Gransnet forums

AIBU

Eyebrows

(93 Posts)
ReadyMeals Thu 16-Sep-21 15:14:57

AIBU to wish the eyebrow fashion would hurry up and change so that pretty young girls can stop ruing their faces by painting what looks like ugly fat brown slugs above their eyes?

rowyn Fri 17-Sep-21 18:37:37

Hithere, why is it "up to someone" to follow a fashion? Is there a rule I don't know about? If so, I've been breaking it all my life!

Schumee Fri 17-Sep-21 17:40:46

My eyebrows were very thin and I have had them dyed a few times but they never lasted very long. I also had the micro blading which is like tattooing which really made them stand out but quite expensive - £200 plus and you have to have a top up too

Nanna58 Fri 17-Sep-21 17:31:47

Please please don’t use hair dye or beard dye- only use a dye specifically for your precious eye area!

KathrynP Fri 17-Sep-21 17:00:43

I have alopecia and my eyebrows fell out first. I had natural well shaped brows and used a gel mascara to keep them in check. One morning I grabbed my mascara to do them and they were missing!! I pencilled them in badly for a short time but used to end up with one when I got regular hot flushes so gave up. Now I wear glasses permanently to give my face some ‘character’. Miss them in the shower when the shampoo gets in my eyes but great laugh when beauticians try to stop me in the cosmetics aisle to ask if I want to try the new eyebrow threading service. If only!

Hopikins Fri 17-Sep-21 16:13:07

The horrible eyebrows girls have now makes them look like Groucho Marx/ The Marx Bros. Dreadful!!!

Lin663 Fri 17-Sep-21 16:03:24

Ha ha …I loved this…I am always going on about “slug” eyebrows - I hate them, so glad to find I am not alone!

Alioop Fri 17-Sep-21 14:53:07

Huge eyebrows, waist length hair, leggings and belly tops, that's the out of school uniform here these days. No individuality unlike when I was teen in the 80s, although that's also when I plucked my eyebrows to death and now they look awful.

seadragon Fri 17-Sep-21 14:07:24

I asked my best friend's big sister in the 1960's if she noticed anything different about my eyes - on which I had used blue eye shadow for the first time. "Your eyebrows need trimming" she said... Never have done it - never will..

Jane43 Fri 17-Sep-21 13:38:57

Soroptimum

My eyebrows are going greyer and greyer! Wondering whether to have them dyed - anyone done this?

Yes I have mine done every six weeks or so. It makes a huge difference as they were almost invisible.

Durga Fri 17-Sep-21 13:36:40

Yep! Plucked them to death in the seventies. Good thing there are so many great products out there.

Elvis58 Fri 17-Sep-21 13:36:35

You can get eyebrow mascara which is waterproof to colour your brows if they going grey.

Dianehillbilly1957 Fri 17-Sep-21 13:30:58

Slugs on the brow absolutely awful look!!

Suze56 Fri 17-Sep-21 13:20:43

I don't like the heavy overdone eyebrows either but it's the fashion at the moment. I can still remember my mum's horror at my thin eyebrows in the 70's, said I looked like a startled deer!

MickyD Fri 17-Sep-21 13:15:30

Well most of you will be pleased to know that thin brows are making a comeback. It was in a beauty mag email I received this week

polly123 Fri 17-Sep-21 13:06:51

Hate the trout pout and slug eyebrows, I call it the instagram look.

Quizzer Fri 17-Sep-21 13:03:20

I just can’t win. Naturally blond, I had thick dark eyebrows which I plucked but was still accused of being a ‘bottle blond’ because of them.
Now they are thinner and going grey so the fashion has flipped and I have to colour them to look up to date. Most of the time I just wear my hair over them.

Rosina Fri 17-Sep-21 12:47:41

Zoejory - 'she was in pleats?' I've never heard that expression but it sounds like a fantastic description of someone doubled up with laughter. You have now made me laugh too!

Grannygrumps1 Fri 17-Sep-21 12:34:21

I used to pluck mine and they are very thin BUT have improved since I got an eyebrow dye kit from Boots. If you have gone grey. Then there is a probability that your eyebrows have too. If you try it at home it’s really easy and is cheaper than going to a salon. The first time mine didn’t last long. But realised I should have kept the dye on longer. A box is about £6:00 and does eight to ten goes depending on how much you use. Well worth it. Much cheaper than pencil and no rush first thing in the morning.

Fernhillnana Fri 17-Sep-21 12:26:26

I have mine done, along with my eyelashes, every 6 weeks. It makes a huge difference.

Ro60 Fri 17-Sep-21 12:22:26

I Need the trend to change - mine are sparser now - probably not helped by earlier trends. They seem to be popping up on my chin now ? & I'm having a job trying to see the side ones - under glasses, over glasses ??
Time for a trip to get them done. The last appointment was cancelled due to covid?

janipans Fri 17-Sep-21 12:13:45

My thyroid is fine (so far as I know) but my eyebrows have always been naturally thin and I have never plucked them.
When the local police did a house to house enquiry and one of the questions was do you pluck your eyebrows. when I said "no", he looked at my face then asked me again - he just didn't believe me! (They also looked for nasal hair and piercings and when I asked why, I was told it was for elimination purposes as witnesses often remembered these features! - interesting! - so if you fancy robbing a bank, the trick is to paint on the slugs, glue a few false eyelashes up your nose, and for good measure add a non permanent tattoo, then when you go back to normal nobody would identify you! - Simples!

Iwtwab12bow Fri 17-Sep-21 12:09:01

I went to a beauty counter in a large department store with my then 5 year old Granddaughter. While l was looking at some lipsticks, she was staring very hard at the young girl behind the counter. She suddenly blurted out," oh Granny, why has that lady got black caterpillars on her face ?" Out of the mouths of babies!

Riverwalk Fri 17-Sep-21 12:00:18

I'm just back from having my eyebrows waxed & a pedicure, so looking pretty hot right now grin

Brows always look so much better and well-defined as the strays above, below and down the side are removed. I insist that any greys are plucked, even if it leaves a gap, and get the longer ones trimmed - oh, the joys!

choughdancer Fri 17-Sep-21 11:59:42

I had mine micro-bladed and am very happy with the result. I too had overplucked mine in the '70s, and they were almost invisible.

JdotJ Fri 17-Sep-21 11:55:08

nanaK54

I am not too keen on the very thick eyebrows, but I do so wish that I hadn't completely buggered mine up by over plucking in my younger years

I totally agree NanaK54. Mine are almost non existent now through overplucking over the years