Gransnet forums

AIBU

Any words or phrases that you can't stand?

(330 Posts)
Dinahmo Mon 10-Feb-20 18:05:23

An early phrase that I loathe is "can I get" but a more recent one is the word curate which is used in place of collect, or select etc. Recent examples:

The Guardian" the BBC's failure to curate some news event responsibly"

A description of someone's collection of china pig money boxes (once given away free) as being "carefully curated"

A delicatessen which provides "a perfectly curated picnic"

To my mind the misuse of the word devalues the work of museum and gallery curators.

annodomini Sat 28-Mar-20 14:34:41

I meant to add criterion and criteria to that post!

annodomini Sat 28-Mar-20 13:55:28

Phenomenon - singular
phenomena -plural

Far too often one hears on the media (plural) 'phenomena' used as a singular noun. I fear that there are teachers who don't know the difference and therefore pass on the errors to the next generation
I think the boat has sailed (metaphorically) on the use of 'data' and 'media' as singular nouns, Whoever has heard the word 'datum'?

Dinahmo Sat 28-Mar-20 13:24:09

I used to know someone who always said, even if it was a conversation between the two of us "down there" or "down below". She also said that she had a "Manchester repair" and i had not idea for several months what that was.

Witzend Sat 28-Mar-20 11:44:33

Ditto to ‘birthing’!
And whatever happened to ‘new baby’?
It always seems to be just a ‘newborn’ now.

Jabberwok Sat 28-Mar-20 10:57:27

Passed over or passed away! Actually the subject has died!

TerriBull Fri 27-Mar-20 20:16:11

I'm always puzzled by "on my period" as opposed to having my period surely!, also instead of when I became pregnant or conceived so and so, "when I fell for my whoever" confused

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-Mar-20 14:24:50

Coronavirus

Alexa Fri 27-Mar-20 14:23:29

"back in " as in "back in 1939".

Wheniwasyourage Fri 27-Mar-20 12:31:31

Birthing. I didn't birth my DC, I gave birth to them or they were born. And where did 'birthing partner' come from? As I remember it, I did the work, with the support of the midwives and the medical staff, and my DH was also in a support role, but his 'partner' bit was 9 months earlier!

There are so many good/terrible examples here!

Omits01 Fri 27-Mar-20 07:23:56

Ooooh Myyyy God,

Stunning (on TV docu's) where beautiful will do,

Iconic. It appears everything is iconic now so nothing is! PS I am an iconic Human.

sodapop Thu 26-Mar-20 12:34:04

I remember those days in Harrods too. Afternoon tea there such a treat.

Alishka Thu 26-Mar-20 11:17:47

Oh, the loos in Harrods! The lady in charge used to wipe the rim, sniff, then spray with perfume when you came outgrin

Jabberwok Wed 25-Mar-20 19:03:10

Perhaps this has already mentioned! Saying sat instead of sitting. Grrrrrr!

sodapop Wed 25-Mar-20 15:47:08

I agree whenIwasyourage often when its written down its 'sneak peak' no its a peek.

I feel the same way about 'lurker' N&G wonder why that is ?

TerriBull Wed 25-Mar-20 15:34:06

"Oh my days!" what does it mean???? one of my sons came home from school well over 15 years uttering it, now I hear it all over the place.

Occasionally I feel the need to come out with well loathed expressions even though I think they're rubbish, back in the day, I often come out with that one, awful innit blush

My kids their partners and grown up grandchildren are all of the "Hi guys" and "can I get" when we are out eating or drinking, the latter always makes my husband and I suppress snorts and hope they are duly impressed when "the olds" that's us, order whatever with a "please can I have"..........but alas they're not!

Dinahmo Wed 25-Mar-20 15:02:09

Last time I went to the loo in Harrods, maybe 35 years ago it cost £1 unless you had a receipt from the cafeteria.

At one time, when I lived and worked in London I knew where the loos were in all the department stores in the West End and Knightsbridge. Sadly, some of them have been closed for a long time.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 25-Mar-20 12:53:13

Spend a penny made sense at one time, but I don't suppose the young would understand it!

GardenerGran Wed 25-Mar-20 10:23:56

Bored of
It is what it is

Calendargirl Wed 25-Mar-20 10:21:47

I think that after all this;

Self isolate
Social distancing

We’ll all be glad not to have to use those phrases.

Alishka Wed 25-Mar-20 10:19:24

Txquiltz along with spend a penny, how about "go potty"? Actually, I might go potty if the self isolation drags on, but that's not what they meantwinkgrin

ananimous Wed 25-Mar-20 10:08:28

It has been brought to my attention that "DILEMMA" is also on the HN "banned" list, now. wink

Txquiltz Wed 25-Mar-20 09:32:45

Spend a penny....how gross!

Witzend Wed 25-Mar-20 09:27:40

peeps
kinda
gonna
sorta
They all make me want to e-slap whoever wrote them.
(Not that I ever do.)

Witzend Mon 16-Mar-20 09:35:18

‘kinda’ (recently seen elsewhere) as in, ‘I kinda feel like...’

CocoPops Mon 16-Mar-20 03:51:21

These seem to be popular phrases today but seem somewhat meaningless to me.
"What's not to like"
"Back in the day"
"It is what it is"
"I feel your pain"