Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is anyone else becoming neurotic?

(331 Posts)
dragonfly46 Thu 26-Mar-20 10:31:17

We have just had a delivery of medicine from Boots and instead of keeping his distance the young lad who brought them leaned into the house and put them on the shelf by the front door. At that point he was less than 6 feet away from me. I have sprayed the area with bleach and washed my hands umpteen times but I still worry as I am a high risk.

I worry about food deliveries and handle them with disposable gloves and any other deliveries are put in the dining room for at least 72 hours. Even the post is viewed with suspicion.

MawB Thu 26-Mar-20 10:33:43

Understandable.
There is a fine line between sensible and neurotic, and with health issues, it is surely best to remain on the right side of that. smile

GagaJo Thu 26-Mar-20 11:27:00

I’m neurotic. I’m counting days since my last contact but have to keep resetting. My neighbour dropped a parcel off to us but wouldn’t leave it on the doorstep and I had to crack the door to take it. Reset to zero days!

Urmstongran Thu 26-Mar-20 11:41:52

My husband has just shopped at the supermarket across the road. Only one person is allowed out. When he came home he left his shoes outside the front door, came in, took off all his clothes and put them into the washing machine and had a hot shower.

That’s it now till next Thursday! I will be slightly apprehensive till Sunday night. I can’t help it.

Our youngest daughter is a teacher in the U.K. Thursdays & Monday’s are her rota days in work. She has 2 young children at home with daddy, her husband. She strips off when she comes home and showers before giving either child a cuddle.

All this is anxiety on steroids.

seacliff Thu 26-Mar-20 11:56:53

Are we meant to wash all deliveries? If I get a parcel, I take it from where it was placed outside, with gloved hands, and wipe with a damp disinfectant cloth or wipe. (then dispose of same)

But what about my supermarket delivery? I read we should wash all fruit and veg in soapy water, assume weak fairy liquid, then rinse. Does that kill it? Surely not lettuce? I did wash all pots of yoghurt etc with soapy cloth. Let it all dry, then in fridge. Washed hands well. Feels a bit over the top.

I don't have an outside porch where I can leave things for several days. No point self isolating if deliveries bring the virus here.

Nonnie Thu 26-Mar-20 11:57:06

Perhaps the precautions are a way to feel we are doing all we can which helps mentally.

My neighbour has gone shopping for me. I will bring it all in and wash things before putting in the fridge and then not touch them for 3 days. Always washing hands after touching things from outside. Apart from that, what will be will be.

Daddima Thu 26-Mar-20 12:06:20

My neighbour has always asked if I need anything. Yesterday she said she was going to the chemist, then to the shopping centre because she needed kitchen roll! When I suggested that kitchen roll wasn’t essential, but I could give her one, she blithely replied , “ Oh, no need, we’re allowed to go shopping”.
To say my gob was smacked is putting it mildly.

Daddima Thu 26-Mar-20 12:10:44

Just seen this -

Callistemon Thu 26-Mar-20 12:57:47

I am supposed to be isolating (vulnerable elderly!) but have just been informed I will have to go to a hospital unknown to me nearly 40 miles away and collect my medication from a ward inside that hospital.
How does that work then?

paddyanne Thu 26-Mar-20 13:25:13

I'm in panic mode,its not normal for me .I was so stressed yesterday I ended up sitting on the bathroom floor in tears .My OH has health problems and the more I read about the virus the more I stress.The final straw last night was a "friend" ,good intentions no doubt ,letting me know that 76% oF deaths in Italy were people who had High BP .I had managed to forget about OH's BP and my own .I didn't sleep much last night .I'm avoiding all CV things on news and in media from today .Stay safe Grans ,

annodomini Thu 26-Mar-20 13:32:26

In the tropics, we used to have some kind of germicidal chemical we added to water when we washed vegetables. I have no idea what it was. Does anyone here know?

seacliff Thu 26-Mar-20 13:37:58

I wonder would salt in water be enough?

grannysyb Thu 26-Mar-20 13:38:10

Possibly Milton, use to use it for babies bottles.

annsixty Thu 26-Mar-20 13:38:41

I think washing in Milton would do the trick.
It is safe and babies drink milk from bottles that have been sterilised in it.

Grandmafrench Thu 26-Mar-20 13:38:52

What? Callistemon ? Do hope you will ask them. Sounds like the last sort of place you should be visiting, unless you are told to attend for treatment, of course. If you're not convinced that this sounds safe for you and the medication can't wait, can someone else - younger/fitter/braver etc., go for you?

grannyactivist Thu 26-Mar-20 13:42:52

I'm not going out and not allowed to answer the door or take in parcels, so have no need to fear contamination. My husband is not neurotic, but he is careful in the extreme. Our daughter, who is an ICU/ECMO nurse has written three pages of actions she and her husband (also an ICU nurse) will take when they return from work. They have a young daughter with an underlying medical condition and my daughter will take any steps necessary to keep her safe.

Grandmafrench Thu 26-Mar-20 13:56:40

Does the scientific explanations as to how this Virus is made up, encourage us to wash stuff with soapy water? I think I've seen articles recently in the British press by experts. Hence the thorough hand washing with soap. I am a great hand gel, Dettol clear spray, antiseptic wipes type of person - especially as I have animals and have to deal with lots of places where they sit and shouldn't be. I'd also be tempted to think of Milton. But since reading during this Virus problem that the Virus really struggles to survive once the fatty part of its makeup starts to be compromised, it's my understanding that using sprays and alcohol-based stuff is probably not so efficient as using soap/washing up liquid/hot water to fight it.

I have probably explained this badly but I just get the mental picture of how well washing up liquid works on grease. It's cheap, it's not harmful if it's rinsed properly after use, I believe. I wash down almost everything that comes in and out of the house, and before it does, with hot soapy water. Let it dry thoroughly.Parcel packaging etc., is left outside. ( What a chore it is, you should hear the language). I am now seriously thinking of bags over my shoes for any supermarket visit, and then bin the bags. Neurotic? Moi?

I must be half right because our dustmen have been complaining to the Town Hall about risks - since they don't have the correct clothing for this situation, they say. So we have now received instructions to please put all masks, tissues, gloves, covers etc., in a separate refuse bag, close it carefully and leave it outside our homes until dustman day (twice a week). Then we can put it in the bags in the main wheelie bin for collection with everything else. I swear we are living life in a Sci-Fi film here in France at the moment !

Lavazza1st Thu 26-Mar-20 13:59:32

I keep thinking I must bath the dog to reduce germs from outside...

Hetty58 Thu 26-Mar-20 14:10:48

Grandmafrench, I'm thinking along the same lines as you. Washing up liquid solution is brilliant at drying out greenfly, after all.

I leave all parcels in the hall for two days. I bring them in with doggie bags on my hands (useful for opening doors, too, as I happen to have a lot of them).

It's only the fridge and freezer things that are problematic. I wipe down with soapy water anything I can, would like to spray with Milton (don't have any yet) and always wash hands thoroughly after handling freezer stuff.

I read that the virus can survive 2+ years of freezing. When all this is over, I'll be bleach cleaning the fridge ice box and freezer - just in case.

Grandmafrench Thu 26-Mar-20 14:15:13

When this is all over, Hetty, I think we're going to need a damn good rest !

suziewoozie Thu 26-Mar-20 14:27:14

Call a friend of mine in a similar situation ( hospital 20 mikes away) is having her medication sent by her by post - would this be possible?

MiniMoon Thu 26-Mar-20 14:34:37

I know how you all feel. I was even wary of a Mothers day gift in a cardboard box which my daughter left on our porch floor. I know for certain that she hasn't been anywhere near anyone with the virus as she has autoimmune problems, and granddaughter has asthma. Still I was wary about picking it up with my bare hands.

M0nica Thu 26-Mar-20 14:35:01

AmI getting neurotic over the CV, The answer is 'no'. I am acting with proper caution and care and following all the rules we have been given and then getting on with enjoying this new life.

Of course I could get the virus and die, but I am in good health with no underlying health problems and if I get it I will start worrying about it then.

GagaJo Thu 26-Mar-20 15:23:55

I'm really glad you said that Hetty58 (for any of you who doubt it, I looked it up and she's right). I've put stuff in my freezer and assumed after 3 days it would be safe.

I guess I need to repackage stuff before putting it in the freezer.

dragonfly46 Thu 26-Mar-20 15:33:23

I find the freezer stuff worrying.
I spray everything that comes in with a solution of bleach.