Gransnet forums

AIBU

Not sure how to react

(39 Posts)
Notthatoldyet9 Fri 07-Feb-20 11:02:52

Let them lead their own life ...

Tangerine Thu 06-Feb-20 20:25:01

I also agree with the advice other posters have given you.

Obviously, if you actually know he has abused her, you would wish to say something but I still think you need to be tactful.

Moving 30 minutes away is not far at all. I hope everything works out for you all.

Madgran77 Thu 06-Feb-20 18:07:54

Wait! Time will tell what you may or may not be needed for! flowers

dragonfly46 Thu 06-Feb-20 18:07:17

Never never discuss your offspring’s partner with them. You will never win and can have the adverse effect.

DillytheGardener Thu 06-Feb-20 17:04:02

Yes I’d bite your lip, because in the past when I passed comment on my son’s former girlfriends neither thanked me for it and doubled down and stuck up for them. Afterwards they said I was right, but neither wanted to hear it at the time and it probably actually made them stay with the girlfriends for longer as they were being defensive!

Kittymae Thu 06-Feb-20 17:02:23

Thankyou for your commentssmile

FlexibleFriend Thu 06-Feb-20 15:59:14

There's nothing you can do except wait and see what happens. As others have said 30 mins away is nothing really, it's definitely doable.

wildswan16 Thu 06-Feb-20 15:54:26

They are now adults making their own family. I'm afraid how and where they live is totally up to them. Just be friendly and supportive whatever the future brings. Your relationship may improve once you are not actually living on top of each other with the stress of a new baby added in.

MissAdventure Thu 06-Feb-20 15:43:09

I wouldn't do a thing, because all of those things are between your daughter and her partner.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 06-Feb-20 15:38:22

Don’t say anything, if and when they move out your DD will still want to see you, if you upset her by telling her how you feel about the BF she won’t want you around.
Enjoy having the baby with you and try to help them adjust to being a family.

Poppyred Thu 06-Feb-20 15:34:16

Early days and can’t be easy for him living in your house however well meaning. Best not to say anything...just be there when needed.

endlessstrife Thu 06-Feb-20 15:24:39

Just go with the flow. Your GC is only 3 months old at the minute. You may relish the fact they moved out when he/ she is older, and running all over the house getting into everything! As phoenix says, 30 mins. is nothing.

phoenix Thu 06-Feb-20 15:18:49

You cannot expect any input with regard to where they live, and 30 minutes is nothing!

Kittymae Thu 06-Feb-20 14:59:24

I'm probably just sounding off because this grandparenting is all new to me. I'm 45 and my dd gave birth 3 months ago. To say I don't like her bf isn't strictly true but I don't trust him, he is arrogant and the way he talks to her sometimes is wrong. They were having constant arguements before GC was born and now he's all for GC, I'm just not convinced he loves my dd as much as she loves him. He has a new job where he's earning more than he has done in the past, I'm just worried they're going to move 30 min away which is closer to his parents who don't make any effort to see GC, they are living with me atm. I just don't know how to react or what to expect. What would you do?