Gransnet forums

AIBU

Phones etc and manners

(110 Posts)
Bathsheba Fri 21-Aug-20 15:09:13

It’s very rude. I also get irritated when someone visits me, sits down for a chat with a cuppa I’ve made them, and then proceeds to answer every phone call and text message that comes in. One who does this regularly will jump on her children if they interrupt, but seems incapable of recognising the irony of allowing her phone to constantly do the same ?

annep1 Fri 21-Aug-20 14:58:52

My husband does this too. I have been known to take his phone off him and close the cover before continuing. He also scrolls through Facebook and plays silly posts out loud. I have to keep telling him to use his earphones. I don't want to hear!
He is an intelligent person. I just don't get it.
I think they are a bit obsessed.

rockgran Fri 21-Aug-20 14:30:09

Maybe you should call him on his phone for a chat!

timetogo2016 Fri 21-Aug-20 14:27:23

Yes you are right Elegran.
Another idea would be to just stop talking to him.

Elegran Fri 21-Aug-20 13:51:22

Clare Fight fire with fire. Next time he telling you some rivetting account of his day, pick up a magazine and start to read it. Out loud if you feel like it.

Doodledog Fri 21-Aug-20 13:39:00

I agree that it's rude. Before Covid, I was in a city centre pub and saw a group of young people sitting together. None of them spoke to any of the others - they were all on their phones, tapping away. It went on for far too long for it to have been a case of checking on missing people - they seemed set for the night when we left. I was with my son, who was around the same age as the young people, and he thought it was strange behaviour too.

Chewbacca Fri 21-Aug-20 13:29:57

This really irritates me; I consider it the height of bad manners. My ex did it constantly and, as lovebeige suggests, I just stopped speaking and walked away. It didn't stop him. And that's another reason that he's "ex".

The other thing that annoys me is people being served in shops or supermarkets, who continue with their phone call conversation, whilst not even acknowledging the existence of the person serving them. Damned rude.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 21-Aug-20 13:24:08

It is bad mannered. I expect the only thing is to walk away even if you're in mid-sentence. If he asks why then say that if he can't give you his full attention you're not going to engage in 'half a conversation.'

B9exchange Fri 21-Aug-20 13:18:40

No, it is rude. If you want to talk to him about something important, I would take his phone away first! grin

ClareAB Fri 21-Aug-20 12:54:51

My OH drives me mad when, in the middle of a conversation, he picks up his phone or computer and starts scrolling, answering messages etc. It feels like he's simply not interested, disengaged and bored.
It has got to the stage where if he picks up his phone and looks at it whilst I'm talking, I simply walk away and tell him I think it's rude.
He either doesn't get it, or simply doesn't care. Am I being unreasonable to find this aggravating and rude?