Gransnet forums

AIBU

NOT real meat

(115 Posts)
Esspee Sun 27-Oct-19 07:18:01

Saw the title of another thread which made me think of Tesco.
Visited there on Friday and the entrance smelt of a delicious casserole which was bubbling away just inside. Tasted a sample which was excellent then from the discussion taking place discovered that what I thought was a sausage casserole was in fact a vegan product.
AIBU to feel that artificial meat products should be clearly labelled? I'll be making it myself tomorrow - with real sausages!

tanith Sun 27-Oct-19 07:25:03

Was it not made clear this was a non meat product as it is in the current advert from Tesco? I see plenty of products that are labelled as non meat in Tesco.

Yehbutnobut Sun 27-Oct-19 07:25:57

Why real sausages? If you thought it was ‘excellent’ I don’t understand.

Julesw Sun 27-Oct-19 07:27:33

It's funny really that the vegan brigade go ape if meat products are not clearly explained to the hundredth degree but the same seems not to be true for non meat products.

I am not anti anything, in fact I enjoy a varied diet which often includes delicious vegetarian/vegan meals.

I do worry however, about the vehemence of their protestations against any opinion that does not adhere to their own.

Hetty58 Sun 27-Oct-19 07:38:57

Julesw, maybe it's because we find it rather repulsive that people still eat rotting dead animal?

Yehbutnobut Sun 27-Oct-19 07:49:38

Never met a vegan who goes ‘ape’ yet. I think you are anti-vegan though.

janeainsworth Sun 27-Oct-19 08:11:32

I can understand people not wanting to eat animal products but I don’t understand the apparent need to make things with non-meat ingredients look as if they are in fact made with meatconfused
I mean, if I gave up eating fruit and vegetables, would I bother trying to make a bacon sandwich look as if it were made with tomatoes?

LullyDully Sun 27-Oct-19 08:16:14

I suppose the sausage form of food is easy and satisfying and does not necessarily need meat. A good way to " package food". We do need to eat less meat, but I am not prepared to give it up altogether, just cut down. The casserole from Tescos is a good way to do this I am assuming.

Amagran Sun 27-Oct-19 08:24:10

I fully respect the choice of people who do not eat animal products.

However, eating meat is not unnatural to us and is how we have evolved as humans. It is thought that the concentrated protein provided by eating meat in our evolutionary past enabled us to develop our large brains.

BlueBelle Sun 27-Oct-19 08:25:33

Janeainsworth how else would you make it if you want it to take some sort of shape even if it was just left as little bits people would say you were trying to make it look like mince processed Meat has already taken up all the shapes known to Man beef burgers ...circles ham ....squares fishfingers ...rectangles what is left to make the vegan products into without people like you saying they re copying meat

There are no shapes left to use without being a pc used if copying You tell me how it could look ?

BlueBelle Sun 27-Oct-19 08:26:25

Accused of

mumofmadboys Sun 27-Oct-19 08:26:51

If it tasted excellent I think you should have given the vegan product a go .We all need to eat less meat.

BlueBelle Sun 27-Oct-19 08:29:28

I don’t understand in the least that you found something really tasty so you immediately want to change it ??makes no sense at all

Eglantine21 Sun 27-Oct-19 08:29:41

Surely legally there must have been information about the contents of the casserole. To protect people with allergies.

You couldn’t let people just dip in!!

lizzypopbottle Sun 27-Oct-19 09:43:04

janeainsworth, I agree that vegetarian/vegan 'meat' products is a form of oxymoron. There are plenty of them and BlueBelle, they are definitely made to look like meat and are marketed that way. There are burgers, bacon, nuggets, mince, sausages etc. I'm not the least bit embarrassed to be seen eating lentils, beans of every kind, mushrooms, fruit and vegetables with no meat on my plate. Neither am I embarrassed or ashamed to be seen eating meat, Hetty58 and, while it's definitely dead, it's never rotting! There are plenty of vegan restaurants springing up so people who find meat eaters repulsive don't need to look. In this case, if thine eye offend thee.....

Rosina Sun 27-Oct-19 09:51:11

I find the false 'meat' products rather silly too - I don't want to eat meat, so a pretend sausage or chicken bite won't tempt me. I too find it strange that having tasted a delicious meal you are a little annoyed that you weren't told what it was; a veggie/vegan would obviously be unhappy having inadvertantly eaten meat because of priciples about animals.

Callistemon Sun 27-Oct-19 09:59:48

I don't understand the need to make vegan products look, smell and taste like meat either.

I would have thought that the words 'sausage', 'bacon' 'chicken' etc would repulse a true vegan.

It is truly odd.

Mollygo Sun 27-Oct-19 10:01:18

If it tastes good I eat it- vegan chocolate cake, cauliflower burgers, bacon and egg sandwiches, roast chicken, etc. I agree with the labelling comments though.
BlueBelle’s shape point is true, sausages, burgers, pieces, lasagne, ‘meatloaf’ all useful shapes. It did however make me laugh to be offered vegan king prawns! Why not call them spikes or curls? If you don’t want to eat animals including prawns, then don’t call it a prawn.

Davidhs Sun 27-Oct-19 10:03:30

It’s a sort of inferiority complex that makes vegans want to copy meat products, why not just eat beans or vegetables instead of fake meat. It is said that more of us are eating non meat meals these days - a flexitarian, I’ve always been that I eat what I fancy wether it has meat or not.

I have no interest in what someone else eats, if they have an eating disorder I’m sorry about that. If they try to tell me what to eat they have a serious personality disorder.!

Callistemon Sun 27-Oct-19 10:04:02

Eglantine another good point

It could contain any number of ingredients which could make people very ill indeed if they have an allergy or auto-immune disease.

The product could be any shape you wish without using a well-known term used for meat eg bacon

Luckygirl Sun 27-Oct-19 10:04:47

If it was "excellent" just enjoy it!

HiPpyChick57 Sun 27-Oct-19 10:15:58

Here’s one veggie who doesn’t think it’s wrong to eat meat (my daughter would disagree) I don’t eat it because of the cruelty involved in the slaughter of animals. As for meat substitutes most of them are pretty disgusting apart from one or two.
Esspee can you put the recipe of that casserole on here please it sounds fab.

Hm999 Sun 27-Oct-19 10:16:18

The supermarkets and food suppliers want to extend the veggue/vegan meals to carnivores who are keen to reduce their meat intake.
(Surely sausages contain very little meat anyway?)

Callistemon Sun 27-Oct-19 10:25:34

Sausages usually contain about 97% meat plus a binding product eg potato and salt, pepper etc.

Davidhs Sun 27-Oct-19 10:27:05

Supermarkets don’t care what you buy as long as they make money out of it