Gransnet forums

AIBU

The front tuck shirt

(55 Posts)
rockgran Fri 20-Nov-20 12:27:09

When did this fashion start and AIBU to think it looks a bit daft?

BlueBelle Sat 21-Nov-20 11:09:14

I like it on a tall slim lady it’s been around a while, a few years
Modems look good with it
My waist is nt as small as it used to be so wouldn’t look so good for me

Lindaloulabel Sat 21-Nov-20 11:01:33

I thought it was to model the top so you could see what it looks like tucked in I’ve only seen it when looking for clothes.
Shows what I know about fashion....??

HannahLoisLuke Sat 21-Nov-20 11:00:04

This trend has been around for about five years and I do it myself on occasion. Some tops or jumpers just look better that way.

Alexa Sat 21-Nov-20 10:45:50

I thought it was just so clothes models could demonstrate the shirt could be tucked in or left out.

polnan Sat 21-Nov-20 10:45:39

I haven’t noticed it
Does that make me a frump!

Chewbacca Sat 21-Nov-20 10:33:16

I like it and would wear it if I could get away with it.

Gma29 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:30:35

I like it, it gives a lot more shape to boxy tops and blouses, but I don’t like it where one side is completely tucked and the other not. Like any fashion, it probably won’t be around for very long!

Wendy Sat 21-Nov-20 10:21:47

I thought it was to show off a nice buckle!

Hilarybee Sat 21-Nov-20 10:10:15

Fashion is so interesting. Whether it’s half tucked in shirts or ripped jeans or shoulder pads. I’m not a great fan of the current trend for women’s blouses/ shirts that have tails and dip down at the front too but that’s what most of the shirts on sale are at the moment

Callistemon Sat 21-Nov-20 10:09:07

I'd never heard of it.
Everyone is well tucked in where I live in the sticks.
As my MIL would have said "keep your kidneys warm"!

I did see someone wearing a cold shoulder polo neck jumper when we went into town the other day.
Now, nothing could be dafter than that! Not at all an attractive look either.

Nannan2 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:05:13

Sounds a daft 'youngster' idea...?

Calendargirl Sat 21-Nov-20 10:00:36

Have never noticed these front tuck shirts, BTW.

Calendargirl Sat 21-Nov-20 09:59:49

I too am watching the Morse episodes. The hairstyles are very 80’s/90’s, of course, very long, rather frumpy dresses and skirts.
One a few days ago, the one about the Wolvercote Tongue, I think, had one pretty lady wearing a very nice dress or it could have been culottes. She was the wife of the murderer, and she died in a phone box, rather gruesomely!

?

Missingmoominmama Sat 21-Nov-20 09:59:40

I like it, with the right top.

mernice Sat 21-Nov-20 09:56:10

If you stand in front of a mirror and do the top in, top out test you will see that with high waisted jeans it looks infinitely better with a little ( very skill fully) tucked in......not the whole front though!

4allweknow Sat 21-Nov-20 09:51:54

It's for those who have flat abdomens to show them off or to generate conversation on which gym they attend and how often. Wonder when men will adopt the style with their shirts!

sandwichgeneration Sat 21-Nov-20 09:51:36

Gwyneth I was watching the same Morse episode with the giant shoulder pads. I just hope I didn't wear something that looked as if I were an American footballer. It's a dreadful look!

kittylester Fri 20-Nov-20 13:52:09

I though it was to show off a belt.

Gwyneth Fri 20-Nov-20 13:41:36

I watched Morse last night too and in a back shot of the doctor’s wife you really could see how wide the shoulder pads were. They looked awful!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 20-Nov-20 13:37:51

Is this where the front of the shirt/jumper is tucked in but the rest of it hangs out? Yes, it does look silly but then I thought I looked good in all sorts of daft stuff when I was young. Every young generation has the right to dress like a prat.

Bathsheba Fri 20-Nov-20 13:35:06

Well I'm going to be controversial here and say I rather like the look. Only wish I had a washboard stomach so I could do it.

Then again, it's when the older generations start copying a fashion trend that the youngsters tend to move on to something else - heaven forbid they dress like their grans grin

Blossoming Fri 20-Nov-20 13:31:32

I think it’s since Tan France pushed it on “Queer Eye”

phoenix Fri 20-Nov-20 13:12:27

Plus ca change, plus c'est le meme chose (or something like that!)

threexnanny Fri 20-Nov-20 13:09:56

I agree with ROCKGRAN too, but I've been watching 'Morse' every evening. Looking at the fashions then I can't believe we thought that was a good look either!

Kittye Fri 20-Nov-20 13:02:49

I agree rockgran It looks untidy. And you’re right paddyanne we wore daft things too. I took no notice of any criticism of clothes I wore in the 60s cos it was fashion ?