Gransnet forums

AIBU

to ask advice from any mothers in law

(70 Posts)
Sadson Sat 22-May-21 02:45:14

I want to start by apologising profusely for the length of this post!

I am a man who has decided to register here because I was googling for forums where I might get some advice about this issue, and this one came up. I really hope that it is okay for me to be here as it would be good to hear the perspective of any mothers in laws.

I am a 39-year-old man who has been married very happily to my wonderful wife for a little over six years. Been together for 9 years. We have a settled and content life together and have never had any major relationship issues, except for very occasional squabbles which are never about anything huge.

The issue is this. For a long time now, I have had a feeling that my parents do not like my wife. And this has recently been confirmed.

My wife, who is the same age as me, is a lovely, kindhearted and very caring woman.

She has a health condition which means that currently she is not in employment, however she spends her time studying distance learning courses and running our home. She worked full time up until around four years ago. Her previous profession was a very demanding one.
She does do the occasional temporary role as and when her health allows but I know that the situation of not being able to work properly bothers her greatly. Not a concern to me either way because we managed perfectly fine on my salary alone but I know that she does want to go back to work when her health improves. We do not have any children, this is partly related to her health.

A bit of a back story which may or may not help... my parents are not the most touchy-feely of people but I always grew up feeling loved and cared for and I know that they would always be there for me if I needed them and vice versa. We speak on the phone once every 10 days or so, they are happy with this and so am I. Sometimes we email. We live many miles apart and have done ever since I left home. unfortunately we only get to see them a couple of times a year due to the distance (quite literally the other end of the country).

My wife’s experience with her own parents is very different - she speaks to them over the phone every day, and video chats a couple of times a week. They are very open emotionally as a family, and my wife can talk to them about any matter which may be bothering her.

She has told me that she has found my parents to be stand offish in the past but I have always reassured her that this is just the way they are. She has asked me quite a number of times over the years about whether they like her, I until recently had always thought that they did. I base this on the fact that when I speak to them the phone, they pretty much always ask how she is. They chat to her absolutely fine whenever we see them. My wife always asks them open ended questions about how things are in their life, what they have been up to, she takes an interest in their hobbies. , and the like.

I have to admit over over the years, though, I have noticed that they very rarely ever ask my wife anything about herself. But this is also the way my parents are as people. They don’t tend to pry into other peoples lives.

However... something happened recently which has sadly made me question whether it is indeed the case that my parents do not like my wife.

We were visiting my wife’s parents last week. Whilst there, we decided to have a video call to my parents. Our parents all get on well and have not seen each other since before Covid. We thought that they could say hello to each other through the video chat. When my mum answered the video call, she was really pleased to see my wife’s mum, and they had a good chat for about 15 minutes. My wife then took over the call and the reception from my mum was distinctly cooler. It was pretty obvious.

So, a few days ago, I decided that I would ask my mum this question directly. My wife was upset, and as I had started to question things myself, I decided that trying to have an open discussion with my mum was the best way forward. I do not have emotionally deep conversations with my parents and so this was difficult for me.

After exchanging the usual pleasantries, I told my mum how I was feeling and asked her how she felt about my wife. I heard my mum sigh down the phone. She paused and then told me, "If you are happy together then what does it matter what anybody thinks about her?” She tried quickly to change the subject but this was not good enough for me. So I took a deep breath and told my mum her outright that my wife felt that they have never accepted her... and her very nonplussed reaction to my wife coming on the video chat the other day had also made me start to feel this way.

Then the truth came out and I was truly shocked and saddened. My mum told me that she “did not know what my wife’s function was”, because she is a childless housewife currently. I told my mum that my wife struggle a lot with her health condition and she is trying her best to seek support for it but it is difficult for her. She has never had a burning desire to be a mum, similarly I have never had a pressing need to be a father neither, and so we are in no desperate rush to try for a baby even if my wife’s health allowed. I also told my mum that before her health went downhill, my wife had a very rewarding and worthwhile career, which she does want to return to eventually. And then said to me that she and my father had always tried to accept the “bad decision” they felt I had made, to get married to my wife.

I have never felt that it was the wrong decision for me, I love her more than words can say and never regret marrying her even with the health issues.

I have two younger brothers and between them they have five children, my parents world revolves around their grandchildren (to the extent that one time I had to have an operation and they could not come and see me afterwards in the weeks that followed when I was laid up at home, recovering... the reason was because they were babysitting, but that is another story...).

I asked my parents if they somehow felt disappointed that we have failed to produce any grandchildren for them so far. My Mum said that she feels disappointed because I would’ve made a good father and that my wife is holding me back! This is not how I feel at all though. My attitude has always been that my relationship with my wife comes first and if children come along at some point then that is great... but if not then we will still have each other and be happy together. My mum then very hurtfully said that it was a good job my other two brothers and their partners had produced grandchildren because they would be “stuffed” if it was just up to my wife. I was greatly hurt by this upsetting comment. I have obviously not relayed this back to my wife.

My wife’s health problem and the medication she takes for it, means she has been quite overweight for a few years now and I get a distinct feeling my mum especially has an issue with this. She has been quite blunt in her delivery with this towards my wife over the years, directly telling her that maybe she should attend slimming world. My wife has politely laughed these comments off, but Afterwards has confided in me that it did upset her.

I truly do not know what else my wife can do to further endear herself to my parents . Yes, she does not currently have paid employment. But she fills her days with as much activity as she can manage. Always has a book on the go, trying to learn things and expand her knowledge. Keeps a good routine, doesn’t lie in bed in the mornings, and gets up early cracks on with whatever she has to do, no matter how unwell she is feeling. She does a fantastic job in keeping our home, cooks lovely meals and takes care of our dog. She is always there for her friends and spends time cultivating those friendships. She checks in regularly with the elderly lady across the road from us. She is a good person, basically. There are occasions when I do have to pitch in with some household chores now and again if she is feeling especially unwell, but I do not mind this.

So what I am just hoping for, is some opinions from people here who have daughters in law, how is that relationship for you? What can my wife and I do about the situation? Surely the most important thing is that I am happy with my wife? Why is this not good enough for my parents? It’s such an upsetting situation for us both and I’m trying to understand it as much as I can. Thank you to anybody who has taken the time to read this.

RAJONES26 Sat 22-May-21 18:20:39

Feeling sad and excluded being paternal grandparents. Not allowed to look after baby- though this has not actually been stated but is the case. DIL's mother looks after baby when DiL working. We have offered to help, numerous times, without being pushy, as conscious not to do that, but never taken up. Our daughter however as Auntie does have the baby to help them out.
Feeling hurt and rejected and don't know why. Cannot bring ourselves to ask why we not able to help. It is becoming more obvious as time goes on.
Any advice welcomed please.

KarenR Sat 22-May-21 17:53:21

silverlining48

It’s interesting that despite all this, both mothers get on so well. If it were me I would keep some distance if my daughter was so upset. They must have talked about it.

I’m not sure I agree. Perhaps OP’s. Um just has no issue with the maternal MIL. They need not have spoken about this issue.

KarenR Sat 22-May-21 17:15:00

You’ve had some very good advice here and many people have told you to not let this bother you, that your parents are far away and have little impact on your day to day life. They are correct of course except it does bother you...
I didn’t ever have a mother in law but I had a father in law and he was about as ghastly as it’s possible to get, he made no effort to disguise his pure hatred of me; I shan’t bore you with the details but they are hair raising!
For many years my husband lost contact with his dad but I kept on and on at him until he got back in touch with him, he had moved elsewhere in Europe by this time and because I love my husband I didn’t want him to be left with the guilt of estrangement when my FIL eventually died. They resumed a relationship of sorts and when our elder son married we had another ceremony where he was now living. That day my FIL said a very heartfelt thank you to me and I treasure that.
Some people it seems marry and their old family is downgraded in importance, I understand the pressures of family life and lack of time. Some of us stay very close to our birth families, that seems to happen most frequently with daughters; sons often seem to get absorbed into their wife’s family somewhat.
You speak about brothers but not sisters, like your mum I am the mother of sons, the mother/son relationship is deep; my own brother was much easier for my parents than I and I argued with my mum a lot. The dynamic changes when we go on to have a family of our own though and then daughters and mothers bond over grandchildren, sometimes paternal grandparents feel a bit sidelined.
When I was aware that I was going to be a mother in law I actually posted on mumsnet for advice as to how to be a good one because I’d never had one of my own. I am so lucky, I enjoy a fantastic relationship with my daughters in law.
Sometimes people are just nasty but that’s not the picture you paint of your parents, your wife sounds lovely and I doubt she would have ever criticised them had their aloof nature not unnerved her.
It’s a bit scary being the mother of sons because you face the prospect of their partners ‘cleaving them unto themselves’. We mothers of sons love our grandchildren just as much as the maternal grannies but many don’t enjoy nearly as close a relationship with their grandchildren and that hurts, quite badly.
There is absolutely no doubt that your mum has not behaved well but the question is why? It doesn’t sound as if she enjoys a good relationship with your brothers and their families, maybe you and your wife were her last hope and she’s angry and resentful that hasn’t worked out for her. Sometimes when people are hurt they lash out.
As I have become older I have reflected on my life, how I was with my children, what I achieved; your mum may have done the same. She may be harbouring sadness and regret.
Would your wife agree to you visiting your parents alone one weekend to discuss this? She does sound like the sort of person who would agree, especially since she has a local support network. It will be difficult because you’re not used to having such open dialogue with your parents but absolutely worth a try and please try and see the good and perhaps sadness in them. If all your efforts fail, you will know that you gave it your best shot and I believe that will be important to you. In those sorry circumstances you will need to get on with your life with your parents firmly in the background however I sincerely hope that offering them understanding and the opportunity to open up about feelings they may not yet acknowledge they have could be truly healing.
Good luck, my best wishes. Do let us know how it all turned out.

theworriedwell Sat 22-May-21 17:14:37

Summerlove

silverlining48

It’s interesting that despite all this, both mothers get on so well. If it were me I would keep some distance if my daughter was so upset. They must have talked about it.

This just shows that ops mother can be open and lovely and chatty. Just chooses not to do with DIL.
I can only imagine how jarring that must have seemed for him. Especially if he’d previously thought his mother was trying to be nice

Aren't most people more open and lovely and chatty with people they gel with?

theworriedwell Sat 22-May-21 17:12:59

Summerlove

*To be fair his parents don't have to justify their feelings either but his mother was pushed to do so as "This was not good enough for me."*

There is a very large difference in being asked for ones opinion, than sharing someone else’s medical information.

Read the threads on how many people refuse to tell doctors receptionist why they want to see the doctor. They don’t like sharing their own medical information with others. Sharing someone else’s medical information is not a safe thing to do

I'm sorry I don't understand. Did the mother share something about her DIL's medical information. I didn't see that. It was the OP sharing medical information not the MIL wasn't it?

Summerlove Sat 22-May-21 15:56:59

silverlining48

This just shows that ops mother can be open and lovely and chatty. Just chooses not to do with DIL.
I can only imagine how jarring that must have seemed for him. Especially if he’d previously thought his mother was trying to be nice

Summerlove Sat 22-May-21 15:55:31

To be fair his parents don't have to justify their feelings either but his mother was pushed to do so as "This was not good enough for me."

There is a very large difference in being asked for ones opinion, than sharing someone else’s medical information.

Read the threads on how many people refuse to tell doctors receptionist why they want to see the doctor. They don’t like sharing their own medical information with others. Sharing someone else’s medical information is not a safe thing to do

Smileless2012 Sat 22-May-21 15:47:59

Yes that is interesting silverlining.

Smileless2012 Sat 22-May-21 15:47:14

I agree theworriedwell, his mother's initial response was that it shouldn't matter what others think as long as he's happy and was pushed into saying more. No doubt had she not expanded on her response that would have spoken volumes.

Not all d's and s's.i.l. like their p's.i.l. so it stands to reason that not all p's.i.l. will like their AC's choice of partner. When that happens, the best anyone can hope for is politeness and civility, even if it is a little on the cold side.

silverlining48 Sat 22-May-21 15:45:37

Hithere Sat 22-May-21 15:26:07

There is a big difference

His mother shared her own feelings
OP shared information that is not his, it is his wife's

theworriedwell Sat 22-May-21 15:19:42

Hithere

OP
You do not need to justify and explain your decisions with your parents

You are child free so far - your wife's medical and personal information shouldn't be in the hands of people that dont like her.
Or if they like her, it is your wife's choice to share her her own information

To be fair his parents don't have to justify their feelings either but his mother was pushed to do so as "This was not good enough for me."

theworriedwell Sat 22-May-21 15:18:12

Craftygran5

Sadson I'm going to go slightly against the grain here and note that the only one who is particularly surprised about this revelation is you. Your wife obviously knew that your parents didn't really like her or she would never have mentioned it so it looks as though your parents haven't been hiding their feelings or been polite enough for some time. I'd perhaps point this out to your parents that they have actually failed to be nice to your wife and she is fully aware of their dislike and has done for some time. Even to people I don't like I can manage not to completely change attitude when I turn to speak to them.

The comments about your lack of children seem to be as much about them wanting you to have children as they are about you missing out, as they perceive it. They haven't accepted that you have made choices and instead have blamed your wife. Perhaps highlighting that the choices are yours and not simply because your wife is unwell may move some of the negative feelings away from your wife and encourage them to stop seeing you as being led if you will.

Ultimately though you are an adult and if you are happy with your life and choices take comfort in that and your lovely wife. You can interact with your parents as often as you like and allow your wife to do the same. Just be understanding if she doesn't wish to. You can't force the relationship so it's not worth pushing your wife and mother into bonding but hopefully as time passes and your parents move on from their life expectations for you things may get better. If not then you have each other and everyone else's opinion doesn't really matter.

I'm not sure about that. His parents are different to her parents so even if they liked her she might have found them cold and wondered if they liked her.

At the end of the day everyone has to accept that sometimes we don't particularly like people while not having anything against them. Parents don't have to be gushing about their children's partners but accept that if their child is happy then that is enough and that is what his mother said.

People really need to consider if they want to hear the answer before they ask the question.

Hithere Sat 22-May-21 15:15:04

OP
You do not need to justify and explain your decisions with your parents

You are child free so far - your wife's medical and personal information shouldn't be in the hands of people that dont like her.
Or if they like her, it is your wife's choice to share her her own information

Harris27 Sat 22-May-21 14:05:45

I would just get on with your life and make it as happy as it can be. Not all families are perfect but people can get on and do what they so wish. I have daughters in law who are very different and have always tried to get on with them even though one has caused problems in the family. Do what you want it’s your life keep in touch with your parents but keep it on your terms, enjoy your life and the one you have with your wife.

Hithere Sat 22-May-21 13:52:45

I would really like to know your wife's direct pov.

Your poor wife

grandtanteJE65 Sat 22-May-21 13:26:00

You love your wife and she loves you.
You also get on well with her parents.

You and your wife have enough to contend with dealing with her poor health, so please do not make life more difficult by worrying about your parents' attitude.

Your mother said fairly that what matters is that you and your wife are happy together.

I do see how hurtful your parents' attitude is, but was there any real need to ask them to spell it out?

They are not going to change so leave them to stew in their own juice and don't endanger your relationship to your wife by trying to force your parents to like her. If the pair of you worry too much about your parents' attitude, you might just end up blaming each other for it.

Don't run that risk, just get on with your own life. I hope your wife will feel better soon and be able to return to the work she enjoyed.

There is nothing wrong with not having children, when neither of you have a burning desire for a family. Your parents are being unreasonable in thinking that you and your brothers "should provide them with grandchildren".

There's a horrible phrase for you and a horrible expectation. If your parents are so keen on being grandparents then there are plenty of grandparentless children who they could volunteer to be "grannie and grandpa" to.

cornishpatsy Sat 22-May-21 13:24:23

You cannot make your mother like your wife or behave better towards her. How you feel is what is important, I can see this situation leading to a distancing from your mother which will be fine for you and your wife.

Too late now but your mother should have hidden her feelings better and be very pleased that you are happy.

Craftygran5 Sat 22-May-21 13:06:54

Sadson I'm going to go slightly against the grain here and note that the only one who is particularly surprised about this revelation is you. Your wife obviously knew that your parents didn't really like her or she would never have mentioned it so it looks as though your parents haven't been hiding their feelings or been polite enough for some time. I'd perhaps point this out to your parents that they have actually failed to be nice to your wife and she is fully aware of their dislike and has done for some time. Even to people I don't like I can manage not to completely change attitude when I turn to speak to them.

The comments about your lack of children seem to be as much about them wanting you to have children as they are about you missing out, as they perceive it. They haven't accepted that you have made choices and instead have blamed your wife. Perhaps highlighting that the choices are yours and not simply because your wife is unwell may move some of the negative feelings away from your wife and encourage them to stop seeing you as being led if you will.

Ultimately though you are an adult and if you are happy with your life and choices take comfort in that and your lovely wife. You can interact with your parents as often as you like and allow your wife to do the same. Just be understanding if she doesn't wish to. You can't force the relationship so it's not worth pushing your wife and mother into bonding but hopefully as time passes and your parents move on from their life expectations for you things may get better. If not then you have each other and everyone else's opinion doesn't really matter.

FannyCornforth Sat 22-May-21 10:38:06

Excellent post Luckygirl
It sounds like your family are lucky too to have you smile

Luckygirl Sat 22-May-21 10:27:31

My mum told me that she “did not know what my wife’s function was”, because she is a childless housewife currently.
This stood out for me..........are childless people people and housewives devoid of worth in her eyes? A very odd statement.

As regards your situation, I am wondering how large this looms in your life and your wife's. I think it is unfortunate that you asked your Mum the question as it has brought nothing but sadness to hear what she thinks. Some things are better let lie.

The way forward is to put the situation in perspective. You and your wife are perfectly capable of living happy lives just as you are - you do not need your mother's approval. Her weird views are a mere drop in the ocean of your happy lives. The fact that your life does not fit the expectations that she had for you is neither here nor there - that is her problem, not yours or your wife's.

I cannot say that I got on brilliantly with my in-laws, but I saw them when needed, was polite and friendly to them, gritted my teeth at some of their views (racist) and put them in a small compartment of my life and did not allow them to impinge on my general happiness. I think this is what you need to do.

Her views need not upset anyone, as long as you and your wife are happy - unfortunately such statements can undermine people's confidence and your wife may be made to feel inadequate. She must not let this feed into any existing insecurities that she might have.

If your Mum was a half-way decent Mum she would be happy that you are happy.......that is all I have ever wanted for my children.

I have sonsIL only and I was a bit surprised by some of my DDs partner choices over the years, but I trusted them and they have made happy lives and I am happy for them. My surprise was because some of those choices did not conform with the idea I had in my mind - just like your Mum. But I was quick to ditch my ideas and recognise their irrelevance, and look for the good on those partners who came along - and there was lots of good to find. Frankly it is none of my business.

Put this "problem" - well non-problem really - into its right perspective. You are both happy - you just have to make quite sure that it does not make your lovely wife insecure. Go give her a hug!! smile

Smileless2012 Sat 22-May-21 10:14:51

Hi Sadson and welcome to GN. It looks as if you've opened a Pandora's box here by asking the question and then, and this is an observation not a criticism, pushing for a more direct reply when your OP suggests that your mum was trying to not answer the question.

I was the d.i.l. envied by my m.i.l. and am now a m.i.l. hated by her d.i.l. to the extent that we have been estranged by our son.

Despite the miss givings you now know for certain that your parents have, they have always been polite to your lovely wife and you've said that they're "not the most touchy-feely" of people even with you, but despite this you grew up feeling loved. You know your parents will always be there for you as you will be there for them.

IMO it is their love for you that has until you asked the question, kept their 'true' feelings about your wife to themselves.

I can understand your mum dwelling on what a good father she thinks you would be and feeling sad on your behalf that she doesn't see this as being on the cards for you, I don't understand though, why any feelings she may have had for your wife would be diminished because this doesn't look as it will happen.

We can't like everyone can we and if this applies to our adult child's partner, the best we can do is be civil and our best to keep our true feelings to ourselves, which in fairness to your parents, they have done until you asked 'that' question.

You have a happy, healthy and strong marriage. Your parents aren't geographically close so that definitely makes life easier for you, your wife and them as you don't get together very often.

Try and put this to one side and enjoy the life you have which includes your parents who clearly love you.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 22-May-21 10:12:51

I don’t think that your mothers opinion matters, you and you wife are happy, she is surrounded by her loving family, neither of you needs your parents acceptance. Your parents aren’t openly hostile to her, so let it be.
My MIL did everything she could to split us up, which resulted in her rarely seeing our Children, but she didn’t care as she had GCs from DHs siblings.
52 years later and we are still together, her approval , or lack of it didn’t bother me because we both stayed away from her as much as we could, DH said that it was up to me if I visited her or not, latterly I visited her with him and we rubbed along ok for the hour or so that we were there.
My opinion was, her loss, not mine.

eazybee Sat 22-May-21 09:50:45

I don't think there is anything you can do.
You confronted your mother about the situation with your wife and she was honest with you, brutally so. You defended your wife against unnecessarily unpleasant comments

What matters is that you and your wife are happy together in your marriage, that is the most important thing and your mother's opinion is not relevant. Your future is with your wife, and you do not have to justify her lifestyle to your parents.
I also feel you are slightly overthinking the situation.

silverlining48 Sat 22-May-21 09:42:33

I have been in your wife’s position with my in laws so know how it feels to suddenly have to face it. You must be upset and disappointed about this but the most important thing here is that you and your wife have a strong and loving marriage so focus on that. What your mum thinks is really by the way. Obviously regrettable though.
You know the situation now, your parents aren't on your doorstep which makes things easier in the circumstances. Try not to let this upset you too much. Be happy and I wish you and your wife well.