Gransnet forums

AIBU

Wembley this evening, no more masks for me..

(228 Posts)
Sago Tue 29-Jun-21 21:27:35

45,000 footballs fans in Wembley stadium this evening shouting, hugging and cheering.
Some shirtless, all maskless.

I have been dutifully wearing a mask, I’ve nearly frozen having windows and doors open whilst having work people in the home, buried my mother with only a handful of mourners present and my son and fiancé have postponed their wedding until next year.

No more mask for me, they are all going in the bin.

growstuff Thu 01-Jul-21 19:26:57

B9exchange At least have the decency to stay clear of other people. I shall avoid anybody without a mask like the plague. I'm just relieved I don't have to use crowded public transport if others are like you.

lemsip Thu 01-Jul-21 19:26:24

I shall continue to wear one of my many masks when travelling on public transport and when entering shops public toilets etc. I don't have to copy anyone else.... I'll choose.

growstuff Thu 01-Jul-21 19:24:45

Of course not wearing a mask if a person isn't infected doesn't reduce risk. There's no risk in the first place! Sorry, but that's just daft. The issue is that many people are infectious without knowing they are.

MayBee70 Thu 01-Jul-21 19:23:44

Chris Witty was also in favour of going for herd immunity at one time as well wasn’t he? And also put a stop to testing and tracing last spring because the virus was already in the community. He’s got plenty wrong over the past 18 months.

varian Thu 01-Jul-21 19:19:21

Anyone with any sense of responsibility should continue to wear a mask on public transport or in shops and other indoor public places even if the government tells us it is no longer compulsory.

stewaris Thu 01-Jul-21 19:10:46

My nephew went to the England Scotland match with 6 of his friends and all 7 of them came back with covid. It shouldn't have been allowed. He didn't have a ticket and was with the Tartan Army. Madness after what everyone has gone through.

B9exchange Thu 01-Jul-21 18:53:56

We have to remember Chris Witty's words last year. "In terms of wearing a mask, our advice is clear: that wearing a mask if you don't have an infection reduces the risk almost not at all. So we do not advise that".

When did the policy change? When the Governments of the world wanted to encourage people to go out and spend money. It was felt that mask wearing would increase the feeling of security and provide solidarity with others. There has been no randomised control trials that prove masks are effective, the research hasn't changed, just the policy mandating them. In Dec 2020 the WHO Director General said 'at present there is only limited and inconsistent scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of the masking of healthy people in the community to prevent infection with respiratory viruses, including SARS Covid-2 (CV-19)'
The European Centre for Disease prevention and Control ECDC) concurs that evidence regarding the effectiveness of non-medical facemasks for the prevention of COVID-19 is scarce. Matt Hancock advised that they would give people more confidence to shop safely. The economic bounce back wasn't strong enough, after the first lockdown, and it was felt that masks would make people safe enough to go shopping.

All of which is reason enough for me to welcome the prospect of being released from having to wear one from 19th July. For those for whom masks do give that feeling of security, then of course they should go on wearing them, in order to try and get some sort of normality back to their lives, but they don't have that effect on me, and I will be happy to enter a shop or church with my face on show again.

rosie1959 Thu 01-Jul-21 18:19:15

Expect they will no longer be required after July 19th so everyone will be free to make up their own mind

MayBee70 Thu 01-Jul-21 18:07:26

Olive53

Kwal why on earth are you wearing a mask in your own home. Take it off, go out in the fresh air and start to live your life. Are you going to sit there for the rest of your days watching other people enjoy them selves.

I can’t believe how rude some people on here are towards those of us that are still being very careful. If you’d read it properly you’d see that Kwal wears a mask indoors on the rare occasion that she does leave her home but you were so quick to jump down her throat you didn’t stop to think. You know, all through my life I’ve been laughed at over certain things because, by nature I’m a very cautious person, but 9 times out of ten I’ve been proved to be correct. And Johnson is now saying that further restrictions will have to be implemented when restrictions are lifted (or something like that). What the hell does that mean?

Hobbs1 Thu 01-Jul-21 18:03:00

Sago,

I feel the same as you. I disgusted to think that football and tennis fans are allowed to do as they like, while the rest of us do as we’re told. My son and his fiancé have postponed their wedding twice and still can’t send out the invites for October until the next update. Time we all got back to normal.

Olive53 Thu 01-Jul-21 17:50:38

Kwal why on earth are you wearing a mask in your own home. Take it off, go out in the fresh air and start to live your life. Are you going to sit there for the rest of your days watching other people enjoy them selves.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 01-Jul-21 17:41:40

Florida12

Hmm, I will still wear mine, until my confidence returns.
I have just quickly scanned through the photos of Prince William and Prince Harry unveiling their mother’s statue. None of those in attendance were wearing masks either.

Masks aren’t required to be worn outside here in the UK.

Florida12 Thu 01-Jul-21 17:32:16

Hmm, I will still wear mine, until my confidence returns.
I have just quickly scanned through the photos of Prince William and Prince Harry unveiling their mother’s statue. None of those in attendance were wearing masks either.

maddieb Thu 01-Jul-21 17:06:44

I will be wearing my mask for the foreseeable for sure, cleaning hands and avoiding crowds indoors and out. I need to do what I am comfortable with and stay as safe as possible.

KathyG54 Thu 01-Jul-21 16:22:26

Yes no more masks for me either ! They are totally pointless ie Why should I wear one to walk through the gym (just to keep the staff happy? ) to take off in the changing room and obviously not when swimming ! Mind I have got myself an exemption lanyard to avoid confrontation !

MayBee70 Thu 01-Jul-21 16:16:21

railman

A discussion on Sky News earlier with Prof. Tim Spector suggested that in terms of the NHS Covid-19 symptoms list that with the new variants and post vaccination, the NHS symptom list is inaccurate. In fact it was stated that the 3 primary symptoms listed by the NHS were incorrect.

The Zoe Symptom Project has identified many more common symptoms, which are listed by other countries - and the 'temperature', 'persistent cough', and 'loss of sense of tased or smell' are no longer relevant.

I wonder why the NHS symptom list has not been amended for over a year now.

The main symptoms now are similar to having a cold. So some people may mistake covid for hay fever.

Angela52 Thu 01-Jul-21 16:10:03

I have gone 15th months without a chest infection so I will continue wearing mask and keeping my distance from most people . Thankfully don’t need to use public transport . But need normality like everybody else

Singleton1311 Thu 01-Jul-21 16:04:30

In reply to Lollin - Sturgeon will sink Glasgow back into level three and more business will close because of this spike,

jaylucy Thu 01-Jul-21 15:58:55

So just because a certain group of people were seen not to be wearing masks, you spit out the dummy and said "I'm not doing it either"?
Quite honestly, I can't see the difference in how it has been all along, apart from the fact they were all in one place at the same time rather than wandering round the nearest supermarket or the town centre streets!
I plan to still be wearing my masks in shops and on public transport, just for my own peace of mind

GrannyCarrots Thu 01-Jul-21 15:58:33

45,000 wrongs don't make a right.

Beeny Thu 01-Jul-21 15:47:13

What is not being made public is what's happening to some of the children getting it. At our hospital there are 4 children waiting for lung transplants, and others who are on machines a bit like dialysis machines, the blood leaves the body, is reoxygenated and pumped back into the body. When children get it bad, they get it very bad sad

suelld Thu 01-Jul-21 15:47:04

I too was quite appalled to see the crowds for the Euros and Wimbledon - but they all had to prove they'd all been double jabbed or had passed a test in the last 24 hours.
Personally I'd not have gone as even tho they were supposedly 'safe' - the travel and general mingling outside with large crowds posed a lot of risk - but that was for the individuals involved to decide IMO.
But SAGO discarding your mask just because you followed the rules and others don't strikes me as very selfish and silly, and rather like a child with a tantrum - "if they don't do it why should I"!! No thought behind that sort of emotion. The more of us who follow the rules, and keep safe and well is a step forward to helping ALL of us.
Maybe these crowds will eventually provide a sort of herd immunity - or maybe they will spread Covid far and wide - we will have to see - but discarding your masks will put YOU and others near you at risk - don't do it!! It's inconvenient, and with asthma and other ills, I hate wearing it and almost can't breathe with it on - but I do wear it and will continue to do so - until it's safe not to... !!! THINK about what you are doing.

Naninka Thu 01-Jul-21 15:37:48

I work in a school and wear a mask. I've been double jabbed but wear it to set a good example.
It irks me when footballers hug and slobber all over each other.
Like you, I have experienced tragedy.
I hate this stupid pandemic and wish we could all cut down on mask wearing.
But we can't so that's that!!

railman Thu 01-Jul-21 15:30:12

Jaxjacky

railman don’t worry WHO have issued a warning that Europe is starting a fourth wave so we won’t be on our own.

I’d rather be looking at positives personally.

Yes - I'd heard that too.

But I'd rather our 'Government' stopped exaggerating and started making simple, direct and effective statements instead of woolly, jingoistic claims.

railman Thu 01-Jul-21 15:27:56

A discussion on Sky News earlier with Prof. Tim Spector suggested that in terms of the NHS Covid-19 symptoms list that with the new variants and post vaccination, the NHS symptom list is inaccurate. In fact it was stated that the 3 primary symptoms listed by the NHS were incorrect.

The Zoe Symptom Project has identified many more common symptoms, which are listed by other countries - and the 'temperature', 'persistent cough', and 'loss of sense of tased or smell' are no longer relevant.

I wonder why the NHS symptom list has not been amended for over a year now.