Gransnet forums

AIBU

Early to bed...

(47 Posts)
watermeadow Thu 14-Nov-19 20:41:56

I’m tired of battling against my bodyclock, trying to stay up later and get up later. It’s antisocial and impractical to be wide awake at 5 then falling asleep at 9 but when I’m on my own it doesn’t matter, does it?
If you have eccentric ways do you indulge them or keep trying to conform?

MissAdventure Thu 14-Nov-19 20:46:16

I'm a real night owl by nature, but I often have extremely early starts at work.

Still, I'm pottering around at 1am and I know it's ridiculous.

crazyH Thu 14-Nov-19 20:55:20

I have the worst body clock ever !!! I go to bed at midnight and get up at 9 - I wish I could go earlier and get up earlier - but I am an owl and try as I want , I just can’t change. I even cook at night ready for the next day ?

BBbevan Thu 14-Nov-19 21:01:05

I am a lark. When I was teaching I was often at school at 7.30. I preferred to do my preparation before not after school
I was therefore up at 6. Fifteen years on and I still wake on the dot of 6. I do go to bed early, but read for some time. I do wonder what a lie in would be like . Might I get bored?

Katyj Thu 14-Nov-19 21:01:14

Me too watermeadow.Have you always been like this? I have but to a lesser extent, I've never been able to sleep in even as a teenager.If were out for the evening, no matter what time I go to bed I'm awake by 6pm at the latest, very annoying, as I'm then very tired by 3 pm waiting for my bed.

tanith Thu 14-Nov-19 21:04:46

Early bird here too, I’m awake between 5 or 6amI get a cuppa go back to bed for an hour or so. Come 10pm I’m ready for my bed I love that I’m up early in the Summer but it is annoying in Winter.

MissAdventure Thu 14-Nov-19 21:07:54

Any chance any of you could phone me when you get up? grin

kittylester Thu 14-Nov-19 21:16:03

Having 5 children encouraged us to be early riders and we had our alarm set for 5.45. We still wake up that early but take our time getting going. We usually go to bed at about 10 pm.

Gone are days of staying up to 2 am and then doing a full days work.

EllanVannin Thu 14-Nov-19 21:39:47

Usually fast asleep by 11 or thereabouts and awake at 6/6.30.

Callistemon Thu 14-Nov-19 21:44:00

DH is a lark and I am an owl.

I'm often nodding off for 10 minutes at about 9.30 pm, though, which perks me up for a few hours.

jura2 Thu 14-Nov-19 21:46:33

ahahahaha kitty- a typo but ;)

really made me laugh ''Having 5 children encouraged us to be early riders ''

BlueBelle Thu 14-Nov-19 21:48:38

I m a lark too i used to work flexi hours so I would often get to work at 6.30 instead of 9 I got so much done before everyone came in and then I could leave off early
It was lovely cycling down the promenade seeing the sun come up, a precious time of day
I usually go to bed between 10 and 11 pm and wake at anything between 3 and 5am my mum and Dad were always up around 6 and my Nan to her dying day was awake with the lark so guess it’s genetic

MissAdventure Thu 14-Nov-19 21:53:56

I always ended up owing hours when I did flexi time.

MiniMoon Thu 14-Nov-19 23:31:49

I'm a night owl. You can find me cleaning the bathroom at 11pm.
My DH on the other hand has always been a lark, we are so miss matched that you wonder how we've managed all these years!
I have hardly ever gone to bed on the same day I got up.
I can hear my mother now, "Mini, our that book down and go to sleep".

MiniMoon Thu 14-Nov-19 23:32:11

Put not our!

Hetty58 Thu 14-Nov-19 23:37:33

Since I retired, I just sleep when I want to. If that involves an afternoon nap, so be it!

Doodledog Fri 15-Nov-19 00:11:15

Since I retired, I just sleep when I want to. If that involves an afternoon nap, so be it!

Me too, except I can't usually nap in the day (I would if I could, though). With me, it's a lie in, after a very late night. I can't sleep if I go to bed early, and sooner or later it catches up with me and I sleep all morning.

That's fine by me - obviously if I have an appointment I set the alarm and get up tired but in time, and it's fine with my husband as we aren't joined at the hip. I do get comments from others sometimes, about 'teenage sleep', or little digs about there being no point in ringing me in the morning. No, there's not - I won't answer, but equally, I wouldn't expect anyone else to pick up the phone if I called them at 2.00am.

The way I see it, we spend so long having to work against our body clock (unless we are lucky enough to be in tune with the 9-5) going to work, getting children to school etc, so when we reach an age where we can please ourselves, why shouldn't we do so?

My mum goes to bed early, purely so she doesn't 'sleep in' in the morning. She enjoys watching TV, and there are things she likes to watch in the evenings, when she's in bed; but not in the morning when she is up, showered and dressed with nothing to do. She disapproves of my dissolute ways smile.

Katyj Fri 15-Nov-19 05:36:52

Here I am, asleep by 9.30 last night and awake by 4am ? I've been worse since the clocks went back, anybody else ? Is there anything I can do or is it just the way it's going to be.

Kartush Fri 15-Nov-19 06:21:30

I go to bed at around 12.30 then read until I fall asleep which could be 1am, 2am or 3am, then I am up at 6, this is the way I function, I find myself napping sometimes in the afternoon as I have gotten older but I find if I try to conform to the standard 8 hours sleep I always feel gluggy and cotton headed. I guess I am just not a sleeper

Sillygrandma5GK Fri 15-Nov-19 07:06:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Calendargirl Fri 15-Nov-19 07:13:00

Mum always said one hour before midnight was worth two after. (Sleep I think she meant).
I’m a lark, never have needed an alarm, but like to be in bed 10’ish.

Bathsheba Fri 15-Nov-19 07:18:24

I used to be a night owl, staying up till the early hours to finish a book or mending school clothes (!), and the struggle to get up for work/the school run was real! At weekends I would lie in till 10.00, leaving the kids to get themselves up (once they were old enough of course!)

But since I retired, that seems to have flipped and I am rarely in bed later than 10.30, and more often (especially in winter) it's 9.30. And then, of course, I'm up early, around 6.00. DH is the opposite - after years of early to bed and early to rise, he now stays up till way past midnight and surfaces around 9.00 am.

harrigran Fri 15-Nov-19 07:52:32

I have always been a night owl and DH a lark but since his retirement we have managed to meet somewhere in the middle.
DC appear to have taken after me and GC too.

dragonfly46 Fri 15-Nov-19 08:09:47

You can set the clock by us. As soon as the 10 o’clock headlines are over we are in bed.

Juliet27 Fri 15-Nov-19 08:21:40

tanith that’s my pattern too