Gransnet forums

AIBU

Railways

(37 Posts)
BPJ Thu 20-Sep-18 13:18:09

AIBU to complain about people bringing bicycles onto a overcrowded rush hour train that has only one carriage?
Must be a health and safety issue. Our local train service provides one coach in rush hour and two in off peak... Go figure

tanith Thu 20-Sep-18 14:38:02

Not ideal but they are as entitled as the next person if they’ve paid their fare provided the train company involved allow bycicles as each provider is different. I think cyclists are told that wheel chair/buggy space can be used for someone with a bike.

OldMeg Thu 20-Sep-18 14:53:27

Live and let live. They may well have a long ride home from the station.

BPJ Thu 20-Sep-18 15:07:40

That's as may be, but what happens in the case of an accident and the exits and gangways are blocked?

M0nica Thu 20-Sep-18 16:24:45

If someone takes a bike into a carriage, I think they are breaking the railway rules and conditions. Most trains have specific places where bikes can be placed and limit the number of bikes per service.

You should speak to your local station or HQ HSE of the train line involved. Having said that, if you are talking bikes that fold right down, then they are no worse than large loaded rucksacks or suitcases, which also often clutter gamgways and exits. Full size bikes should NOT be in passenger coaches.

Maggiemaybe Thu 20-Sep-18 16:39:14

The train my DD2 uses always has two pram spaces, adjacent to each other, and two hanging racks for bikes. She often gets on to find that there's a cyclist standing next to his bike, which is taking up both pram spaces. I assume they just can't be bothered to hang the bike up, though they always manage it if the guard gets involved.

Pudding123 Sat 22-Sep-18 11:11:15

My son in law cycles to station then vomited to London then cycles to his job to save money and keep fit,he has just had a baby to support so please just live and let live.a little more kindness can go a long way

Pudding123 Sat 22-Sep-18 11:11:54

Commutes not vomited

mabon1 Sat 22-Sep-18 11:14:04

If they have paid for themselves and the cycle then what can one do?

icanhandthemback Sat 22-Sep-18 11:18:44

Don't blame the cyclist, blame the train company if they don't provide a guard's carriage for bikes. The cyclist is doing his bit for the planet.

Eglantine21 Sat 22-Sep-18 11:22:16

You know Id be happy if my railway franchise could come up with a train to put a bicycle in..........

Nanny27 Sat 22-Sep-18 11:22:22

I think it's up to the train company to accommodate all passengers including cyclists. I sometimes feel a little irritated by parents who refuse to fold a buggy which then blocks the way but... Hey

Legs55 Sat 22-Sep-18 11:30:18

It used to be that cycles weren't allowed on many commuter trains at the guard's discretion. I agree about Mum's & pushchairs, these take up an exceptional amount of space these days & don't easily fold the pushchairs not the Mums . I have no objection to cyclists standing by the doors as long as other passengers can get on & off safely. Commuter trains no longer have guard's vans or compartments, another sign of progresshmm

jocork Sat 22-Sep-18 11:48:17

When my son was a student, he brought his bike home in the holidays and back for term time. He doesn't drive and cycles everywhere so it is a necessity for him. One holiday, he'd booked the bike on the main train from London to Leeds as usual, but you can't make a booking for the 20 mile 'commute' to London. On that particular day there was a major cycling event in our area so bikes were banned just for the day. When we got to the station he was refused the bike so I had to drive him into central London at extremely short notice. We made his Leeds train - just- but it was incredibly stressful, yet no notice had been given to him of this one day rule. I understand it must be annoying for other commuters sometimes, but this was a Sunday and we were gobsmacked by the 'jobsworth' who insisted on the rule for my son, who was not involved in the cycling event, as the train would have been no more crowded than usual - especially as he'd paid for the ticket in advance. The rule was to prevent people cycling in the event but giving up part way and getting the train home, thus possibly filling the train with huge numbers of bikes.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 22-Sep-18 12:10:23

Could you suggest to your train companies that they take a good long look at the Danish trains used in and around Copenhagen on the S-train net? These have two carriages (one either end of the train) with collapsible seats with bike stands instead of seat-legs.

Here there is room for bikes, prams, bulky luggage, dogs on leads etc. and the passengers can sit down too.

Elderly people or others using wheelchairs, or handicap scooters are advised to use the carriage at the front of the train, so the train-driver can come and help them on and off, as he deploys the ramp for them and lends a hand getting them on and off the train.

Candelle Sat 22-Sep-18 12:16:26

One day we will catch up with almost any other continental country (who have space for cycles on trains - and encourage them, sometimes for a small fee).

Cycles keep one fit, save people like me (with dodgy chests) from extra pollution and reduce traffic jams.

Yes, it is difficult having to squish in beside a cycle on a packed train and I absolutely understand the OP's point of view but as another has said, blame the train company for it is they that have created this situation.

BPJ, have you considered writing to the train company and urging others to do the same? It is just... possible that they will add an additional coach to your line for I am sure that you are not the only person complaining, or the only cyclist embarrassed about their journey, too. The situation is difficult for everyone.

inishowen Sat 22-Sep-18 12:48:11

Pudding123. I'm still giggling at your son in law vomiting to London!

GabriellaG Sat 22-Sep-18 12:50:02

A young mum regularly manoeuvres her double buggy + 1 other child + huge backpack + coats + kids bags + shopping onto our local single decker bus. Phew! It's a nightmare getting past and a nightmare listening to them - all under 4 years old.
Local trains have plenty of carriages and usually 3 can take bikes, folded or not. There are a few restrictions at peak times.

Jane10 Sat 22-Sep-18 13:08:28

pudding I was very take aback by your son vomiting to London! Very violent projectile vomit I assume!

Jane10 Sat 22-Sep-18 13:16:36

I know all the blah blah about the wonderfulness of bikes but I really struggle with them on congested city streets.
At a recent preview for the forthcoming 'Johnny English' film there is a clip of him driving on a continental cliffside road. Coming up behind a group of cyclists taking up the whole road he says to the assistant, 'Deploy the missiles'. The assistant protested, 'They're only cyclists sir' to the response, 'They're French cyclists'!
The audience roared. Anti cyclists or anti EU? Something for either.

OldMeg Sat 22-Sep-18 15:02:04

Pudding I’m still chuckling too. Nice one ??

Sparklefizz Sat 22-Sep-18 16:17:42

A young mum regularly manoeuvres her double buggy + 1 other child + huge backpack + coats + kids bags + shopping onto our local single decker bus. Phew! It's a nightmare getting past and a nightmare listening to them - all under 4 years old.

I feel sorry for that young mum having to manage all that.

Pudding123 Sat 22-Sep-18 16:44:13

Yes I giggled when I read it,that will teach me not to send it before previewing the message!

annodomini Sat 22-Sep-18 17:10:58

Loved your typo, Pudding. It made me think about DS who commutes to London by train but keeps his bike overnight in supposedly secure storage at Paddington from which his bike was stolen a few weeks ago. hmm

BlueBelle Sat 22-Sep-18 17:33:34

Cyclists can never get it right it’s up to the train provider to either make accommodation for them or have no cycles on board at all