Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hypnotherapy

(63 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Tue 01-Sep-20 08:27:07

It really depends on the practitioner, some are better than others - check qualifications. I had Positive Solution therapy combined with hypnosis which worked for me, but I it took me a while to find the right therapist.

Sark Tue 01-Sep-20 07:05:43

Hetty58 yes about 15 years ago my boss asked if I wanted to go to a stop smoking hypnotherapy evening ..we went but I was very very sceptical.
Anyway from the moment I walked out of the room I never had another cigarette again and it was the best thing I ever did! It did not work for my friend though.

Coolgran65 Tue 01-Sep-20 04:36:27

sallywally1 I have suffered from insomnia for 20+ years. Very severely and pre retirement would often go to work not having had any sleep at all.
My GP only offered sleeping pills none of which were of any benefit. Recently I paid privately to have an overnight sleep test done and I was found to have moderate sleep apnea. I was averaging 20 apneas per hour and 152 mini apneas per hour. A cpap was prescribed. In 20+ years none of the doctors in my practice suggested a sleep test.
I tell you this because it may be worth your while having a sleep test done. I paid because the NHS waiting time is 3 years.

Luckyoldbeethoven Mon 31-Aug-20 23:33:39

I used it for fear of flying, just three sessions and it worked like magic. I think there is research showing that some people can be hypnotised and some can't. Probably it also depends on the skill of the therapist. There is some scientific validation for hypnotism, it was all the rage at the point when they invented a safe anaesthetic so hypnotism got relegated to the alternative!

GagaJo Mon 31-Aug-20 22:58:52

I spent thousands on it trying to overcome my fear of flying, to no avail. I'm very easily hypnotised but it made no difference to the problem I went with.

Hetty58 Mon 31-Aug-20 22:49:01

Has anyone used it to stop smoking?

Nannatwiglet Mon 31-Aug-20 22:39:57

Yes....I tried it for my fear of flying and it worked!

Sarahmob Mon 31-Aug-20 21:08:05

Yes I have, but it didn’t really help me. Like you boheminan I found it stressed me out big time. Recently I’ve been practising 4-7-8 breathing which I find really relaxing.

geekesse Mon 31-Aug-20 21:02:13

Yes, if I ever have trouble falling asleep (which, I’ll be honest, is vanishingly rare), self hypnosis gets me to sleep within a few minutes.

Sallywally1 Mon 31-Aug-20 21:00:17

I’m thinking of going to help with my insomnia. I have the associated difficulties too such as day time sleepiness, nightmares, sleep paralysis, hypnogogic sleep starts. It is ruining my life and has been ongoing for years. Maybe hypnosis might help?

boheminan Mon 31-Aug-20 20:18:54

I tried it a couple of years ago to (hopefully) help me through a very stressful time. I only went once as I came out feeling more stressed than when I went in! So no, it wasn't of help to me sad.

geekesse Mon 31-Aug-20 20:18:50

Yes, and yes. I was taught how to self-hypnotise by a fully qualified professional, and used it to overcome dentist phobia.

Sallywally1 Mon 31-Aug-20 20:07:47

Has anyone ever tried it and was it of help?