leggings and tight t shirts - some almost look naked- in fact one had pale pink leggings on and looked obscene.
Before some of you shoot me down in flames I will admit to being size 16- but I wear clothes that fit me.!
Apart from looking a mess - surely on a hot day tight polyester isnt very comfortable.
I thought leggings were supposed to be worn under "Tunic Tops"- but apparently not.
This is just an observation- but would be interested in your opinions.

GagaJo Mon 12-Aug-19 20:34:11

Body shaming

M0nica Mon 12-Aug-19 20:52:09

Oh come on, in every aspect of life somethings look good and other's don't. I would never tell anyone what to wear, they are free to wear what they like, but I do not have to like them in it or think it suits them.

All of us at sometime in our lives come to terms with the irregularities of our figures, none of us is perfect. I have no waist, my hips are where most people have a waist and I have learnt from the bitter experience of photographs, that anything that belts around the waist, makes me look like a sack of potaoes tied in the middle and 5 sizes bigger than I actually am.. This applies whether I am overweight, weigh just right or are under weight, while clothes with a high waist or no waist at all are more flattering.

As a general rule if you are plump, it is best to avoid clothes that cling. If you do wear them, you have to accept that others will think you foolish.

It has got nothing to do with women supporting each other of getting into groups and fighting. It is a simple aesthetic judgement.

annep1 Mon 12-Aug-19 20:52:39

I love my thick leggings with long tops and thinner ones under tunic type dresses ( seasalt do lovely ones)

I do not think anyone should wear short tops with leggings especially ones that totally mold to your body parts. As Rosieleah said its as if they've forgotten to put a skirt on.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a prude and think they are immodest and not flattering at all.

And off topic a little, the shorts which don't completely cover their cheeks are unbelievable!
I'm sure men are enjoying them. But of course they're wrong for looking.

MiniMoon Mon 12-Aug-19 20:54:13

I've got a couple of pairs of leggings. I wear them with long tunics, swing dresses and the like.

Iam64 Mon 12-Aug-19 21:36:40

I like clothes and dress to suit myself. I recognise I can be sniffy about people wearing clothes I wouldn't choose to wear for various reasons - but this thread had me feeling I should rush out and buy some truly awful leggings and a short T-shirt that would expose all the flaws I dress to cover. I'm with GagaJo - body shaming is not a Good Thing.

GagaJo Mon 12-Aug-19 21:46:49

There's enough social pressure on women telling us what we should and shouldn't do without women joining in with it.

Laugh at the fat woman with visible rolls of fat if you like. How judgemental.

annodomini Mon 12-Aug-19 22:28:11

A sad example of a young woman in not very opaque leggings through which it was possible to see, without even looking (IYSWIM), that under the leggings there was a Tena Lady or equivalent.

annep1 Mon 12-Aug-19 22:48:11

Annodomini that is bad. Do people not use mirrors. I always look when I dress.

agnurse Tue 13-Aug-19 00:28:27

IMHO leggings should never be worn as regular pants. Way too tight.

I see nothing wrong with wearing them under a dress or skirt. I do this myself. I only wear dresses and skirts since I've been married (personal choice) and my leggings help keep me warm in winter.

Grandma2213 Tue 13-Aug-19 00:46:31

Only rarely wear leggings, usually black with a tunic top. They are actually quite slimming as I have quite thin legs but need the bum and belly hidden away! They need to be worn with short (or long ) boots though, as otherwise my feet look huge next to my skinny ankles!

I never wear tight or short tops. They just make me look awful!!

Jeans with a longer loose T shirt are also not so bad.

Rowantree Tue 13-Aug-19 01:10:09

GagaJo you spoke the words I wanted to say.
We are surely not going to sink into 'fat-shaming', are we? You might have personal feelings about what looks good, but that's your personal opinion only and it doesn't make it right.
My mother used to mutter 'Wibble wobble, wibble wobble, jelly on a plate...' when she saw a woman wearing trousers. It irritated me as a teenager and I resent the legacy it left me. I am still struggling to emerge from the self-conscious body hater I was. Nobody should judge what anyone else chooses to wear. There are things I wouldn't wear - either from lack of confidence or because I don't think they are 'me' - but that's that.

By implying that 'down there' is visible, I assume it's meant the awful term 'camel toe'? While I wouldn't like mine on display, it strikes me as odd that we can display breast cleavages but labia are taboo. H'mmmm....

As I said on another thread, I recently went to the Green Gathering festival for the second year running. It is the ONLY place I can wear what the hell I like without feeling judged. I could walk around stark bollock naked with a sandwich on my head and no one would bat an eyelid. Being there was a real treat in that respect - not feeling judged. No one staring, no one making snide comments or sniggering. Instead, friendliness, acceptance, compliments, kindness and a sense of shared humanity.

Makes yer think....

Namsnanny Tue 13-Aug-19 02:19:45

Sounds great Rowantree!! smile

All I have to say on the matter is please make sure they are thick enough.....one of my sons girlfriends always wore thin ones and nothing was left to the imagination!

annep1 Tue 13-Aug-19 07:48:37

Agnurse you haven't worn trousers since you got married. Just wondering why you made that decision.
It's not the camel toe thing- its wearing leggings that cling to our bum and show the outline of pants. It just doesn't look nice. I personally dont think showing too much cleavage is flattering either. Nor are very tight trousers on men where you can see their bits defined. And why would anyone want to walk around in public stark naked?
I don't think its right though to make fatter people feel bad. My daughter is quite big and only feels comfortable in black loose clothes.

harrigran Tue 13-Aug-19 08:54:39

I have always worn leggings, initially when I was travelling to sports hall where I played badminton several times a week, continued to wear them with tunic tops as I got older.
Leggings are convenient and comfortable for my tummy after the needlework I have had done on it.

jura2 Tue 13-Aug-19 09:00:39

I am chubby - and there will be no 'fat shaming' from me. But I agree with OP- and often wonder why some young women (and not so young) who are overweight (like me) choose to wear things that make it so much more obvious and in 'everyone's face'. I do wear leggings sometimes, with a long top or short dress.

M0nica Tue 13-Aug-19 09:08:56

My DD is overweight, body like a beach ball, but long slim legs. Like me, though for different reasons, she has no waist and skirts are really not flattering. She lives in leggings and trousers. With loose fitting, but never baggy tops in all kinds of colours and designs.

annep1, your daughter sounds like mine, and mine wears bright colourful clothes, goes swimming a lot, so wears a swimming costume and never lets her weight limit her life in any way, encourage your DD to do the same. I think hiding under baggy black clothes draws attention to people's size, rather than allowing them to to hide it (and themselves?).

fizzers Tue 13-Aug-19 10:11:31

I'm a big lass and I wear leggings with long tops, long T shirts and longer length jumpers. I don't care what anyone thinks.

There's too much going on in the world to be worrying and commenting on what other people wear, if they are happy leave them be.

Theoddbird Tue 13-Aug-19 10:19:00

I have seen the same.... Do their family not tell them?

GoldenAge Tue 13-Aug-19 10:21:18

I can’t believe this posting !!! I have always said that women are their own worst enemies - how condescending to comment on the physical appearance of another woman - we need to support rather than attack - there’s enough of that in our patriarchal society

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 13-Aug-19 10:23:40

Yes, it has to said that leggings look better with long tops.

I wear jeggings which are a half-way house and don't think they look too bad. In this heat it's dresses which are cooler than separates.

Of course we shouldn't criticise others for their clothing choices. Many of us try to make an effort to look smart and reasonable.

Nanny27 Tue 13-Aug-19 10:27:39

How can you not understand Rowantree that cleavage is considered acceptable but public display of genitals is not. (camel toe)?

jaylucy Tue 13-Aug-19 10:29:08

I've only gone as far as wearing jeggings that are thicker and always with at least a hip length top
Leggings are fine - really comfortable apparently, but if over a size 14, should be worn with a tunic top or as one of my friends does, with a dress.
I think they are worn because they can be really comfortable and because of this, some people just sling anything else on with them.
Worst ones I have ever seen were on a young girl, they were white, very tight and so thin that you could see the colour of her knickers - they weren't white or nude colour either!
Oh, and the part you don't want to see "down below" is apparently a "camel toe" !!!!!

Greciangirl Tue 13-Aug-19 10:31:27

I quite agree. Fat women should not be wearing leggings.
Or if they do, at least wear a long top.

I think they just don’t care what they look like.

Nannan2 Tue 13-Aug-19 10:32:29

Some people have nothing else to worry about.....grin

Blondiescot Tue 13-Aug-19 10:32:46

Well said, GagaJo! I thought we were trying to move on from the days of body shaming. What's it got to do with anyone else what someone wants to wear? I'm short and fat and if I want to wear leggings, then I bloody well will! I have a health condition which means I can't wear anything with a fixed waistband, so it's comfort first every time for me. I sometimes see larger girls or women wearing things I wouldn't dare to - but good on them! Wear whatever you want - life's too short to worry about what others might think.