Gransnet forums

AIBU

To know that - I know what I don’t want to do ....

(82 Posts)
Bridgeit Thu 17-Oct-19 08:48:40

I have tried most classes, keep fit, Pilates, yoga, stretch your mind & body , volunteering etc etc ....
so I have now reached the stage where I know what I don’t want to do, but cannot think of anything that I do want to do but I do want to do something ,does anyone else feel the same?
Should I be bothered or just accept that we all get a bit jaded ?

yggdrasil Thu 17-Oct-19 08:56:43

Check out your local U3A. Loads of choices in the one place

Bridgeit Thu 17-Oct-19 09:00:34

Thank you yggdrasil , I will check it out.

dragonfly46 Thu 17-Oct-19 09:02:52

Have you tried NWR? Just a group of sociable people who meet in each other’s homes and discuss a wide range of topics. Alternatively what about a book group. I don’t like formal classes either but do like getting out with people.

Bridgeit Thu 17-Oct-19 09:06:55

Thankyou dragonfly46

BradfordLass72 Thu 17-Oct-19 09:36:09

And there are some wonderful, free online courses at FutureLearn.

Every subject you can think of.

I've taken Forensic Science, archaeology, psychology, About the Brain, Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, lots of history and much more.
Course are quite short and you can dip in and out just when you have the time.

Bridgeit Thu 17-Oct-19 10:06:42

Wow that’s impressive Bradfordlass72, & thank you

Davida1968 Thu 17-Oct-19 10:13:42

I think that with Pilates you need to do more than "try it". Weekly is best: I go to a group which I find really helpful for me: it was hard at first, but I've stuck to it! Any exercise class needs a commitment of going regularly to get the most from it.

Bridgeit Thu 17-Oct-19 10:33:55

Yes you are absolutely correct Davida1968, back in the day I was dedicated & fit (or so I was told?)
My use of the word - tried - was a little misleading
I should have said is that my :Get up & Go has Got up & Gone?, I think about getting it going but that’s as far as it gets !

Bridgeit Thu 17-Oct-19 10:56:43

Even my passion for reading has diminished, which is why I wondered if it’s just part & parcel of getting older for all of us.
We often hear people say Use it or loose it. But does it really matter if we do ?

Barmeyoldbat Thu 17-Oct-19 11:04:07

I am pretty much the same, I have flitted from one to another. Basically I think I am happy just doing my own thing when I want. Cycle, crafts, swimming sometimes, read a book etc I would just go along with how you feel.

Bridgeit Thu 17-Oct-19 11:13:26

Yes I think you are right Barmyoldbat good advice.
If we cannot please ourselves now , we never will .
I sense a cream bun & a slouch calling ?

Madgran77 Thu 17-Oct-19 11:22:23

U3A is good. And maybe try out different types of volunteering ...there are so many different ways and one might suit you

Bridgeit Thu 17-Oct-19 11:27:47

Thanks Madgran77

MissAdventure Thu 17-Oct-19 11:39:32

People always say to join "meetup", but I never want to join a group of women for shopping days and soul weekenders and discos.

I want to join one for women who want to just knock about doing nothing in particular.

Bridgeit Thu 17-Oct-19 11:47:05

With you on that MissAdventure

EllanVannin Thu 17-Oct-19 12:02:26

Oh, cream buns. It's ages since I had one of those Bridgeit.
I used to buy them by the box from Sayers.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 12:02:45

Is that what they do on GN meetups? Soul weekenders and discos?!

I had no idea. I thought it was coffee and cake in John Lewis caf.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 12:04:01

Love old fashioned cream buns. Can't seem to buy them now. Artificial cream of course. None of your real stuff.

humptydumpty Thu 17-Oct-19 12:38:39

Agree gonegirl - artificial cream and jasm -yum!

pinkquartz Thu 17-Oct-19 12:44:03

MissAdventure

you could try putting up a notice on your Internet local area Board and ask if there are like minded souls near you.
People just to hang out and natter with.

MissAdventure Thu 17-Oct-19 12:48:30

Hmmm..
Lots of unsavoury men people looking for "company."

I'd be wary of that.

Judy54 Thu 17-Oct-19 13:01:00

How about the WI mine is definitely not jam and Jerusalem. As well as interesting Speakers we go out for lunches, have a craft group, theatre group and a walking group. They are always open to new ideas from Members and willing to set up other activities which may be of interest. Mostly we have a good chat and a laugh.

Bridgeit Thu 17-Oct-19 13:13:45

It’s lovely to read all your comments & suggestions, I’m definitely going to go for that cream bun now ,it will help me decide ??

Tedber Thu 17-Oct-19 16:08:39

Funny you should start this post. I was just at the nurse for my annual MOT. She asked me what exercise activities I do? Had to admit that although I go OUT a lot now am retired, everything generally ends up eating and drinking! Even taking kids to soft play we often have lunch and walking the dog often involves us stopping off for tea and scones at local dog friendly cafe ?.

Like you I have joined many different gyms, yoga, dancing classes but never stuck at anything. Absolutely hated gym.

Nurse shamed me into thinking of trying harder! But thinking back have hated exercise classes all my life so doubt am going to find it exciting now.

Think will join you for cake. ?