Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are you irritated by incorrect grammar.

(208 Posts)
grandMattie Wed 12-Jan-22 10:43:10

Although, I have lived in this country for 50 years, I still find some local accents impenetrable!
I must admit that although English and French are my first languages, I too am very irritated by the “less/fewer” thing was instead of were, “I done..” etc.
My worst pet hat3 is when on the news one hears “the football club were …” instead of was. ?

FannyCornforth Wed 12-Jan-22 10:37:41

Who was it?

Sparklefizz Wed 12-Jan-22 10:37:02

Quizzer

I am all for regional accents, even though some can be mildly irritating.
However what really annoys me is blatantly incorrect grammar. On the news this morning I heard a senior politician using the phrases “you was” and “we was”. Unfortunately my brain automatically reduces my perception of the speaker’s IQ by about 20 points.
Am I alone in this, or are there any other glaring errors which really irritate you?

Quizzer I noticed that too, and I do exactly the same as you.

henetha Wed 12-Jan-22 10:35:55

Only faintly irritated. There's worse things to get seriously irritated about, imho.

Anniebach Wed 12-Jan-22 10:35:17

No, I am interested in what is being said not how

FannyCornforth Wed 12-Jan-22 10:28:26

Malorie Blackman was interviewed on Radio 4 yesterday and said ‘less’ when she should have said ‘fewer’.

I find it difficult to judge people for making grammatical errors in speech, as I find talking more problematic than writing if that makes sense. And if you are being interviewed/ recorded I would find it doubly stressful.
And there’s no edit button is there?

So yes, it’s irritating, but I don’t do the IQ thing.
I have spent my entire life being thought of as a bit thick due to my accent, so I’m more forgiving of others

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 12-Jan-22 10:10:03

You are not alone (see Pedants’ Corner). Barely a day passes without my commenting on the bad grammar I hear on television news. A frequent bugbear is hearing someone unable to decide in the space of a single sentence whether the body they are talking about should be referred to in the singular or plural.

Quizzer Wed 12-Jan-22 10:01:45

I am all for regional accents, even though some can be mildly irritating.
However what really annoys me is blatantly incorrect grammar. On the news this morning I heard a senior politician using the phrases “you was” and “we was”. Unfortunately my brain automatically reduces my perception of the speaker’s IQ by about 20 points.
Am I alone in this, or are there any other glaring errors which really irritate you?