Gransnet forums

AIBU

Has the first minister given a clear briefing today

(35 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Thu 21-May-20 13:34:57

Having watched Nicola Sturgeon today on the updated briefing for Scotland I was really pleased with the clarity of her message please no politics in reply or during this discussion I can’t be bothered with fanatical politics. I just want clarity on the future of the country and everyone to be singing from the same hymn sheet

GrauntyHelen Thu 21-May-20 13:38:59

I believe she has. I am still watching the questions being put to her and she is answering with clarity and patience

Barmeyoldbat Thu 21-May-20 13:54:06

I wish we had her instead of Boris, she always clear.

Orangerose Thu 21-May-20 13:59:45

Barmyoldbat - I love your name. It really suits you.

Ilovecheese Thu 21-May-20 14:20:23

Orangerose Did you mean to be so rude?

J52 Thu 21-May-20 14:23:11

I listened, clear, concise and considered.

Sussexborn Thu 21-May-20 14:28:57

Presumably Barmyoldbat has a sense of humour. She chose the name herself. A bit more concerning if someone else chose it for her!

Lucca Thu 21-May-20 14:48:54

I think she’s always clear and dignified

quizqueen Thu 21-May-20 14:52:13

Why be offended over a name you chose to register for yourself!!! Maybe it needs to changed to 'offended snowflake'!

Orangerose Thu 21-May-20 14:57:03

Ilovecheese don’t be silly. Honestly what is wrong with people. I’m not explaining myself to you. I know what I meant.

Lucca Thu 21-May-20 14:59:20

Snowflake again. Snowflakes are beautiful things but now the word is a cheap insult.
Barmeyoldbat didn’t claim to be offended by the way.
It was another poster (who was quite right)

Orangerose Thu 21-May-20 15:01:01

Quite right about what Luca?

Granny23 Thu 21-May-20 15:16:45

Didn't take long for this thread to be subverted in a ridiculous manner. {sigh}

I do agree with the OP. The first Minister's briefings and statements are the only ones I watch now. Always clear and straightforward, unlike the others which leave me more confused than enlightened.

Brunette10 Thu 21-May-20 15:48:22

Granny23 I totally agree with your comment. I actually thought Elizabeth1 post was quite clear on what she wrote - simply - clarity of NS speech today. Why do others wish to 'pop in' with ridiculous comments re names of other GN's. I just can't fathom this out at all. My view is that NS was clear and concise in her speech today as she has been throughout this whole process and the way forward for all us Scots. I certainly hope we are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

varian Thu 21-May-20 15:57:01

I also agree with the OP. In spite of my dislike of the separatist agenda of the SNP, I think that Nicola Sturgeon is by far the most experienced and competent politician we have right now.

As I don't currently live in Scotland, I can't comment on the effectiveness of her policies, but she does an excellent presentation every day. She talks well. She does not patronise her audience. She never resorts to meaningless soundbites and cliches like the dreadful UK government spokesman constantly do. She answers questions directly. I have even heard her say she doesn't know the answer to a question and apologise for things they might have got wrong.

Well said Nicola. You are certainly impressing a lot of folk in England.

MayBee70 Thu 21-May-20 16:51:13

She also has her speech signed which I’m very impressed with.

Chewbacca Thu 21-May-20 16:59:37

Why is it rude to compliment someone on their username? They're chosen by the individual; they're not foisted on us, so why was orangerose accused of being rude to barmeyoldbat? confused

mcem Thu 21-May-20 17:06:18

NS did well again today.
Clear, concise with no faffing.

Grandma70s Thu 21-May-20 17:08:25

I find NS very hard to listen to. There are lovely Scottish voices and there are harsh ones - hers is the latter. It gets between me and the content of her speech. Some English voices have the same effect. So I’m not sure if she was clear or not!

Marydoll Thu 21-May-20 17:14:54

I was most impressed by her clarity, no bumbling at all.
It was a well prepared speech, which in my opinion gave us a little chink of light for the future, but no empty promises with the proviso that if there is another spike, measures will be tightened up again.
I'm not an SNP supporter, but Boris could learn a few things from her.

As someone who is shielding I was pleased to hear that consideration is being given to the impact on the mental health those of us who are shielding.
We know that the isolation imposed by shielding over a long period of time is in itself very difficult and indeed harmful. And so, although we are not changing our advice on shielding yet, I can confirm that we will issue new guidance before the initial period of shielding ends on 18 June.

Could also reiterate what the OP has asked, can we please stick to the original post?

suziewoozie Thu 21-May-20 17:36:51

I listen to NS just to remind myself what a real leader sounds like.

Marthjolly1 Thu 21-May-20 17:44:02

NS is a great speaker and has dealt with the pandemic with great maturity honesty and clarity with respect for the people of Scotland. I appreciate her considerate, careful, slowly cautious approach which is done for the good of every sector of society here. I do not support the Independence movement but am very glad to have Nicola at the helm at this time.

Orangerose Thu 21-May-20 19:34:30

Thanks Chewbacca. Some people really are ridiculous.

SueDonim Thu 21-May-20 19:39:03

A lot of fine words but not much substance behind them. My dd administers services to schools and the detail simply isn’t there to make it happen. Unions haven’t been consulted and nothing has been said on nurseries, which many teachers rely on for their own children.

Also, unless clarified later on, we are restricted to meeting another household within five miles of us. For people like us who live rurally, five miles is ridiculous, that limit barely gets me into town and it further than that to the nearest supermarket. As always, she can’t see beyond the Central Belt.

From what I’ve seen so far, I don’t think I’ll be allowed to see my very elderly mother until August at the earliest. She lives alone and has scarcely seen a human face for eight weeks now.

Marydoll Thu 21-May-20 19:54:55

Nicola Sturgeon was interviewed this evening, both on STV and BBC Scotland.

She said to use your common sense if you had to visit an elderly parent, who lived a distance away.
I think her advice was where possible not to travel too far, but there are exceptions, if you had to see an elderly parent.