Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to have had enough?

(194 Posts)
tictac Sat 21-Jul-18 13:42:58

Everyone I know has been having a go at me for daring to say this. But I can't cope with this weather much longer. It is relentless and although we have fans the heat has built up over the last weeks to the point where they are just blowing hot air around. I can't sleep and I am sweaty all the time and I am praying for rain

MissAdventure Sat 21-Jul-18 13:44:59

I can't bear it either.
I won't complain in the winter: I never do, but I much prefer spring and autumn weather.

tictac Sat 21-Jul-18 13:47:49

Exactly those are both my favourite times of year. Blue skies and fair weather for walking or being outdoors without sweating and struggling all the time

MissAdventure Sat 21-Jul-18 13:49:45

smile Lovely weather for pottering in.
This hot weather, sweaty, itchy, red eyes from the sweat running into them, and a sunburnt head!
Its not my idea of fun at all.

Bellanonna Sat 21-Jul-18 13:50:13

So agree MissAdventure. Some like it, some don’t. I always feel thst in winter I can wear two thermal vests etc but I can do little about this unremitting heat. I appreciate that lots of people like love it and I’m sure they’ll join the thread to tell us we’re ungrateful moaners. Each to his own.

tictac Sat 21-Jul-18 13:53:11

well at least we are not alone!

sodapop Sat 21-Jul-18 13:54:12

I am exactly the same as previous posters. Spring and Autumn are my favourite seasons. I know the sun is good for everyone and I shouldn't moan but..........
I agree Bellanonna it's much easier to keep warm than to keep cool.

Melanieeastanglia Sat 21-Jul-18 13:55:14

I love not having to take an anorak and the fact that washing dries so quickly. It's lovely if you're near water and can cool off or you're just relaxing. Wonderful for people on holiday.

I agree it can be hard sometimes for everyday living but I expect Autumn and Winter will be hear before we know it.

I think I like all times of the year for different reasons.

MissAdventure Sat 21-Jul-18 13:56:46

I wouldn't go on holiday to somewhere with the temperatures we've been having.
I don't even enjoy sitting around in it.

Bathsheba Sat 21-Jul-18 13:57:00

No, I'm not going to tell you you're ungrateful moaners. I would usually agree with you all and say I'm fed up with it, because I don't handle the heat very well as a rule. But for some reason, this year I'm just continuing to enjoy it and really don't want it to come to an end. Mind you, a lot of that is down to being retired and therefore able to seek a shady spot and relax when I want to. I don't think I'd be enjoying it so much if I was crawling to work in stop/start traffic, spending the day in an airless office just praying for the hands of the clock to get to going home time, then having to crawl back home in stop/start traffic. I really feel for any of you having to deal with that.

tictac Sat 21-Jul-18 14:08:11

and my lawn is ruined. we are on a water meter and can't afford to water in constantly plus there is meant to be a ban soon so there is no point but it is yellow and dry and looking very sorry for itself

MissAdventure Sat 21-Jul-18 14:11:20

So am I!!

tanith Sat 21-Jul-18 14:14:18

Your lawn will recover mines dead too but it will be fine.
I’m still liking the weather but I do understand when people have had enough.

Beau Sat 21-Jul-18 14:26:57

I think it varies around the country too - in the North West where I am at the moment it was actually chilly yesterday evening but I am now on the train to my own flat down South for a few days and I see it's to be 30 degrees on Monday - that's 5 degrees hotter than the hottest it's been here.

M0nica Sat 21-Jul-18 15:13:50

Before you go to bed, run a really cool, not quite cold, bath, once in add a bit more cold, then lie there until you have really cooled down, almost shivering, probably for half an hour. Air dry yourself and get into bed with just a sheet over you. This should give you 5-6 hours sleep before you you start getting over heated.

I have done this during the day as well if needed. Yes, I know there is a water shortage, but I consider this a health and wellbeing issue, especially as you get older.

I must say that this year, because the heat is so dry, not humid and muggy, I have fared much better than usual and have yet to need the cold bath treatment.

Grandma70s Sat 21-Jul-18 15:14:12

It is very comfortable here in the NW at the moment, certainly compared with London and the Home Counties where I was last week, visiting my family. It was around 30. I usually love being there, but looking at next week’s forecast temperatures I’m very glad I'll be here!

Like others I find heat unbearable. I don't understand why anyone enjoys it.

lemongrove Sat 21-Jul-18 15:47:17

I’m in the ‘not liking it club’ too, it’s been far to hot for far too long.
Yes, the good thing is getting washing dry, and having breakfast in the garden, but that’s all.
I feel as if I need to nod off by 3pm, probably because I get so little sleep during the night.Bah!

Baggs Sat 21-Jul-18 15:49:35

Lawns are not ruined by drying out. They recover once they are well dampened again.

MissAdventure Sat 21-Jul-18 15:49:56

Its been relentlessly hot here.
Two spits of rain and temperatures in the 25-31's.
I feel quite weak with it all!

Auntieflo Sat 21-Jul-18 16:03:12

M0nica, I expect that you are being really, really economical, and not letting out the bath water, so that you can use it again and again. Ad infinitum. (No bubbles allowed). ? ? ? (Can't find a tongue firmly in cheek emoticon)

petra Sat 21-Jul-18 16:21:53

If you can't do the bath thing, run the inside of your wrists under a cold tap. Also put a cold wet flannel on the back of your neck.

Azie09 Sat 21-Jul-18 16:32:58

We're all different aren't we! Heat tolerance may have a genetic basis. Come the winter I will be deeply miserable, unable to get warm however many clothes I wear, huddling by the radiator and shivering with freezing hands and feet. I have a core temperature several degrees below normal which is probably part of the reason for how I suffer in the cold, so in January I shall be saying 'I just can't bear this any longer'!!

Greyduster Sat 21-Jul-18 16:37:32

Have no fear! I am on holiday in nine days time and that will herald the end of the heatwave and the beginning of torrential downpours, I can almost guarantee! Pessimistic? Moi? I am off to mend my waterproof trousers!

MissAdventure Sat 21-Jul-18 16:41:26

grin greyduster!

BlueBelle Sat 21-Jul-18 16:47:08

Azie I m like you I feel miserable in the cold weather Oh I so love it now to wake each day and know I can go out without a coat, cardi, umbrella
I ve just been for a swim in the sea, then sat in my garden with a coffee The garden temp was 40 degrees 104 in old temps, I know a lot don’t like it but you can always get cool my living room is cool as a cucumber but we have so little hot weather and it makes me smile when we do I feel the cold so much more than the heat
Good job we re all different I think you’re right it is genetic myMum loved the hot weather and Dad was always in the garden