Gransnet forums

AIBU

BBC overkill on reporting proposed european super league

(114 Posts)
Blossoming Tue 20-Apr-21 14:22:18

It’s taking people’s minds off the lobbying scandal, the two jobs scandal and the race report.

Ngaio1 Tue 20-Apr-21 14:20:40

I cannot fathom why it was given any air time. Boring.

maddyone Tue 20-Apr-21 14:17:24

I don’t give a toss about football. They can do whatever they want. There has been a lot on the news about it, but I only get fed up with it because I’m not remotely interested.

Bibbity Tue 20-Apr-21 13:56:17

It’s understandable if you’re not into football to be bored by it.

But this is massive news that is deserving of up to date courage.

Jaxjacky Tue 20-Apr-21 13:41:22

In the 2019 season, in England and Wales, aggregate attendance was over 30 million, that’s how popular it is. That’s just league 2 up to the Premiership. I used to be a season ticket holder before I got an allotment and know many who still are. The majority who subscribe to either BT or Sky sport do so for the football. So, EkwaNimitee it is, as others have said, extremely popular. I won’t voice my views on this current proposal!

Lucca Tue 20-Apr-21 13:37:34

Aaaaargh.... so sorry ?

nanna8 Tue 20-Apr-21 13:36:22

It even reached Australia and the Melbourne talk backs. No one who rang in supported what they see as the destruction of the game. Not being really into soccer, I don’t really have an opinion.

Ilovecheese Tue 20-Apr-21 13:34:36

He is also threatening to use a "legislative bomb" to stop this happening. He seems to think this is very very important.

Ilovecheese Tue 20-Apr-21 13:33:15

Boris Johnson is apparently considering holding cobra meeting about it, he might attend this one.

millymouge Tue 20-Apr-21 13:33:10

I hate to say it but I honestly don’t know what the European Super League for football is about shock

Alegrias1 Tue 20-Apr-21 13:31:46

I think the scale of the coverage is less about the actual football and more about the fact that half a dozen super rich club owners think they can mess about with a hundred-year-old system and undermine it for their own gains.

I'm not even going to mention Lucca's typo in case I get sent to the Tower.

Casdon Tue 20-Apr-21 13:31:43

Football is the most popular sport in the UK, 46% of the population are regular viewers, me included.

This is the biggest news in football in the last 20 years or longer, it will completely change the landscape of the sport in the UK if it comes off.

There’s no type of news that interests everybody, but this is huge for those who are interested.

Lucca Tue 20-Apr-21 13:28:54

So last week BBC got it in the neck for too much about princess Philip, now too much about super league.......who thinks they could do a better job ?

EkwaNimitee Tue 20-Apr-21 13:24:08

I'm a regular listener to Radio 4's 5pm, the 6pm News and the World Tonight at 10pm. Yesterday, the lead news item on all 3 was the proposed european superleague for football. Each program had lengthy discussions on the subject. And the same today so far.
Is there really nothing more important or interesting going on in the country and the world than this?! Past surveys I've seen show that the majority of us just aren't interested in football. So why? Any answers anyone?