Gransnet forums

AIBU

Faffing about.

(59 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Tue 05-Nov-19 15:22:55

I am not allowed to drive after my eye op so friend drove me and waited 15 mins at the doctor.
My punishment came next. She drove erratically to several shops then left me in car while she went to the bank.25 minutes later she came back ,did a u turn across traffic then we went to Lidl.Half an hour later she was still pottering while I waited. I told her I usually did banking on line which is much quicker but she wasn't interested. Glad to be home and hope to drive myself next time.Kind of her though but I have no patience.

boodymum67 Tue 05-Nov-19 15:25:04

well at least she did take you

Poppyred Tue 05-Nov-19 15:44:43

You sound ungrateful......

fizzers Tue 05-Nov-19 15:49:58

why shouldn't she run a couple of errands of her own whilst she was out and about in her car? drove and picked you up, waited for you and also brought you back, don't be ungrateful

Esther1 Tue 05-Nov-19 16:04:48

She should have warned you she wanted to do errands on the way home - it wasn’t as if it were one quick stop. Then you could have either gone along with it all just happy to have a lift, or decide to find another way to get home. I bet you were gritting your teeth. She should have warned you so I think she was actually a bit thoughtless, even though she gave you the lift and had a very short wait for you.

Resurgam123 Tue 05-Nov-19 16:10:48

The hospital always warns that your appointments might take a lot longer than they thought.

I have had the hospital eyedrops for a long time over the years .
Most of them are the quick ones and can drive but home but if there are any real problems you will be there some time and have to get transpotr
and If you have the simple short time ones you can get away with out the short time .
The longer term drops can make your eyes be out of focus for a long time, am
I am not taking risks our local hospital is good.

Gonegirl Tue 05-Nov-19 16:17:49

I had eye drops at the hospital a while back. I made the mistake of riding my bike there. It was late afternoon and getting dark when I came out. Everything was a blur and I pushed my bike through the traffic-ky bits and rode it almost blindly along the river part. I should have got a taxi but I didn't want to leave my bike overnight. How I made it home I don't know. grin It was horrific.

Be glad you had a lift. It could have been worse.

annep1 Tue 05-Nov-19 16:18:48

Theres not much to be grateful for imo. I don't think that was helpful at all. If I was driving someone home after an eye op I wouldn't do anything, except drive them straight home making it as smooth a journey as possible. I think I eould get a taxi next time.

annep1 Tue 05-Nov-19 16:19:40

Not could - would!

Poppyred Tue 05-Nov-19 16:29:47

She wasn’t driving her home after her eye op??

Gonegirl Tue 05-Nov-19 16:32:23

Oh right! I thought 10 minutes wasn't very long for an eye op. grin

It was only a visit to the doctor. Oh come on! Just be thankful.

ladymuck Tue 05-Nov-19 16:45:04

I don't suppose she'll bother again!

annep1 Tue 05-Nov-19 19:15:21

Oh I see. Lol. I got that wrong. Oops.
I still think the driver could have warned you though that she would be doing all those errands.

Tedber Tue 05-Nov-19 19:28:04

Definitely you ABU! Not quite sure what your gripe is to be honest! You got a lift back when you couldn't drive yourself. Presumably the time it took was only a couple of hours out of your life?

Not sure I would want to volunteer to help someone who is so ungrateful.

FlexibleFriend Tue 05-Nov-19 19:41:59

The thing is we all do people favours when asked because they need help with things but we don't know what they actually think about us because they don't say. No doubt you thanked your friend and she went off thinking she'd done a good turn not knowing you then came on here telling us how you'd been punished. Tbh I wish I hadn't read this thread because now whenever I do someone a favour I really don't want to be thinking about them possibly bad mouthing me to all and sundry. Whether you intended it or not you sound selfish and ungrateful and I feel sorry for you but not as sorry as I feel for your friend.

Fiachna50 Tue 05-Nov-19 20:40:32

You are lucky to have such a good friend.

Urmstongran Tue 05-Nov-19 21:17:52

15 mins at the GP. In exchange for an hour and a half for banking & shopping?

Kind of her.

But I’d get a taxi and back to the surgery next time.

annep1 Tue 05-Nov-19 21:23:55

Oh I think you're all being a bit hard on Kircubbin. She's just having a grumble about all that driving around and waiting. She has said it was nice of her friend.

FlexibleFriend Tue 05-Nov-19 21:45:20

She also said she was punished, and it's not very nice to moan about your friend after they did you a favour.

MissAdventure Tue 05-Nov-19 21:51:21

I'd be fed up with faffing too.
Yes, it's kind, but I would rather make my own way than put up with someone piddling about.

aggie Tue 05-Nov-19 21:54:34

I get your point , I depend on lifts , having never driven , and am now not too good on my pins .
I dread the erratic driving , the sitting outside the shop and the sheer exhaustion of being grateful
I try to go by bus and take my walker , but sometimes I just give up and ignore appointments
Then I get an earful from everyone ... you should have said .... etc etc !

MissAdventure Tue 05-Nov-19 21:58:34

Some people seem to have no plan to their trip, such as calling into the shops in sequence.

You think you're done in but oh, no!
Now they've got to go back to the shop you first went in to queue up again to buy the thing that's first on their list.

Callistemon Tue 05-Nov-19 22:09:24

I think I'd find the U turn in traffic a bit alarming

I am not keen on being a passenger.

kircubbin2000 Tue 05-Nov-19 22:17:33

It made me notice how doddery she has got,the u turn,the bad parking etc. She didn't know where the bank was which didn't help. I was grateful and did thank her and wonder how many of us are driving about who perhaps shouldn't be.

Eloethan Tue 05-Nov-19 23:57:03

It was nice of her to give you a lift but spending so much time faffing about afterwards was, in my view, a bit inconsiderate of her. It's like because she'd done you a favour she then felt she had the upper hand and was at liberty to take as much time as suited her.

I'd prefer to take a bus or get a taxi (if not too expensive) - then I could do as I chose without inconveniencing anyone or being inconvenienced myself.

I see I'm in the minority on this one so perhaps I'm an ungrateful too (but I don't think I am).