Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dogs to be kept on lead.

(137 Posts)
MayBee70 Tue 10-Aug-21 19:59:15

Oh Maddison, that’s really awful. My grandson used to be scared of dogs. Less so now that he has a dog of his own but he’s still scared. So is his dad. People need to realise that. My dogs have been attacked so many times but quite often, if I ask people to move their dogs away I just get a mouthful of abuse. Most times when a dog has gone for mine the owner has just said ‘that’s never happened before’ even though their dog is loose and mines on a lead. And then they just carry on walking as if nothing had happened.

Maddison Tue 10-Aug-21 18:15:58

I am in my 70's and dogs were never on leads when i was a child it it has caused me to have a fear of them, i still feel that fear when i see one without a lead, you never know what a dog is thinking or feeling, no matter how tame they are, they could turn if they are frightened, please keep dogs on leads even if they playfully approach me and jump up i get frightened i was in our local park last week i was sat on a log having a rest a couple walked by with their dog it came straight towards me i got up and turned my back on it, the owner gave me a lot of abuse saying i was ignoring her dog!!

BlueBelle Tue 10-Aug-21 18:07:49

I think dogs should be on leads in public spaces There are open commons woods and beaches out of season when they can run free but anywhere there are other people they should be on leads

MayBee70 Tue 10-Aug-21 17:52:44

Not unreasonable at all. I’m a dog owner and despair at the behaviour of fellow dog owners. I was in a dog walking group that hasn’t met up throughout most of the pandemic. I have left it though for other reasons but was feeling uncomfortable anyway in that it consisted of a large group of dogs running off lead a lot of the time. We always kept ours on a lead. And don’t get me started about people putting pictures on Facebook of their dogs running through crop fields….they get very irate when people point out those fields are someone’s livelihood.

Chestnut Tue 10-Aug-21 17:52:03

It is horrible trying to avoid loose dogs, e-scooters and crazy cyclists these days. People seem to be so selfish now and have no respect. That is what it is all about, respect for other people, which is sadly lacking amidst all the selfishness.

Santana Tue 10-Aug-21 17:39:17

There is a supportive doggie group in my road, and they all meet up and go off loudly together. Some are elderly so brings a social aspect, until you know that this never stopped through any of the Covid lockdowns. They ran a terrible risk and I could never understand it. I worked behind the scenes at a hospital during the first lockdown and was undressing in the hall. I have retired now and realise that I was being over zealous, but we didn't know anything about the virus then.

AGAA4 Tue 10-Aug-21 16:16:48

There are signs in the country park near me that state dogs must be kept on a lead but most people ignore them. As there are sheep grazing nearby I can't understand the owners. If their dog attacks a sheep the farmer could shoot it. Not fair on the dog.

Kate1949 Tue 10-Aug-21 15:01:48

Same around here. I'm frightened of dogs so avoid places where I know they'll be off leads. It also annoys me that some owners assume everyone likes dogs. I don't.

Redhead56 Tue 10-Aug-21 14:42:32

I was uncomfortable when visiting my DD and GD when we went to a local park. There are visible signs about dog leads everywhere as its a children's playground. There were young lads roaming around with dogs off leads it made me nervous.
A few years ago I was picking fruit with my dog on the lead on open land. I was dragged to the ground because two dogs were off their leads. I was bruised and hurt my knee and hand. It would have been terrible if is was a child. I was brought up with dogs but always told to be respectful of rules and consider other people. Because of the selfish act by a dog owner I have not been able to go out with my dog on my own since.

Grannynannywanny Tue 10-Aug-21 14:28:33

I am a dog lover but no longer have one. My AC each have dogs and I love them to bits. I have a relative who has a severe learning disability. To say he is afraid of dogs doesn’t come close. He is utterly terrified and becomes hysterical if a strange dog comes near. I can’t take him in local parks because of dogs running around while their selfish owners are oblivious to the fact that not everyone is comfortable with a dog running to greet them.

We have to avoid dog friendly restaurants after a very upsetting experience when a woman allowed her dog’s lead to extend till her dog was alongside our table. Some dog owners just don’t get that not everyone loves their pooch just because they do.

Beswitched Tue 10-Aug-21 14:10:30

The two parks nearest to me have very clear signs saying dogs must be kept on a lead. They are widely ignored by selfish dog owners who just let their dogs run around with no regard for those who don't like, or are afraid of dogs.

Santana Tue 10-Aug-21 13:58:32

AIBU to expect dog owners to keep their dogs on a lead, as per signage, in my local park. There are open spaces available next to it where dogs can run free.
The park has enclosed and unenclosed children's play areas, plus sport's pitches. I have checked the government website and parks like this are covered by Public Spaces Protection Orders and a fixed penalty fine can be issued.
I asked 3 dog owners yesterday, in a non challenging way, if they were aware of the signage. One said I was a dog hater, another looked at me blankly and continued to search for her dog's poo which she was unaware of until I told her.
Another lady was lovely and instantly put her elderly lab on the lead.
I think a visit from local PCSO might be helpful.