Gransnet forums

AIBU

Prat Tabs (aka designers' logos)

(104 Posts)
Dinahmo Tue 18-Feb-20 12:21:36

Could anyone explain why people are prepared to spend lots of money on handbags and clothing that have the designer's logo (known in my house as a prat tab) clearly visible. A recent Guardian fashion article has photos of bags by Dior, YSL, Chanel et al, some with their logos, such as YSL as the clasp.

The girl who sings the latest James Bond theme was on tv this morning, wearing Burberry clothes but also a deep sweatband with the name emblazoned across the front.

Is it because the wearers want to show how rich they are?

Callistemon Thu 20-Feb-20 17:42:14

My specs say Cath Kidston on the side.
They were the only frames that fitted properly.

sweetcakes Thu 20-Feb-20 17:32:39

Grumppa
Never buy designer glasses what's the point and it's not because there posh it's because there to dam expensive ?

mumofmadboys Thu 20-Feb-20 16:44:25

I spent £150 on a Bridge handbag 11 years ago. It is tan leather and I still love it. Used it continuously for 11 years.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Feb-20 16:43:59

Good quality watches are an investment as long as you keep original paperwork and boxes. Much higher return than leaving your money in a savings account.

grumppa Thu 20-Feb-20 16:42:18

Good point, sweetcakes. I did refuse to consider buying a pair of glasses that had the designer's full name in gold down each side.

gillyjp Thu 20-Feb-20 16:26:32

Would never pay more than £50 for a bag. As long as its practical for my requirements and is a colour I like and more importantly I need it, I'll buy it. It then goes to the charity shop when I'm bored with it. As for watches, I love the sparkly ones frequently sold as 'duty free' on airlines when you're flying. However I would never in a million years wear one with 'SEXY' emblazoned across the watch face. Or is it 'SEKSY'? Either way it's not for me. I know that a reputable watchmaker makes them but please take off the stupid logo and I might consider buying one as they're inexpensive and pretty.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 20-Feb-20 15:56:52

I find it hilarious that people are getting their knickers in a twist over designer labels, I have lots I’ve bought from tkmaxx over the years. Obviously they are not costing hundreds, I go for the look of something, if I like the look of it regardless of what it says I will buy, totally agree with Sweetcakes you all get into cars BMW Audi Volkswagen, what’s the difference!!!

jaylucy Thu 20-Feb-20 14:52:55

Many people in social media and in films and tv either get gifted items for free advertising by the companies or are paid to wear them.
I see F1 World Champion Lewis Hamilton even has his own designer range - a sweat top is about £300!
I have no objection to people wearing branded goods, the only thing is that it then filters down to schoolchildren who get bullied if they are not wearing the correct brand.

ayokunmi1 Thu 20-Feb-20 14:37:42

The quality of the bags are really good I do have a fendi bag over 30 years old. It cost a lot but I have no regrets buying it.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 20-Feb-20 13:55:54

A lot of so called designer stuff is fake, sold on market stalls and cheap as chips. It also funds criminal activities like drug smuggling and terrorism so would be good if everybody was aware of that, not to mention the child labour and sweatshops that produce it.
Sadly I believe that some of the very expensive couture fashion is also made in these sweatshops. Not an endorsement for labels, genuine or fake.

Keeper1 Thu 20-Feb-20 13:52:20

It isn’t just the west that want things. There are an awful lot of Chinese tourists who buy everything designer too

Dinahmo Thu 20-Feb-20 13:34:03

Newatthis Biba and Mary Quant didn't have labels or logos on the front of their clothes as far as I recall. Some companies have had recognisable symbols - Louis Vuitton with LV on the luggage, Hermes with snaffle bars on their shoes and Chanel with the interlocking CC on the quilted bags but when I was young most people wouldn't have recognised the designers.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Feb-20 13:25:46

French Elegance, Christian Dior, Yves St Laurent, Chanel and many more all recognisable “labels”?

Bluebird64 Thu 20-Feb-20 13:22:43

Yes, I think it is, combined with a lack of the elegance for which the French are famous. It is also free advertising for the company, which the wearers are probably not aware of!

Newatthis Thu 20-Feb-20 12:45:29

I can remember going to Mary Quant or Biba and buying their clothes. I wish I still had them as they would have been so 'in vogue' now. I saved up to get them even though I knew I could have bought similar in C & A much cheaper. It was so much fun. I think all young people love designer tags.

tickingbird Thu 20-Feb-20 12:35:43

I also have more than one Mulberry bag. The leather is superb and they’re very well made. All bought in the sales but still pricey. I use one or the other daily and have done so for years. Logos very discreet apart from one which just has a large metal mulberry bush on the front. IMO quality is worth paying for as it lasts for years.

Dinahmo Thu 20-Feb-20 12:31:11

Crazycatwoman I'm sorry but I think that anyone who pays a large sum of money with the designer's name emblazoned is a bit of a prat. 3 bags in particular caught my eye in the article - a Dior shoulder bag with a very large CD on the front £2350, a YSL bag with very large letters on the front £1280 and one from Balenciaga with the name discretely stamped in small letters. (a snitch at £800)

timetogo2016 Thu 20-Feb-20 12:00:03

Well said Callistemon.
Couldn`t have put it better myself.

CaroleAnne Thu 20-Feb-20 11:55:13

My dear aunt who died many years ago would make her own clothes and sew Harrods labels in the back of the neck. Such are folk!

sweetcakes Thu 20-Feb-20 11:53:00

Yet you all get in cars with their brand badge displayed proudly on the front BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Volkswagen ? what's the difference.

Deed5y Thu 20-Feb-20 11:49:14

I agree with most of the above - also can anyone explain the holes in jeans look? Madness and I can’t help worrying about the wearers’ cold knees.....

Mollygo Thu 20-Feb-20 11:48:41

I don’t buy things for the prat tab (love that) but when my seconds shop Radleigh bag lost its little dog, they were kind enough to send me another. If I like something and can afford it I’ll buy it but some prices are ridiculous. My mum used to say, “If I’d had enough money to pay that much I’d want to keep the price tag on it”- so perhaps prat tabs are exactly like that.

sandelf Thu 20-Feb-20 11:39:21

Really really hate them - will not buy items with Gap, Next, Tu etc emblazoned across my front. There is another place on here where the staff are asking which brands we would like them to 'work with'. I hope they take note - generally we like clothes that do the job - not advertise where we shop.

nanamac77 Thu 20-Feb-20 11:37:48

Love the name 'Prat Tabs'. Will adopt it from now on - though don;t really take notice of/discuss/ want/ care about said prat tabs!

Witzend Thu 20-Feb-20 11:31:39

Maybe good for a laugh sometimes, though! A dd once worked in an office where their major PITA manager - who had to have everything better/more expensive than everyone else, and would make a point of it - came back after one Christmas proudly showing the very expensive designer label bag her dh had given her.

She was not just mortified but actually furious enough to let it show, when one of the ‘lesser’ staff turned up with an even more expensive bag - same brand - also a present from her dh.
How very dare she have anything more expensive??

Needless to say, cue much hilarity among the rest of the staff!