Gransnet forums

AIBU

Boris & Jeremy Knock Out ?

(48 Posts)
yggdrasil Wed 20-Nov-19 09:16:19

I thought Julie E did pretty well. They obviously had been told to restrict answer time, and Johnson just kept returning to Brexit whatever the question and going on and on till she made him stop.
I also noticed Johnson's hands. He was clenching them a lot, even though he kept that grin on his face, it was obviously getting to him.

Calendargirl Wed 20-Nov-19 09:01:48

Well, one of them is PM Anniebach

Anniebach Wed 20-Nov-19 08:56:42

Corbyn caused laughter too with his 4 day week fantasy

The thought of either of them as PM ? Nightmare

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Nov-19 08:07:02

30,000 people responded to ITV's Twitter poll. That's a bigger sample than you get from almost any pollster. The results:

Corbyn: 78%
Johnson: 22%

This is what happens when pollsters don't call a database of Tories & then apply weighting.

The GE is Labour's to win. #ITVDebate

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Nov-19 08:06:08

"Our inability to fund the NHS is because of our failure to get Brexit done," says
@BorisJohnson
, and there we have quite possibly the boldest, most spectacular lie ever told, by the most spectacular liar this country has ever known.

Urmstongran Wed 20-Nov-19 07:49:37

JE was a lightweight. Poor management of the debate. I don’t like that they all stand a podium either. I wish it had been Andrew Neil or Eddie Mair, sat at a table (not perched on high bar stools either) asking forensic questions.

I hated the stage setting - what was with all the neon lines? Very distracting and ‘show biz’. It wasn’t a bluddy game show .... was it?

Iam64 Wed 20-Nov-19 07:38:47

JE managed the thing quite well imo. Johnson talks over everybody. Corbyn apologised to her when he did that. Johnson just continued in his 'charming' (hah) Eton debating style to shout soundbites.

JC came over better than I'd feared, he answered questions properly. All except the repeated on about which way he'd lead if he wins the election and we go into a 2nd referendum. He's a Leaver but has reluctantly recognised that if we "just leave", that won't be to the benefit of the country. That aside, I was very irritated by Johnson bringing every question back to Brexit.
On a superficial level, I do agree about the specs.

NfkDumpling Wed 20-Nov-19 07:10:28

Watching a recording of it now. I agree about the specs. So far none of the questions I want answers to have been asked.

Calendargirl Wed 20-Nov-19 07:06:01

I still wish Jeremy would get new specs, they just look askew all the time.
I thought JE did all right, short of shouting at Boris I don’t know how else she could get him to shut up. He really ought to stick to the time allowed, not good.

Ginny42 Tue 19-Nov-19 23:40:39

It was very clear that this is an election to sort out Brexit and should not be happening until Brexit had been sorted imo.

I thought Corbyn handled it well and widened the debate by speaking about other issues, but Johnson kept going back to Brexit. Corbyn spoke in measured tones. Johnson has a strange delivery style of a car engine misfiring and smirked for much of the time. I didn't understand how he could make those statements about valuing the Union when there is the NI border situation and the very real threat of a return to violence there post Brexit.

The handshake was most odd, and clearly stage-managed as they moved to position before JE had finished the proposal that they should shake hands. That didn't mean that BJ will never again use foul language.

JE was out of her depth I thought. Johnson kept interrupting and she found it hard to stop him. Whatever we thought of of tonight's performance, one of them will be PM very soon.

suziewoozie Tue 19-Nov-19 23:26:23

I thought JE was poor. Agree with the general view that there was nothing new, no knock out blows. And yes the pledge handshake was pure cringe and really demonstrated how she just got the tone wrong. Well that’s BJ done with TV debates this election and given there’s 3 weeks to go, this one will be forgotten by then.

Chestnut Tue 19-Nov-19 23:17:44

I think most people have already decided who they are going to vote for based on their Brexit views.

EllanVannin Tue 19-Nov-19 22:40:25

I watched the jungle as usual.

trisher Tue 19-Nov-19 22:31:40

Oh come on Johnson didn't want to discuss anything but Brexit, couldn't say he would stop privatisation of the NHS, was laughed at when he couldn't answer about his lies, didn't actually promise he would stop using abusive language in parliament and generally tried to make everything about Brexit. Proving if anything that he is a one trick pony with no real policies (or none he wanted to discuss anyway).

Anniebach Tue 19-Nov-19 22:13:39

So Johnson wants Brexit, Corbyn still on the fence, nothing new

Bridgeit Tue 19-Nov-19 22:08:33

Yes I agree ref JE , she seem to struggle a bit.

Grannybags Tue 19-Nov-19 22:01:40

I agree. I didn't learn anything new and thought they were just about equal performances.

I kept getting distracted by Corbyn's dirty glasses though and wondering how he could possibly see anything out of them!

NotTooOld Tue 19-Nov-19 21:54:38

Julie E did her job but I always think women are at a disadvantage in these situations because our voices are higher and lighter and do not carry as well as a man's.

I thought it was a draw. Corbyn did better than I expected and he seemed well prepared, Boris is more of a fly-by-the-seat-of his-pants merchant but has a more statesmanlike approach.

On reflection, I don't think the debate was particularly successful and will not change the minds of the voters on either side.

QuaintIrene Tue 19-Nov-19 21:45:07

I don’t know why an audience was there. It was like question time.

NanKate Tue 19-Nov-19 21:39:09

Julie etchingham irritated me. I would have like Chris Mason from the BBC to oversee the proceedings or Laura Keunssberg. Boris was a bit more prepared than usual and Jeremy good at not answering the question on whether he wanted in or out.

Sara65 Tue 19-Nov-19 21:25:23

I feel we’ve heard nothing we haven’t heard a dozen times before, same old same old.

But on a personal level, I thought they handled themselves quite well

Won’t vote for either of them though.

lemongrove Tue 19-Nov-19 21:22:24

The snap polls show even stevens, I was struck by how rattled Corbyn gets when the audience laughs at his comments (Johnson just gives a little smile) so I thought that they both did ok without any major blows being landed.
I was also struck by some of the lightweight questions, maybe I expected too much of the audience.The demand by the moderator for a handshake ( as if in church) was downright odd.
Am always surprised if Johnson does quite well in these question and answer things but he got through it while implanting the idea in the public mind that Corbyn will still not commit to a position on Brexit and if governing with the help of the SNP would have to give in on another Scottish referendum.

Bridgeit Tue 19-Nov-19 21:06:00

Any thoughts, any one ?