Gransnet forums

AIBU

Games Threads.

(55 Posts)
merlotgran Sat 17-Mar-18 00:05:47

There are currently sixteen on the go.

I suppose I AM being unreasonable but is this what we've become?

sad

Chewbacca Sat 17-Mar-18 00:18:16

Maybe start a thread of your own that people would respond to? If the topics are there, people generally reply.

merlotgran Sat 17-Mar-18 00:23:00

Chewbacca. I've been on Gransnet for six years so I think you can assume I've started a few threads.

merlotgran Sat 17-Mar-18 00:24:17

And I've just started this one. grin

Nanabelle Sat 17-Mar-18 00:27:01

merlotgran - I haven't been here on for ages (because I was spending too much time on here!) but came on today through a google search on Thyronorm for Cats! Another hour has gone by browsing threads, but I have to agree with you - there seem to be lots of game threads! And I recognised your name, but there are lots I don't recognise!

Chewbacca Sat 17-Mar-18 00:27:16

I'm sure you have merlot, I wasn't implying you hadn't. But people can only post on live topics, can't they? If there aren't many live topics in the forums that they can discuss, maybe that's why they turn to games?

MissAdventure Sat 17-Mar-18 00:29:31

We need a few controversial threads.. lets see.. we've had 'how do you hang your washing out', which was very popular. smile
There are a lot of games threads though, but I suppose they're popular.

merlotgran Sat 17-Mar-18 00:30:48

That's actually my point, Chewbacca.

Where have the people who used to start interesting threads gone?

MissAdventure Sat 17-Mar-18 00:31:16

P.S "too"..
Oh! For an edit feature!

merlotgran Sat 17-Mar-18 00:32:27

I didn't go on that one, MissAdventure. A bit risky for me. grin

You wouldn't want to see my washing line in action.

MissAdventure Sat 17-Mar-18 00:35:01

grin shhh! Remember these are open forums. You wouldn't want your smalls ending up all over the daily mail. grin

Chewbacca Sat 17-Mar-18 00:37:50

I started a "badges to identify women on the menopause" thread but it wasn't at all controversial either, I'm afraid!

I think MissA might have hit the nail on the head though. A lot of posters have been put off posting as much for fear that their posts will end up either on Facebook or quoted in the DM. A few said that they were leaving because of that.

MissAdventure Sat 17-Mar-18 00:46:19

I made a fairly risky thread quite a while back asking people to list things grannies would never do.. like smoke pot, pole dance round lamp posts when drunk.
Then some arse body decided to bring it up as if to use it in 'evidence' against me.

Anniebach Sat 17-Mar-18 05:04:52

Sixteen games threads and a thread about the sixteen games threads ?

sodapop Sat 17-Mar-18 08:41:37

Games threads should have their own space, too many on here. I find it wearing on a games thread wading through lots of pages to ensure I don't duplicate an answer.
I agree that everyone is much more cautious now in case their post is made public in some way.

Elegran Sat 17-Mar-18 09:29:47

Why do so many people turn to the games threads and post repeatedly on them, which keeps them going for ever? They must have some ingredient which attracts posters and then keeps their attention
A transient conversation on hanging up washing or having an altercation in the car park doesn't have staying power, so it fades after a while, and appeals for advice only last for a shortish while. The ones that persist are of two kinds - confrontational debates (though all of those tend to be populated by the same small dedicated group) and non-threateningly competitive ones that exercise the mind and the funny-bone - the games threads.

Elegran Sat 17-Mar-18 09:34:48

I second the suggestion made above - the answer is to start a new thread on an interesting subject, and to post on such threads started by other people. We only have the threads that someone starts and keeps going.

And if you don't like the games threads being there, why are you trying to fight your way through a long one?

BTW, you can reverse the order that the posts are listed in, to see the latest one at the top - that cuts out a lot of scrolling.

SparklyGrandma Sat 17-Mar-18 10:00:19

merlotgran I find that the word games have helped my memory and concentration. Surely a proper subject for a GN thread, games or otherwise?

FarNorth Sat 17-Mar-18 10:19:23

Why pick on the Games threads? Just ignore if you don't like them.
Lack of interesting topics is a separate moan!

Not long ago, a GN poster's family had seen (via facebook) that she had discussed a family problem on here. It caused her a lot of trouble and horrified many other Gransnetters.

I think that the growing awareness of possible publicity on facebook or in the press has contributed to a lack of forthcoming-ness in posting.

Marydoll Sat 17-Mar-18 11:13:06

I agree, there is a dearth of interesting threads just now.
However, I do enjoy the games threads.
If you don't like them, just ignore them, it's not compulsory to join in.

lemongrove Sat 17-Mar-18 11:27:09

I think more posters should pop into The Argy ( we can do thought provoking and controversial) why, only last week we discussed the merits of the Admiral over the Captain,
And put bets on Marydoll ending up with Big Jim.
Plenty of wine too Merlot.?

merlotgran Sat 17-Mar-18 11:44:24

Oooh Pub games. Now you're talking, lemon

Are your tables strong enough for 'Climbing up sunshine mountain?'

grin

henetha Sat 17-Mar-18 11:56:56

I suppose the reason there are so many games threads is simply that lots of us like them.

lemongrove Sat 17-Mar-18 12:09:14

Merlot our tables are made from reinforced steel, they have to be, to take the combined weight of Marydoll and Chewbacca and Meno when they do their dance of the seven veils( well, more like the seven cardigans and a vest.)
It’s a sight, I can tell you!
We are having a karaoke nite on Sunday......all are welcome.
Brush up on your chosen song right now.??

merlotgran Sat 17-Mar-18 13:38:11

So no bills for broken tables then. That's a relief. I think I once managed seventeen people aloft before the whole thing collapsed. blush

I might look in on Sunday night. The Durrells are back on TV and they always put me in the mood for a drink. grin