Gransnet forums

AIBU

The role of young people re Covid 19

(101 Posts)
AviaParva Sun 06-Sep-20 19:28:05

Today I went into my local Tesco Express. There were only 6 customers in this small store - 2 including me had masks on, 4 didn’t (and also didn’t observe social distancing) Another 2 came in maskless as I was leaving.
All the maskless people were very late teens/early twenties.
When I looked at (didn’t stare or glare!) at one young couple, I was treated to a sarcastic, loud comment.
The staff understandably didn’t challenge any of them.
Am I being unreasonable to hope that young people will quickly develop a maturity that tells them that they are not only not immune from this virus, but that their arrogant and selfish disregard for laws, rules and recommendations is not grown up?

Chewbacca Tue 08-Sep-20 23:28:54

Here in the NW of England, there is a distinctly noticeable difference in who is wearing face masks and who is not. In both the large, out of town Tesco and the small Tesco express, the vast majority of older people are wearing them, whilst younger people, predominantly young men, are not. In Aldi this morning, a large group of young men, none of whom were wearing masks, we're actually asked by an assistant to make sure that they had them the next time they came in.

maddyone Tue 08-Sep-20 23:18:31

You’re probably right Callistemon, in most situations, but whilst shoppers and public transport users are apparently equally likely to not wear a mask, or sit in the wrong seat, whatever their age, I have to say that the pictures I’ve seen of people outside pubs and clubs, with no social distancing and no masks have absolutely been young people. Having said that, I have accepted that the pictures I’ve seen have been taken when the media claimed, and not taken at some other time.

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 22:08:00

I don't think this intergenerational blame game is at all helpful.

Grandmama Tue 08-Sep-20 21:01:00

PS There are areas of West Yorkshire that are in lockdown and yet Uber taxis are over here where I live - they are not even licensed by my local council to operate where I live.

kjmpde Tue 08-Sep-20 20:52:37

From what I've observed it is the older generation that is at fault when using public transport. The older men wear the masks on the chin - not anywhere near the nose or mouth. Seats near the bus drivers have signs saying out of use to protect the driver but again the older people ignore the signs and sit in them . Whilst in Swindon and some buses in Bristol - there are signs to say use alternate seats - again the older generation ignore and sit together. it is the older generation that blocks the aisle in the supermarket to have a chat with their peers and guess what - they take their masks off. Yes I've seen younger people without masks but in the main it is the older people that are the issue - even on Saturday in Exeter a lady in her 60s put her makeup on the bus - no mask but put a black scarf around her mouth AFTER putting on her face and lipstick. In Budleigh Salterton - the lady in her 70s sat in the DO NOT USE seat behind the driver . In my view if the younger generation are adapting bad habits it is due to what they see.

Brocky80 Tue 08-Sep-20 20:37:12

In my opinion, most young people don't take adequate precautions in respect of Covid 19 because they ' just don't think' or, as people have said, they think it is of little consequence for them. I am far more worried about the large and growing numbers of people both young and old, who adhere to the conspiracy theory that this virus either doesn't exist or its seriousness has been exaggerated out of all proportion. They not only refuse to adhere to social distancing, mask wearing, etc, but take it as an affront that other people wish to do so. These are the very people who boast on the internet that they deliberately walk as close as they can to those they call 'the sheeple' and 'bedwetters' and deliberately cough in people's faces. Their views are genuinely frightening because if they continue to behave like this, we will never be able to live a normal life or at least not until there is a vaccine. Although they also say they will refuse to have the vaccine when it is available (something to do with Bill Gates, 5G and microchips!!). Laughable but very scary.

Grandmama Tue 08-Sep-20 20:18:03

It's a bit of a farce. Shoppers are wearing masks in the shops I use and most have hand sanitizers at the entrance. I've only seen one person on the bus not wearing a mask. Last week a man, probably in his 60s, was in the supermarket with a mask but it was hanging off one ear, then he coughed a few times. None of the staff said anything to him. Checkout staff are behind screens but not all the staff wear masks elsewhere in the stores - for example M&S, Waitrose, the Coop - and they are often chatting to and helping customers.

Many students have been back for some time at the university we live near. On the one hand the schools and universities are going to great lengths to protect young people but on the other hand there have been a number of student parties locally. I don't suppose the large group that disturbed neighbours last night with their party were socially distancing.

Hellis Tue 08-Sep-20 20:01:02

Pressed too early. I haven't felt comfortable enough to go out again, will have to continue with home delivery. I was very anxious as no social distancing was being observed by so.many people despite floor markings and reminders everywhere

Hellis Tue 08-Sep-20 19:57:52

I have only ventured out to the supermarket once since March and was disappointed that lots of people d idnt

t have a mask.on (or only had them over their mouth not nose as well)

Tangerine Tue 08-Sep-20 19:33:57

People are compliant where I live in the UK.

Alioop Tue 08-Sep-20 19:28:51

Young& over 60s, mainly men, seem to be the ones going about with no masks where I live in N.Ireland. Also don't follow arrows in shops or keep 2 metres apart. Covid seems to of gone in their eyes. I went on small break to our North Coast last week and the places we went in to eat took our names, contact numbers and wrote down the time we were in there. The staff were also wearing visors & there were very few tables. I thought this was a great way to try to help look after their customers.

earnshaw Tue 08-Sep-20 19:21:25

the latest lockdown is in bolton, my daughter lives in that area although in her actual area there are no cases, she is so upset that,yet again, she cant visit us with our grandchildren, please do not blame the government , there is no way everyone in the country can be watched night and day and made to do what they should , we have to rely on peoples common sense and unselfishness and, i am really sorry to say but the main group at fault does seem to be the younger 20 somethings, another example , my daughter said a man travelled back from spain, was told to isolate but he didnt and was found , eventually, to have covid, till we wake up and realise that this will not go away until we act more responsibly , well , who knows what will happen, its a little bit depressing

varian Tue 08-Sep-20 18:41:26

I think that those with medical exemptions from mask wearing should be issued with conspicuous badges which others should be told to recognise.

maddyone Tue 08-Sep-20 18:15:31

No AGAA4 you are definitely not being unreasonable. If the woman had a cough and felt unwell, the only place she should have gone to was to get a Covid19 test. I have asthma and because of that I sometimes cough, but I feel well, not unwell. That is the difference.

NotSpaghetti Tue 08-Sep-20 18:03:38

Dareyouto - I don't think anyone here is condemning you, but many of us are irritated when we can see so many mask-free faces.

I've seen whole multi-generational families without masks and also groups of people clearly shopping together without masks. Surely they cant all be exempt?

Caro57 Tue 08-Sep-20 17:56:37

I was in an Asda in east London recently and was truly horrified at how few people were wearing masks and distancing - people of all ages

AGAA4 Tue 08-Sep-20 17:28:35

I was in Marks and Spencer earlier and a woman not wearing a mask was coughing in the queue for the tills. She was challenged by another customer and said she had a bad cold and was not feeling well. I was not in the queue and moved away quickly.
AIBU to think she shouldn't have come into the shop and especially with no mask.

Dareyouto Tue 08-Sep-20 16:37:17

Following 3 pulmonary embolisms in just over a year and previous history of hypoxia I sent off for an exemption and lanyard. I wore a mask to a hospital appointment but was told I could remove it.
I find that in my area not everybody wears a mask but I still feel uncomfortable when I get icy glances from passers by and often the checkout operators won’t even greet me in return.
I did feel pressurised into wearing a mask in the beginning but no longer. It left me gasping for air. Thing is my condition does not show itself in a physical way.
There are 2 sides to every story and those who would so quickly condemn me should maybe take a moment and give me, and others like me, the benefit of the doubt and not be so quick to judge!

Daffydilly Tue 08-Sep-20 14:58:48

Older people are just as bad. I work in community pharmacy in a large village and have lost count of older people, of sound mind and means, either not wearing a mask at all, wearing them below their nose, or wearing clearly filthy masks.

I think it's not a generational thing, more an individual issue.

Alegrias Tue 08-Sep-20 14:54:49

grannybuy

I'm in NE Scotland, and almost everyone wears masks in shops, including wandering in the shopping malls, and on public transport.

I'm in Fife and masks are worn by nearly everybody, as far as I can tell. In my local Tesco's it appears to be the older people who don't, and that seems often to be just absent mindedness. I saw one chap holding his in his hand and one lady who had hers round her chin, then quickly pulled it up when she remembered where she was.

Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 yesterday said he has been in Glasgow at the weekend and really noticed how most people were wearing their masks, compared with London. Do you think its a geographical thing?

Also, I believe shops in Scotland have been told not to challenge people not wearing masks, but many places have polite notices reminding you to do it.

LauraNorder Tue 08-Sep-20 14:43:08

Common sense doesn't seem to be related to age, intelligence, gender or background. There are selfish covidiots everywhere.
Those of us who were just beginning to poke our masked noses out in to the world are now scuttling back indoors in fear.

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 14:39:34

My thoughts exactly. It seems to me that somehow everyone, no matter from which age group, has been negatively affected by the weird situation over the past six months.

Yes, we have all been affected and there are thoughtless and selfish people throughout all age groups as well as conscientious, responsible ones in all generations.

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 14:37:39

They can't go to nightclubs or sporting venues and have only just been allowed to hang out with friends.
Not according to the news from here. No self-distancing as they wait to go into clubs or congregate in the street.

That is why the virus is spreading amongst young adults now.

1sttimegran Tue 08-Sep-20 14:35:29

I think you should wear a mask outside if you are unable to socially distance!

varian Tue 08-Sep-20 14:15:42

Large supermarkets employ security staff to stand at the door. Surely they should be refusing entry to customers without masks? They could offer to sell them a mask at a reasonable cost before they enter the shop.