Gransnet forums

AIBU

Lawn mowing

(128 Posts)
annsixty Sat 24-Aug-19 20:19:22

Posted and lost.
AIBU to be miffed at my next door neighbour starting mowing his back lawn at 7 :40 on Sat evening on a beautiful day with a noisy petrol lawn mower.
I have come outside with my second glass of wine after my meal.
He is retired and his teacher wife is on 6 weeks holiday, they had thei6f holiday to Greece earlier
Is it thoughtless or arrogance?

Alima Sat 24-Aug-19 20:32:15

Must admit that it wouldn’t bother me. Far better the summer sound of a mower than the summer stink of someone’s BBQ wafting though the open windows. Would a pair of ear defenders help?

annsixty Sat 24-Aug-19 20:40:30

Honestly cant see myself sitting outside with a glass of wine wearing ear defenders but can actually see the funny side of that.
Thank you for putting it into perspective,

MiniMoon Sat 24-Aug-19 20:51:53

There have been mowers and chain saws going all round here today. To top it all, the neighbour's son came round, went into the garage and started an engine which sounded like it exploded! There was an awful smell of burning for a while afterwards.

Purpledaffodil Sat 24-Aug-19 21:01:14

annsixty, I know what you mean. We’ve had a neighbour apparently sanding floors all day When he stopped, next door but one neighbours’ party started with lots of whooping and shouting. I am trying to remind myself that everyone has a right to do home improvements and party in the garden. Perhaps I too need ear defenders??

Callistemon Sat 24-Aug-19 21:36:15

We've had a neighbour tapping at concrete with what sounds like a chisel for three years now ...
And a yappy dog to the rear
And lots of crashing sounds at half past midnight somewhere nearby - like someone throwing things into a skip!

Give me the sound of a lawn mower any day, mind you, not a smelly petrol one.

wine for you annsixty

Tangerine Sat 24-Aug-19 21:38:45

Better than 7.40 am!

SueDonim Sat 24-Aug-19 21:45:07

It's neither thoughtless or arrogant. He's mowing his lawn at a time when he assumes that many people will have gone indoors for the evening.

I'd be far more put out by lawn mowing at 7:40am!

rubysong Sat 24-Aug-19 21:47:50

Our grass needs cutting but it has been so hot today, it would have been evening before we were able to face it. Probably the same for the neighbour. I can't quite see the relevance of his holiday arrangements.

Minniemoo Sat 24-Aug-19 21:48:28

My neighbour always mowed his lawn at 6.30am. Once a week throughout the summer. For years. I never complained. Not to him anyway. I think I'd have preferred 7.40 pm.

GrandmaMia1 Sun 25-Aug-19 08:10:54

I agree with suedonim actually neither, I would be annoyed if I had small kids in bed but not out with my second glass I wine, I would be mellowed.

suttonJ Sun 25-Aug-19 08:12:01

Dear me. I can think of far worse things to get het up about. As the song says 'Let it go!'

harrigran Sun 25-Aug-19 08:19:16

Sorry but I do not see this as a problem in fact quite practical. After a hot day the grass would be dry enough for the lawn mower to cut the grass efficiently so it would be less time consuming.
The fact that he had been abroad for his holiday has nothing to do with the fact that the grass needed cutting.

polnan Sun 25-Aug-19 08:20:15

I don`t understand why anyone wants a lawn that needs mowing nowadays..

gravel,,, gravel gardens!! meadows? camomile lawns? etc... creeing thyme lawns...??? I gave up on lawns that need mowing a long time ago... and more environmentally friendly,, and I bet your neighbour complains about the Royals using a jet plane, (once?)

Esmerelda Sun 25-Aug-19 08:28:02

Yes, YABU. It was very hot yesterday and that seems like a very sensible time to cut the grass. Why do you assume that your sitting outside, sipping a glass of wine, is more important than your neighbour cutting his grass at a time when he won't get heat stroke? And what on earth has he and his wife's status or their holiday plans got to do with it? Just who is being thoughtless and arrogant here?

annsixty Sun 25-Aug-19 08:29:53

I actually didn't say I was het up, I said I was miffed, which I think is different.
It was a very warm evening , unusual for the North and I am sure that lots of people would be taking advantage of the opportunity to sit outside, something we have not had the chance to do much this year.
However I will go along with the majority view that I was in fact being very unreasonable and hang my head in shame for my unkind thoughts.

loopyloo Sun 25-Aug-19 08:36:44

Perhaps he is thoughtless and arrogant which is why his wife has gone away for 6 weeks.......

annsixty Sun 25-Aug-19 08:38:41

Also I only pointed out their " status" to say they have all day, everyday to mow their b....y lawn.

SunnySusie Sun 25-Aug-19 08:48:42

I would completely support the view that neighbours with gardens in a residential area should spare a thought for others nearby who want to enjoy their own outside space. I curse and moan about the neighbours (luckily two doors up) who love garden parties, and the guy next door who is addicted to his strimmer. I must admit though I did mow my lawn yesterday evening! It was too hot in the day and round here the evening seems to be the accepted time. Folks were sitting in their gardens most of the day, so no time was a good time. Hoping the good weather continues for you so you have the chance for a glass of wine outside today when your neighbour definitely wont be mowing his lawn.

Babs758 Sun 25-Aug-19 08:51:18

Try living with a neighbour that patio washed for 3 hours!

annsixty Sun 25-Aug-19 08:52:57

Thank You for that kind reply Susie
I was quite shocked at some of the sharp remarks.
I must learn to grow a thicker skin.

25Avalon Sun 25-Aug-19 08:55:37

Gosh there's one or two people who give some really unpleasant answers here on Gransnet. I think you are being a bit unreasonable but I can understand that you feel miffed. Yes early evening is probably a good time to mow the lawn and don't forget it is starting to get dark just after 8pm now so that is the last chance of the day really. But does it have to be a Saturday when he could do it any night of the week? Having said that Saturday is when you get barbies and parties so if that is all the noise you are getting then perhaps you are lucky! I can understand though that you just wanted to go out and relax in the garden with your glass of wine only to be thwarted. LIfe is like that sometimes when you least want it. On the bright side he won't want to do it again for several nights so you can sit outside tonight in peace and quiet unless he decides to hold a wild raucous party in his wife's absence which is why he was mowing the lawn!!

TrendyNannie6 Sun 25-Aug-19 09:04:13

Wouldn’t bother me what time anyone mowed their lawn to be honest, I’d probably say while you are doing yours, you are welcome to do mine too lol

Maggiemaybe Sun 25-Aug-19 09:07:29

I agree it’s a bit thoughtless, annsixty, when they have all the time in the world to do it. We have a couple of retired folk here who spend most days in their gardens, yet often have their garden fires at weekends, the only time most people can get their washing out. I feel sorry for the younger people affected and just wonder why they do it.

Qwerty Sun 25-Aug-19 09:07:55

Our son lived in Germany for a while. They weren't allowed to vacuum after a set time in the evening because they lived in a communal block and it might upset neighbours. They had to get all sorts of written permission if they wanted a large item delivered and once when he left his car parked on the street for two days it was towed away. It drove him mad!