Gransnet forums

AIBU

Spell my name right!

(140 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 16-Feb-20 13:37:27

In my generation you were probably named either Susan or Ann (or Anne) Bad enough to be one of five in the same class with the same name but every time I give my name I have to spell it.
I blame my mother and just put up with it but I get irritable when, after knowing or communicating with someone for some time, they keep using the other spelling.
It seems rude to point it out but they are rude to not use the right spelling of my very common name. I want to say No, there’s no E, it is not spelled any old way at random. Each of us is either Ann or Anne, roughly half and half so it’s not odd to have the E or to not have the E.

Musicgirl Mon 17-Feb-20 18:11:50

Bluebird64, Fiona was very popular in England when l was born in the sixties; l have known several and was nearly given that name myself. Isn't it interesting how names go in and out of fashion? Other girls' names that were very common at that time were Helen, Julie, Maria (The Sound of Music was a big hit!), Susan/Susanna/Suzanne, Jane, Joanne, Claire, Nicola, Gillian, Catherine/Katherine, Sarah, Elizabeth, Sharon and Tracey. My own name, while not as common as these, is very much of the time too. I am amazed that anyone called Linda would have their name questioned. It has to have been one of the most popular girls' names of the fifties, along with Susan, Ann/Anne, Gillian and Janet.

Athena Mon 17-Feb-20 18:02:31

To be honest, I'm hopeless at remembering names. So if anyone gets my name wrong I am so encouraged that it's not just me.

Summerstorm Mon 17-Feb-20 17:23:01

Constantly being asked is it Mc or Mac which is fair enough but the ridiculous spellings and pronunciations of the second part is something else again

Aepgirl Mon 17-Feb-20 16:42:00

There are far more things to be bothered about - better have your name spelt wrong than be ignored.

Neilspurgeon0 Mon 17-Feb-20 15:58:38

I had a married cousin long dead whose married surname was cousin, or maybe couzen, none of us ever really knew and because her first name was the way she was recorded in the address book (Thelma C) none of us ever did find for sure out until her funeral

Phloembundle Mon 17-Feb-20 15:44:57

My sister is Ann without an e which she always pointedly mentions when required to give her name. Her surname is another matter entirely!

Alexa Mon 17-Feb-20 15:43:31

You know that thing you sign for the TESCO delivery man?

I like to sign my first name with my finger tip.

Jillybird Mon 17-Feb-20 15:38:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lizbethann55 Mon 17-Feb-20 15:22:40

I am Ann without! As a teenager I was very flat chested so "Ann without" suited me perfectly. It doesn't bother me too much, but I never cease to be amazed by the number of odd names that children have these days.

madmum38 Mon 17-Feb-20 15:13:48

Both my first and middle names can have different spellings, ring anyone up and you get is that spelt with a Y? Second name, with or without an E, then post comes through and they have spelt the very common surname wrong, I give up lol

Merryweather Mon 17-Feb-20 15:11:14

My name quite obviously starts with a F.
The amount of people who use Ph just lately is unreal. I have no idea why some people find it tricky when it just isn't. I can see its a similar grapheme, but ask don't guess if you're not sure.
It's like Davies and Davis. You'd clarify to make sure you spell it correctly surely?

libra10 Mon 17-Feb-20 14:39:56

There are two variations of my name, the masculine version ends in 'is', female version 'es'.

It's amazing how many people type the masculine version, even when responding to an email I've written.

SpringyChicken Mon 17-Feb-20 13:59:05

I didn’t turn up for work once and the office called to ask why. “Because I’m not on the rota for today “ I replied. They spelled my name with a J in some places and G in others. I thought there was a new person on the rota. They didn’t make that mistake again.

cathyd Mon 17-Feb-20 13:43:51

I have double the problem as my first name can be either C or K as well as Anne with the E. I always ask before spelling a name, probably because of my names.

grandMattie Mon 17-Feb-20 13:38:41

I’ve got a French first name which is invariably misspelled and mispronounced and unusual British surname ditto. If asked I correct people, but always check that they a correctly written on forms etc. Very tiresome

Silverlady333 Mon 17-Feb-20 13:35:11

Mirren I am from the NE too and my late sister was a Lynn.
As for my own name it is rarely pronounced or written correctly sometimes it is even written as two names! People insist on putting a G int he middle of my surname! I am soon to be remarried and there are different ways of spelling my soon to be surname. They sound the same but they are very different so that is going to be fun too!

GrannyBlossom Mon 17-Feb-20 13:30:38

My name can be spelt in 3 ways. I accept any variation. It is not reasonable to expect people who don’t write your name often to remember. I can’t see why this would be important to anyone.

Rosina Mon 17-Feb-20 13:29:55

I have a five letter surname, not particularly common but neither is it unusual, and very definitely English in origin. I have to spell it out every single time it seems, otherwise some hilarious varients can result!

Tillybelle Mon 17-Feb-20 13:23:31

I completely agree that people should make the effort to spell names correctly. Like many others, my name has two alternatives. I have even been told that mine is the wrong spelling "for a girl". My surname also is well-known but the famous version is spelled differently to mine. I find the spelling of my names quickly tells me what kind of person I am dealing with, whether they be courteous and considerate or rude and arrogant.

Quizzer Mon 17-Feb-20 12:43:36

I have a very unusual name and always have to spell it. Even worse, when people read my name, more than half mispronounce it. I blame my parents! What really annoys me is when someone repeatedly mispronounces it - that is just rude.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 17-Feb-20 12:37:48

My mother named me after her favourite flower and being a flower grown world wide , not at all difficult to spell or pronounce, there's always someone who has to say ' 'how unusual /never heard of that/ how do you spell it.?

Bluebird64 Mon 17-Feb-20 12:35:56

My name is Fiona which was very unusual outside Scotland when I was born (I'm from a Scottish family). It's not commonplace today but much more familiar, and I'm gobsmacked at how often I've been asked to spell it! And my surname too, which is quite easy. Maybe this just reflectsna general downturn in spelling ability, and should not be taken personally!

Foxyferret Mon 17-Feb-20 12:29:09

My surname is a common name but spelt with two ss not the usual s. When I start to spell it for people, they roll their eyes and say “I know how to spell that” then invariably go on to spell it wrong. Grrr

EMMF1948 Mon 17-Feb-20 12:26:49

The only time it irks me is when people I have known for years, spell it the usual way.

We once had a good friend to whom we gave birthday, Christmas cards, all with his first name. It was only when he moved away and we had to post them that we realised that neither of us was certain of the spelling of his surname, x or ck?

RustyBear Mon 17-Feb-20 12:17:55

The mum of one of my daughter's friends had a first name that could be spelt with or without an 'e' - and married a man whose surname sounded the same as her first name, but spelt a third way! Personally I think I would have kept my maiden name in that situation!