Gransnet forums

AIBU

to think alcohol use should not be a mitigation when a crime is committed?

(34 Posts)
MawB Tue 20-Aug-19 21:18:20

That’s like saying two wrongs make a right isn’t it?
They should not have been drunk on vodka and they should not have gone on the rampage.
I am with you M0nica - it should earn a higher sentence not be a mitigating factor.
The world is a sad and contrary place.

M0nica Tue 20-Aug-19 21:14:32

I do not think it was acceptedin this case, but I have read of judges accepting that the accused was otherwise of good character and would not have done what they did if they had not been drunk, so instead of getting 6 months inside, which was the normal sentence for the crime, they get it suspended with community work instead.

I think there sould be a mandatory hike in the sentence if the accused was not in their right mind because they had chosen to drink, take drugs, or indulge in other high risk behaviour that led to the crime.

FarNorth Tue 20-Aug-19 21:06:59

It's their own choice to get in that state.
Harsh judgements based on alcohol being involved might cause a bit of caution among such stupid people.

jura2 Tue 20-Aug-19 20:50:34

NO excuse

Jimjam1 Tue 20-Aug-19 20:49:24

All down to choice. End of.

EllanVannin Tue 20-Aug-19 20:44:10

It's the same when drugs are involved. It gets on my nerves each time I see this as an excuse for certain behaviour.

Alima Tue 20-Aug-19 20:40:06

I agree with you. It was bad enough what those selfish idiots did. Would being drunk have been pleaded in mitigation if someone had been attacked/murdered? Anyone could commit any crime and say it wasn’t them it was the booze.

Elegran Tue 20-Aug-19 20:39:38

What was the decision of the court as a whole? (not the solicitors for the drunken louts, trying to make them out to be nice lads deceived by the demon drink - which they must have consumed quite voluntarily and with the intention of getting blootered), because if the excuse was accepted, then that is reason to condemn the courts.

M0nica Tue 20-Aug-19 20:27:13

The papers today reported the court proceedings of the louts who broke into a school and destroyed model railway kits laid out for an exhibition. They did £30,000 of damage.

One of the solicitors for the louts pleaded in mitigation that they had managed to buy and consume a lot of vodka before their rampage and his client would never have done the damage if he had been sober.

This excuse 'I only did it because I was drunk' comes up so often in mitigation pleas. Surely the consumption of alcohol should be an aggravating factor that earns a higher sentence, not excuses a crime.

Get drunk if you want to, but if when drunk you are stupid enough to commit a crime, well that means your sentence is increased by 20%. Getting drunk, is never an excuse for wanton vandalism or violence and the courts should not treat it as such.