Gransnet forums

AIBU

The front tuck shirt

(55 Posts)
rockgran Fri 20-Nov-20 12:27:09

When did this fashion start and AIBU to think it looks a bit daft?

ForeverAutumn Fri 26-Feb-21 20:30:51

I didn't realise it was a 'thing' ! I have been doing this for years. If you wear jeans with a belt which has a buckle and wear a shirt and especially a t-shirt on th e outside, the outline over your waist looks lumpy and has the appearance of adding inches. If you tuck that bit in it gives a much sleeker waistline. Wearing the shirt or top tucked in all round doesn't have the same aesthetic - but that's just me probablygrin

Cherrytree59 Fri 26-Feb-21 17:41:13

So good posted it 3 timessmile

Reported
Probably best not click on the link.

morrisclarke Fri 26-Feb-21 17:32:02

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

morrisclarke Fri 26-Feb-21 17:31:40

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

morrisclarke Fri 26-Feb-21 17:29:08

JackyB Sun 22-Nov-20 10:53:54

I have been noticing it recently and decided it was too common to be unintentional. I envy the girls who have flat tummies to show off that way - I never had one even when I was younger.

"^Also means the button is easy to find when you’re in a hurry." ^

I like that!! grin

FannyCornforth Sun 22-Nov-20 09:44:50

I thought that it was Meghan Markle who popularised the half tuck.
She wore it quite a bit when she started out with Harry.

CanadianGran Sun 22-Nov-20 05:44:44

Lavazza - oh yes, the huge collars are a trend again! Horrible in the 70's and now.

I don't really mind the half tuck.

sharon103 Sat 21-Nov-20 23:43:14

BlueSapphire

Never heard of it and had to Google pictures of it to see what it actually was.....

I've just had to do that smile
I've never heard of it.
I know I haven't been out much this year but I can't say I've noticed anyone with their shirts half tucked in around here.

BlueSapphire Sat 21-Nov-20 21:42:35

Never heard of it and had to Google pictures of it to see what it actually was.....

NannyC1 Sat 21-Nov-20 19:12:57

514allweknow
The French tuck is also for men. Watch Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

Nanananana1 Sat 21-Nov-20 16:49:07

Pretentious nonsense. Making up your own style in what ever way you like is fun and creative but copying supposed fashion-led ideas like this just makes everyone look the same - unimaginative and easily duped, Remember the saggy, low, 'builder's bum look, holes in jeans and gross fake nails? What will you be conned into doing next?

GrammaH Sat 21-Nov-20 15:13:27

I'd never heard of it or noticed it - we're hardly in the forefront of fashion here in the Welsh Marches! I've googled it - looks like it's been & gone in the fashion hotspots, I'm not sorry I missed it. The photos make it look rather silly - neither one thing nor the other & a bit sloppy, like the wearer hasn't tucked him/herself in properly. Not for me thanks!

Lavazza1st Sat 21-Nov-20 14:51:33

Id rather have a tummy tuck grin but also Id rather have a front tuck than wear those awful huge lacy collars!

Caro57 Sat 21-Nov-20 14:47:04

Quite like half a front tuck - helps hid my tum grin

Callistemon Sat 21-Nov-20 14:37:26

The fashion for front tuck shirts has either been and gone around here or never arrived.

Bathsheba Sat 21-Nov-20 14:07:34

Notright

Where's the first thread that you are talking about please

Who are you replying to? confused

SueDonim Sat 21-Nov-20 13:55:27

I agree with Mollygo. I think it can be quite flattering. I’m not as svelte as I used to be but with a pair of fitted trousers/jeans to keep all the wobbly bits in, a French tuck can be a slimming look.

Azalea99 Sat 21-Nov-20 13:49:58

I quite like it. It’s the orphanage-style, not-quite-long-enough trousers I can’t abide.

Marmight Sat 21-Nov-20 13:44:13

I like it and am very envious of those who can carry it off. I find it very flattering. I always wear tops well over my waist line - longer the better, to hide the rolypoly bits ?

Mollygo Sat 21-Nov-20 13:34:18

I like it. Means the rest of the shirt can ‘blouse’ out hiding any lurking bulges. Also means the button is easy to find when you’re in a hurry.
DGD dismissed my explanations, saying, “Grandma, it’s fashion!”
It does look lovely on her slim figure.

Notright Sat 21-Nov-20 12:37:15

Where's the first thread that you are talking about please

Aepgirl Sat 21-Nov-20 12:28:44

If I see a ‘fashion’ that I think looks a bit odd, I just think back to what I wore years ago because it was fashionable . Before you know it, that trend will be gone (except ripped jeans, which have been around for years!).

123kitty Sat 21-Nov-20 12:06:34

As long as you're slim, the top is of fine material and maybe tuck in one side from waste to hip it looks very Paris chic. Takes about 10 mins of pulling and tugging to get the shape just right, checking it's not pulling tight over the bum, et voila -casual just thrown on look achieved. If you can't be bothered best just leave your shirt hanging out.

Scottiebear Sat 21-Nov-20 11:42:52

We wore platform shoes and wide flappy bell bottom trousers. And we thought we were the bees knees. So front tucked shirts are small fry. grin