Gransnet forums

AIBU

Our lives being governed by the retail

(86 Posts)
Greytin94 Sun 18-Aug-19 21:43:20

Yesterday my daughter went to our local supermarket and there at the door were boxes of Christmas sweets.
It’s August for goodness sake!
It seems that retailers operate on a different time frame to us. It’s like wishing our lives away.
I also feel the same about Easter eggs on the shelves immediately after Christmas . Plus don’t get me started on back to school advertisement in shops in June , when the poor children are still weeks away from their summer holiday.
Retailers seem to hasten our years away.
Sorry , rant over .

M0nica Mon 19-Aug-19 14:25:53

Just because stuff is in the shops doesn't mean you have to buy it. andequally why keep going shopping?

I just shop when I need something. I do my weekly shopping from a prepared list and only go clothes shopping when I perceive a need for a specific item of clothing. I am the same online, only look for items when I know I need them.

As for Christmas, many people on tight budgets do start collecting things months in advance. Presents being sent by sea to reduce postage costs, start needing to be sent by October. I bought my first stocking present for this year in this years New Year sales and I have picking odd things up ever since. I already have half a dozen presents in my sock drawer.

I am amazed that people buy sweets for Christmas - and then eat them well in advance. Christmas sweets are always well wrapped and tucked a way in a drawer are soon forgotten. I will probably buy the Christmas sweets in early November and they will be untouched on Christmas Eve.

petalmoore Mon 19-Aug-19 13:53:08

Check the ‘best before’ or ‘use by’ dates before actually buying any of these pre-seasonal goodies in order to spread the cost of festive spending plans. You will almost certainly find thAt those dates are well before Christmas. Of course, you may feel it’s a good excuse to eat them all yourself ...

Musicgirl Mon 19-Aug-19 13:49:41

Greytin94. If you come to my house you can have all the purple ones you want and all the Snickers and Bounties out of the Celebrations tin.

Jaycee5 Mon 19-Aug-19 13:43:56

Children don't get the same anticipation as we do of it being a special day.
Having hot cross buns all year round seems wrong to me. Why not just have current buns the rest of the year.

jane1956 Mon 19-Aug-19 13:39:31

Having worked in retail, the other side of the coin is that no matter how long you have stuff on show for, people still come in on the last day, ie red nose day/Christmas eve etc and want particular things, saying we had those months ago does not help though

Aepgirl Mon 19-Aug-19 12:36:37

GreyTin94, how I detest items being sold before the appropriate season. I make a point of boycotting shops, including charity shops, that display Christmas cards etc before the middle of November - and I tell the shop managers why. I was once told that people buy Christmas cards early to post them abroad - what route are they going to take 4-5 months?

Bijou Mon 19-Aug-19 12:02:35

Halloween and Christmas stock appearing early means that it is impossible to buy gardening stuff. With milder winters gardens need attention most of the year.

MawB Mon 19-Aug-19 11:46:06

Thank you for reminding me * Greytin* - should have had the sprouts on by now ????

Saggi Mon 19-Aug-19 11:44:00

I had my first on-line Christmas advert in June.

grannyqueenie Mon 19-Aug-19 11:41:25

Very good point indeed gingergirl

Hetty58 Mon 19-Aug-19 11:39:29

You can stay away from the shops and order in just what you need (then they just can't get to you).

Craftycat Mon 19-Aug-19 11:38:02

If daft people didn't buy Christmas sweets in August they wouldn't put them out.
Blame the customers! The retailers will only do what works to get them more sales.
I know someone who does all her Christmas shopping in the January sales. Makes me wonder of she ever buys anything her family actually WANT!

FC61 Mon 19-Aug-19 11:31:28

As children in the 60’s we all got excited about Easter because hot cross buns and Cadburys Creme Eggs appeared and disappeared! Christmas was about tins of Quality Street, ( stealing triangles) and seeing the tree decorations you hadn’t seen for a year! What do children have to get excited about these days when everything is available 24/7/365 days. Becoming rich at Fortnite, flying to Lapland, or getting a new iPhone for Xmas? We learned to get excited about the small things. I still am.

Margs Mon 19-Aug-19 11:29:11

And with it being oh so easy to (mindlessly) whack the cost onto the plastic then it'll sell too!

The retailers are in a win-win situation - the consumer are the losers, especially when the credit card statement comes whizzing through the letterbox.

"I can't have spent that much......!"

Grandad1943 Mon 19-Aug-19 11:27:32

Thinking about it, you could also aad few rashers of rationed or black market bacon to go with the sausages.?

DanniRae Mon 19-Aug-19 11:24:06

Oh b1zzle - Christmas is only 130 days away and I am not ready!
Now I am in a panic grin

Grandad1943 Mon 19-Aug-19 11:23:41

If Brexit really does interrupt the food supply badly, you could give all your friends and relatives as presents a pound of sausages each.

You could stock up on them now and then by Christmas they could be a really valuable present, much appreciated. ?

quizqueen Mon 19-Aug-19 11:17:03

Should be-ourselves, not themselves! Whoops, incorrect use of pronoun!!

quizqueen Mon 19-Aug-19 11:15:19

If everyone refused to buy anything Christmassy till December, the shops wouldn't do this, would they, so we all only have themselves to blame.
I do buy presents throughout the year, if I see any bargains, but refuse to look at real Christmas items until after the dust has settled on my birthday in mid November

b1zzle Mon 19-Aug-19 11:09:10

I was appalled to learn yesterday that it is only 130+ days away!

Gingergirl Mon 19-Aug-19 11:09:02

Its ridiculous and I think reflects society’s inability to focus on the moment....we’ve always got to be looking ahead to the next thing and I think it breeds anxiety and discontent. Last year I made a concerted effort to ignore, more than I usually do, all the early Xmas hype etc., and it was a whole lot more enjoyable.

inishowen Mon 19-Aug-19 11:04:27

Our summer holiday to Lanzarote starts Aug 29th. I can't find shorts in any of the shops.

4allweknow Mon 19-Aug-19 11:02:11

The supermarkets get all those seasonal items in early as if you buy from one you have taken trade from another. Eg Tesco has sweets in now, you think oh I'll start getting ready for Christmas and look! they are on special offer what a bargain. You buy now therefore taking the trade from another store. The stuff for Christmas was probably ordered last summer and produced last Christmas. We are all subjected to the marketing gurus.

polnan Mon 19-Aug-19 11:00:19

cynical comment coming...

I think the tinned biscuits/chocs etc are left over stock from last year!

However, wish my gks would think earlier for Christmas,,, they never give me their list and links (I have to buy online now) till the last minute.. I do like my Christmas presents well in before the Christmas postal delay.

anyone else noticed how Royal Mail can deliver much quicker other than Christmas time?

Annaram1 Mon 19-Aug-19 10:54:03

Where I live there is a Christmas shop selling all sorts of Christmas things year round, including tree ornaments and lights. When I lived in Vancouver there were 2 Christmas shops and they were always busy.
At least we don't get those ghastly green balls (brussels sprouts) at the wrong time of year.