Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbours' fence panel down

(64 Posts)
Smurf52 Fri 15-Sep-17 14:41:22

I've just moved into a rented house and was hoping this would be my forever home (well, until my money runs out that is). Then I noticed dog poo in my garden. Looking behind my shrubs I notice the fence panel (the letting agent has said it's the neighbours fence) has disintegrated and collapsed on their side and their dog is getting into my garden. Every day the dog has done their business on my side.

The letting agent says to contact police which I don't really want to do as when I first moved in there were Macdonalds wrappers etc hurled over on to my side and I dread to think what would happen if I get on the wrong side of them.

I have dropped a note into their letterbox offering to put up a panel at my expense and giving my phone number but they don't seem that bothered as they've not got back to me. The agent says next door is privately owned so there is not a landlord/letting agency I can contact.

AIBU in wanting to get this sorted out? For now I have put folded flat removal boxes alongside and by the sound of the yapping it's a small dog so hopefully it won't vault over. I am not anti dog, in fact I am hoping to get a dog once I am settled in, hence wanting to get the fence sorted....

cornergran Fri 15-Sep-17 14:53:37

I can understand you desire not to annoy new neighbours but no, you aren't being unreasonable. If the fence definite,y belongs to your neighbour and the agent isn't just wriggling out of a repair I agree, the police seems heavy handed and I'm not sure they would respond. There could be all sorts of other official channels and if so I am sure someone will be along to exp,aim. I'm wondering if there is there any way you, or someone on your behalf, could fix something stronger and more permanent on your side of the fence. Should be possible, even if you need to put in two fence posts in your garden to do it. It is a shame when you like the house and had hoped to stay for a long while. Neighbours can never be predicted sadly. I think I am a little worried for you As they don't sound the most friendly. Have you ever chatted with them? I hope it all works out for you and someone else can be more helpful.

starbird Fri 15-Sep-17 15:05:59

It's possible that they don't have the money to do it, or the skills to do it themselves - it is not always easy to find someone to do a small job like that, let alone one who would do it well. Do you have a son, grandson or friend who could do it? If so I would knock on their door early one evening and say my .... has offered to fix the fence is that OK with you? You could mention that you are thinking of getting a (big) dog and are worried that it will go into their garden. It would be a good way to make a friendly start even if you never see them again.

shysal Fri 15-Sep-17 15:11:10

I think if it was me I would cover the gap with something like this.
reed garden screening
You have tried contacting them so doubt they would object. They can be attached with just a couple of staples to your side of the existing posts, easily removed if they want to replace the panel.

devongirl Fri 15-Sep-17 16:05:37

Is it worth knocking on their door to ask about putting up your own fence?

Anya Fri 15-Sep-17 16:30:21

I agree with Shysal - simply erect a barrier on your side over the gap. Alternatively dig a ditch and line it with lime and/or landmines and stand well clear ?☠️⚡️

Nelliemoser Fri 15-Sep-17 18:38:19

wire mesh fencing?
www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Coated-Fencing-Garden-Galvanised/dp/B00XQ11BV2/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_86_tr_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BYZ5QDNN8P8JDK9SFEEX&tag=gransnetforum-21

You would need some stakes but its cheaper than a slot in fence panel

Smurf52 Fri 15-Sep-17 18:41:56

Thanks shysal I've ordered the reed screening from Wickes and will give it a go.

silverlining48 Fri 15-Sep-17 19:09:01

If its a rented house then surely its the landlords responsibility. ?

lemongrove Fri 15-Sep-17 19:47:47

It is.

lemongrove Fri 15-Sep-17 19:51:10

Unless, the onus is on the other side, in which case it's up to the house with the dog to erect the new fence panel.
If you stand in your back garden, the left side is usually your responsibility.
Ask your landlord if not sure about it.
Then buy a huge Alsation.

Marieeliz Sat 16-Sep-17 09:21:22

How awkward. I have a new neighbour, she has a dog. Poor thing never goes out. My fence is quite high and I cannot see whether she picks dog poo up or not. I have a dog also who I walk three times a day.

I understand she is in full time work but is off sick at the moment so what happens then, to the poor dog, I do not know. It has been left out in the back in rain and although it barks when she leaves I feel sorry for it.

The previous tenants who I posted problems with a couple of years ago re trying to block rear access. Have done a house swop with her and they are now knocking a much larger house into shape. These are both Housing Trust properties. Housing Trusts don't seem to care what people do either. Swopping into houses much too big for their needs and there is supposed to be a shortage.

Jaycee5 Sat 16-Sep-17 09:32:14

It's a civil matter and the letting agents are just trying to deflect their responsibility. With the number of police cuts they don't even always come out if there is a crime.
As others have said, just block it from your side. It sounds like the less contact you have with your neighbours the better.
Hopefully what you have ordered will work and you can just forget about it.

harrysgran Sat 16-Sep-17 09:37:56

I would try and get someone to put a fence panel on your side maybe if you approached the landlord and said you are willing to pay for the materials if they provide the labour failing all else throw the dog poo back where it belongs (that was a joke)

jimmythewonderdog Sat 16-Sep-17 09:38:14

At our old house we had snotty aspiring-posh bullying neighbours from hell - they would have enjoyed having the upper hand (i.e. fence being down; you being annoyed about the dog poo). I learned that it is best to act quickly. Consult the neighbours if you wish/feel up to it (I got to the stage where I couldn't, and I would feel sick as I approached my own house). However, my understanding is that yes its the left side which usually belongs to you BUT you can put up what you like in your own garden - so you can put up a new inner fence, a leylandii wall (heaven forbid), or another fence panel. The existing fence is their responsibility to replace but a new panel on your land belongs to you. My ghastly neighbours erected a whole inner fence at the bottom of their tiny London garden as they didn't like the fence the neighbours had put up. And pretend you are getting a very large, very fierce dog and it is for their own good if challenged about the fence. Rottweiler, Alsatian etc. And perhaps erect some plants that are really prickly, pyracantha for example and that should deter the little dog. You can always take the plants out once things have settled down.

jevive73 Sat 16-Sep-17 09:44:46

You can leave their fence alone and put up something on your side. As you are renting, the easiest way would be something like chicken wire which does not require pemanent fixing. if you staple it to your side, you can remove it if they object as they or their landlords probably own the fence, if the letting agents are right. i would expect packing boxes to disintegrate in the rain?

damewithaname Sat 16-Sep-17 09:46:20

Erect the fence where needed yourself. I'm sure they probably don't even care much about anything and wouldn't fuss over a fence being put up either.

jevive73 Sat 16-Sep-17 09:46:56

A rental tenant would presumably need landlords permission to erect a permanent fence??

grannytotwins Sat 16-Sep-17 09:59:58

It's quite legal to erect a fence running parallel to next door's provided its inside your garden and no more than two metres high. My last garden had beautiful hand built fences and my neighbour was upset that it was less than two metres so he put one on his land next to mine. It blocked my view of the beautiful countryside, but there was nothing I could do about it.

SillyNanny321 Sat 16-Sep-17 10:00:36

A rental tenant has very little rights i have found. The 'gentleman' who owned the house next to the one i rent took down the fence & refused to replace it as it was supposedly down to my Landlord. Landlord refused to replace the fence panel so i was left with a large gap that the tenants next doors child climbed through & ran& riot in my garden! I now have new neighbours with 3 dogs & 2 fence panels propped across the gap. About the best i can hope for as i have no one to help!

aitch Sat 16-Sep-17 10:12:34

Try sprinkling extra hot and strong chilli powder applied to the area, spread it liberally, all around and regularly reapplied. The dog may only have to sniff it once to get the message.

Maidmarion Sat 16-Sep-17 10:24:36

I've written about this on here before - but my neighbour had me 'arrested' (even had to be put in the cells!!!!) because when I arrived here I was cutting the hedge on my side (it's his hedge and I was trying to 'level' it my side.) He would continually shout abuse at me when he passed in his car, and eventually stopped at the end of my drive one day as I was picking flowers. I went to his car to suggest he came to look at how the hedge had improved since I 'layered' it, but as I had a small pair of scissors in my right hand (for posy picking!) he reported to the police that I had tried to attack him with them........... whatttt?????? Long story, but the upshot is they didn't charge me and I had a battle to get my fingerprints, DNA etc.wiped off the records............ so, yes, I do sympathise with people who have awkward neighbours...!!!!!!!! Good luck!

BlueBelle Sat 16-Sep-17 10:38:05

Just put your fence up your side and say nothing then you will be free of dog and dog poo
No point in talking or asking them you won't get anywhere and certainly don't call the police They sound benign just ignorant
Take the path of least resistance always in neighbour disputes bad feeling can escalate and cause enormous lifetime problems it's just not worth it

Mardler123 Sat 16-Sep-17 10:41:50

Please tell me what is meant by 'the left side'? Is it the left when facing the house or left when facing the garden? Thanks in advance.

Rosina Sat 16-Sep-17 10:48:32

It would seem you have heard nothing from the neighbours at all, so is it unreasonable to assume that they are not aggressive or unhelpful, just non communicative? This could be for many reasons (Maybe someone in the house is ill and needs a lot of attention, or some similar scenario, and the fence is the last thing on their minds.) Contacting 'The Police' seems a heavy handed route, and as they evidently don't even respond to CCTV images/number plates of villains actually handed to them (lack of manpower - no criticism here) I can't see them rushing round to sort out some dog poo. I would just put up a sturdy barrier, either a fence panel or anything suitable, and sprinkle some hot spice as suggested around the area. The worst thing is to fall out with neighbours but you do seem to have an absolute dread of people that you haven't seen or heard from as yet - bad past experience is very hard to get out of your head isn't it?