Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sorry but had to post this!

(97 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 30-Dec-19 17:53:11

Hot cross buns making me well, cross and hot ( under the collar!) grin

EllaKeat Mon 30-Dec-19 17:57:17

But they have been available here all year round!

Unfortunately.

I do hanker after the days when stuff like this was special?

GrannyLaine Mon 30-Dec-19 17:58:01

Saw them in Asda today, Mini eggs too. Beyond bonkers.

Chestnut Mon 30-Dec-19 17:58:28

I suppose it will be Easter eggs and Mother's Day cards before long too. The shops are after our money and will start the ball rolling as soon as possible.

EllaKeat Mon 30-Dec-19 17:58:54

My local little Sainsbury store lady was telling me that people actually go into the store on Boxing Day to buy Cadburys Creme Eggs ?

rosenoir Mon 30-Dec-19 17:58:54

Poundstretcher are selling easter eggs for dogs, wrong in so many ways.

I do like a hot cross bun though.

EllaKeat Mon 30-Dec-19 18:02:14

And, excuse me, but Hot Cross Buns are Hot Cross Buns.
Not blooming Caramel and Mochiata (sp)? lemon drizzled, jam stuffed monstrosities paraded under the Joy Cross Bun label.

I might be slightly cross ?

EllaKeat Mon 30-Dec-19 18:03:05

Joy cross bun? Freudian slip ???

Jomarie Mon 30-Dec-19 18:05:00

With you all the way EllaKeat - !!

Yennifer Mon 30-Dec-19 18:15:29

The chocolate hit cross buns are awesome, you haven't lived until you try one!

ninathenana Mon 30-Dec-19 18:23:44

Tesco sell them all year round. I buy them anytime.

lemongrove Mon 30-Dec-19 18:28:39

So far we have had joy cross buns and hit cross buns.....are you all on the Baileys early today??

Am a bit of a jam stuffed monstrosity myself Ella after consuming a large slice of a friend’s birthday cake today....tbh it was more like two slices.

tanith Mon 30-Dec-19 18:29:16

Ditto ninathenana

EllaKeat Mon 30-Dec-19 18:30:19

Joy Cross Buns are a thong of beauty 18lemongrove ?

EllaKeat Mon 30-Dec-19 18:31:11

Oh Lord..... Yes, the Bailey's is to blame......
Thing, not thong ?

Namsnanny Mon 30-Dec-19 18:34:56

Just goes to show how much I go out shopping EllaKeat !!

Although I am on auto pilot most of the time I actually do shop for my self.
Must have passed me by before, but even I couldn't miss them this time, as they were next to the Christmas sale stuff!! grin.

rosenoir … I suppose it's dog friendly chocolate? But as you say, still wrong.

I do like a Hot Cross Bun, but in it's place (ie Easter) surely?!

BradfordLass72 Mon 30-Dec-19 18:45:46

I've never liked Hot Cross Buns - well, not the commercial kind anyway.

If a real baker made them with real cinnamon and spices, as they did in my childhood, rather than a chemical substitute, I ^may try one.
But not the chemical rubbish sold in supermarkets and bakeries today.

Grammaretto Mon 30-Dec-19 18:58:32

There were chocolate eggs in the shops on Boxing day. I'm a traditionalist and can get thoroughly bad tempered to see these and the buns. Strawberries in December. Even fish on Mondays. It's wrong!!
grin

MiniMoon Mon 30-Dec-19 19:44:16

DH works in the Co-op. They sell hot cross buns all year round.

By the way Co-OP have all their Easter eggs in stock and ready to put on the shelves.

NotSpaghetti Mon 30-Dec-19 20:24:02

I make my own hot cross buns and we do only have those once a year - but my daughter often brings some from the supermarket if she pops over. The mass produced ones are nice enough but the "real" ones are delicious and quite different.

Pittcity Mon 30-Dec-19 20:38:06

DS unloads deliveries at a big supermarket and told us that Easter Eggs were delivered on Christmas Eve!

Jessity Mon 30-Dec-19 20:49:59

I get cross with card shops for similar tactics. I’ve not been but expect they will now have wall to wall Valentine cards, immediately followed by Mother’s Day, Easter, Father’s Day and don’t get me started on Christmas cards which take over months beforehand.

In our family we have several birthdays and anniversaries in December. This year I bought the relevant cards in early September knowing that any later the card shops would be swamped with Christmas cards. In mid-September!

BlueBelle Mon 30-Dec-19 21:01:40

Asda seem to have Hot Cross buns all year round they were certainly around long before Christmas

SueDonim Mon 30-Dec-19 21:12:08

My dh bought himself three Cadbury’s creme eggs today. They were for sale at £1 each or three for £1.50. confused

Septimia Mon 30-Dec-19 21:48:48

DH says he saw Easter eggs in the supermarket this morning. They're still selling off Christmas stuff.

What chance do we have of getting back to seasonal vegetables (to cut down on food miles) if festive foods are available out of season?