Gransnet forums

AIBU

Would you report it?

(67 Posts)
Laurely Mon 19-Aug-19 21:41:00

This afternoon, driving for at least 10 or 15 minutes on the outside lane of a congested dual carriageway in
slow - speed up a bit - slow traffic, my front-seat passenger and I saw a young woman in the car beside us on the inside lane put on her make-up and do her hair. Her window was down and I distinctly saw an eye pencil in her right hand and then a blusher brush. My passenger reported that at times both her hands were off the wheel while her car was moving. Its near (passenger) side rear brake light was not working. We memorised the make and registration number of the car. At last the congestion eased; it had been caused by an 'incident', and we saw the end of the clean-up. When I got home, I found the car online; its tax ran out in July. (The MOT will expire in November.) I think she was driving dangerously; should I report it? What would you do? I felt outrage at the time.

CaroDane Mon 19-Aug-19 22:22:40

Do what you believe to be right and then let it go. Remember there are plenty of traffic cameras around that at some point will pick her up so either leave it to karma or report it.

Luckygirl Mon 19-Aug-19 22:25:43

I think I would report it - I have dealt with too many road accident victims to ever feel it is right to let any incident pass unrecorded.

MissAdventure Mon 19-Aug-19 22:26:11

Yes, I think I would report it.

There will be people who say to mind your own business, and so on, but I would feel a duty to report it. (Blame my mother! She made me like this!)

EllanVannin Mon 19-Aug-19 22:41:12

By reporting it you could be saving a life/lives. This person obviously doesn't give a hang.

BlueBelle Mon 19-Aug-19 22:46:32

Yes I would if I had the number I d probably try and take a photo too

BlueBelle Mon 19-Aug-19 22:47:00

As a passenger not as a driver, the photo, I mean

maddyone Mon 19-Aug-19 22:47:06

I think you should report it, then you’ve done your civic duty and can forget about it. I sincerely hope she doesn’t kill someone, or indeed herself, with this selfish and irresponsible behaviour.

maddyone Mon 19-Aug-19 22:48:20

Isn’t it typical that a selfish person like this has no tax on her car. I wonder if she has insurance?

whywhywhy Mon 19-Aug-19 23:16:32

Yes, I would. Some innocent people could get hurt.

Eloethan Tue 20-Aug-19 00:17:09

On this occasion I think I would report it as it is such a stupid, dangerous thing to do.

harrigran Tue 20-Aug-19 08:53:54

Yes I would report it.
DH has reported our neighbour many times because he was driving a car without tax, insurance or MOT. We informed the police and DVLA, it took about two years before he suddenly stopped driving one day, must have eventually caught the attention of the police.
Driving a car whilst distracted is unforgiveable.

Elegran Tue 20-Aug-19 09:38:11

How did you find out online when the car's road tax ran out? I didn't know that you can do that unless you use a police link.

Elegran Tue 20-Aug-19 09:41:31

I've answered my own question with one online search.
www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax you need the reg number (obviously!)
It says, "It can take up to 5 working days for the records to update.", so the car in question may be insured by now.

Kerenhappuch Tue 20-Aug-19 10:21:18

I'd report it, then forget about it.

Not sure what they can do, but if the car is still untaxed they can certainly chase that up.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 20-Aug-19 10:26:25

Please do it Laurely

You will not know if anything is done but in your mind you have done all you can to prevent an accident waiting to happen.

Glad you had a passenger with you.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 20-Aug-19 10:28:34

Yes I’d do it,

MiniMoon Tue 20-Aug-19 10:29:56

I would most definitely report her. That is driving without due care and attention! She could cause an accident. Plus the fact that she was driving a faulty vehicle.
Go on, do it now.

nipsmum Tue 20-Aug-19 10:32:40

When Tax Discs were displayed on cars I reported everyone I saw with an expired tax. I reported someone I knew and they threatened that they would get the IRA to deal with me. IT never happened but the police did take action on that Tax.

Laurely Tue 20-Aug-19 10:33:58

We got the information about the car via Parkers website.

Trying to report the incident was an interesting experience. I googled 'how to report dangerous driving UK' and found advice (dated 2016) to tell DVLA. DVLA has only one phone number, and after pressing buttons, and holding, I finally got through to a live person - who told me I must tell the police on 101.

I rang 101, and got through to the automated answering service of my local force.

Tried again, selecting the option for a different force - we were miles away from home when we saw this daft girl - and finally got through to a member of the relevant police force. He took the car number, and told me that if the car is not taxed it will eventually be picked up (CaroDane, you were right) but that they can do nothing unless I go to a police station to report the incident. I am not going to do that. It would take half a day, given where I live.

I can't help wondering what the reaction would have been if we had videoed her and posted it on the internet?

BladeAnnie Tue 20-Aug-19 10:35:18

I think I would report it - as everyone has said it's dangerous behaviour and an accident waiting to happen

Hibs Tue 20-Aug-19 10:38:49

I think you should report it. I do believe that if the car is untaxed - the mot will be invalid and the insurance company will not pay out if she is involved in an accident.
It doesn't take much for insurance companies to refuse payouts and that will be the first thing they will check.

BusterTank Tue 20-Aug-19 10:39:06

Do you think anyone would take any notice of you did , or would they do anything about it ?

GrandmaJan Tue 20-Aug-19 10:53:32

I would report it but check if the car is taxed and insured before you do because if it isn’t it will add ammunition to your report. I think you can check on a particular website. I’ve dealt with too many drivers, passengers and pedestrians either critically injured or dead when I worked in A&E following accidents that I wouldn’t hesitate.

nannypiano Tue 20-Aug-19 10:54:29

Only yesterday, my son was following a car that was veering all over the place. He even caught the kerb with a wheel at one stage. My son took his number, pulled into a lay- by and rang the police. He was surprised to get a call back from them an hour later to say they had arrested the man a few miles along the road and thanked him for informing them. So yes, always report dangerous drivers. You could save lives.