Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hypnotherapy

(64 Posts)
Sallywally1 Mon 31-Aug-20 20:07:47

Has anyone ever tried it and was it of help?

PetersAvawag Thu 24-Jun-21 17:55:38

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LullyDully Fri 04-Sep-20 08:25:15

Good news summer

Summerfly Fri 04-Sep-20 02:22:04

I’m really late reading this thread but I would like to offer my opinion.
Many years ago ( more than I care to remember) I had an awful addiction to cigarettes. It got to the point where one night DH had to take me to A&E because I was having difficulty breathing! After a lot of umming and ahhing I decided to seek help. I honestly didn’t think I would ever stop smoking. I searched the internet and found a hypnotist who came highly recommended and rather sceptically I thought ok, I’ll give it a go. So glad I did. More than twenty years later I haven’t so much as wanted a cigarette and I can’t bear the smell of them now. I’ve never looked back. So my advice would be, find someone reputable and give it a go. I’m so glad that I did!

LullyDully Thu 03-Sep-20 19:19:27

Can I learn to self hypnotise to help me.sleep?

Ellypat Wed 02-Sep-20 20:51:59

I’ve used it twice in my life, once for severe anxiety, once for general stress. Worked brilliantly for me. Mind you, I was told by both practitioners that I was a good subject, so I suppose it may not work as well for others.

Madmaggie Wed 02-Sep-20 18:38:53

My hubby quit smoking successfully thanks to one session of hypnotherapy and the inclusive second back up session just sealed the deal. His mother was a heavy smoker and would nag him to join her in a cigarette but he never did so again, not even when she had to get him to 'light up' for her as she got very doddery. He says he just never got the urge to smoke again. He went back to the same chap (all properly licensed etc) when he realised he was drinking too much spirits, now he just has one glass of red a night, no spirits & doesnt crave them which is what he was aiming for. Since we moved he went to a new chap in an effort to establish a good sleep pattern & do away with taking sleeping pills - that was unsucessful. I too went to this person in an effort to deal with some pretty long standing emotional issues. I was hesitant at first but they don't 'put you out' you are totally aware at all times, I sat in a chair in a peaceful room. I had 3 sessions and yes it has helped me.

Alexa Wed 02-Sep-20 11:42:52

Only once, and he was a real quack and rather stupid.

DanniRae Wed 02-Sep-20 11:28:56

I too have heard great things about the Alan Carr book smile

BelindaB Wed 02-Sep-20 10:27:36

I tried it for this and whilst the first session seemed to work, the second "reinforcing" session undid the work of the first!

Acupuncture was a complete loss and a waste of money....

After far to many years (from age 12-ish to late 60's) I was hooked, but eventually managed to give up with a "puffer" and reading the Alan Carr book rigerously! Highly recommended.

DanniRae Wed 02-Sep-20 10:21:41

I have also tried with 3 different therapists and it did not work. Having read this thread I am going to look into self hypnosis. Has anyone who has used self hypnosis got any advice, please?

nexus63 Tue 01-Sep-20 23:13:40

i tried is with 3 different therapists but it did not work, they could not get me to go under (there words), they all said i was to much in control...whatever that means

Tangerine Tue 01-Sep-20 20:28:40

I must admit I've never tried it but people I know have done so and found it successful.

Why not give it a try?

You have nothing to lose in many ways by doing so, although I accept you will have to pay for the hypnotherapy so it could turn out to be a waste from a financial point of view.

123kitty Tue 01-Sep-20 20:23:25

Tried it for my insomnia but it was unsuccessful. Reading these posts it seems to work for lots of GNs so give it a go, you might be one of the lucky ones.

GrannyMary1 Tue 01-Sep-20 20:18:31

Has anyone used hypnotherapy to lose weight/ stop snacking etc?

kwest Tue 01-Sep-20 17:23:37

I had it for taking my driving test(the second time) it worked brilliantly and I passed. I was beyond nervous the first time.
My son failed his test twice and the hypnotherapist at very short notice agreed to see him on the morning of his test. He was in a terrible state before he saw her, virtually catatonic, but he passed the test after seeing her.

Fennel Tue 01-Sep-20 16:47:00

A friend at work had hypnotherapy to give up smoking and it worked.
But for some time afterwards she kept falling asleep and had to stay off work. She still doesn't smoke though.

Lucca Tue 01-Sep-20 16:16:41

Hetty58

Has anyone used it to stop smoking?

I did. Came out and had a cigarette. No use. But I gave up a few months later using (Alan? Michael? ) Carr’s book.

chrissyh Tue 01-Sep-20 15:47:44

My DD was a heavy smoker and had tried all the patches, etc. to no avail. She went to a hypnotherapist about 5 years ago and has never smoked since.

cookiemonster66 Tue 01-Sep-20 15:00:55

I had a course of ten sessions to overcome my firework phobia. He told me I was cured so I went to a public display, first firework that went off, I was crying hyperventilating, threw up, then passed out in the mud!Had to be dragged back to car through the mud as I couldn’t stand up! So no, didn’t work for me!

GinJeannie Tue 01-Sep-20 14:56:00

Paul McKenna self hypnosis disc was 100% successful when my choc-oholic daughter realised she was, literally, addicted to chocolate and had been for very many years. No chocolate anywhere was safe from her! She listened to the disc at bedtime immediately before sleep and has never touched chocolate since. In fact she cannot bear even the smell of it, 20 years on. Highly recommended!

Shandy3 Tue 01-Sep-20 14:52:19

Yes & yes.
Helped with an annoying 'bodily reaction'.
You don't go 'under' like the Darren Brown type hypnosis but are fully aware all of the time.
A very relaxing experience!

Shortlegs Tue 01-Sep-20 14:46:51

I tried to use it to stop smoking. The hypnotherapist was a bit, shall we say, new age. I couldn't stop laughing or take her seriously. Needless to say it didn't work.

Suzan05 Tue 01-Sep-20 14:30:56

I should say it's not the physical part of the BP reading that upsets me, it's the result I dread. I'm on medication, one 50mg tablet per day and it's not that high. Always higher at surgery though.

Suzan05 Tue 01-Sep-20 14:28:39

Has anyone tried hypnotherapy to help with blood pressure checks please? Just writing this makes me want to erase the post and run. I have had cognitive behavioural therapy which means I can now go to the surgery and I don't cry and shake as much as I used to. It has been a real help in many other ways too. However it can take me days to be able to take my own reading at home which I have to do monthly, they often don't get done. Can anyone offer me a ray of hope please?

widgeon3 Tue 01-Sep-20 13:48:44

a dentist friend said he used to hypnotise himself to drill his own teeth.
Worked for him, it seems