Gransnet forums

AIBU

What irritates you?

(225 Posts)
NanKate Tue 13-Nov-18 21:45:30

I can be heard shouting at the TV when actors hold cups/mugs around the outside instead of using the handle properly.

Hugging a cushion elicits the same reaction from me.

Bathsheba Tue 13-Nov-18 21:55:29

Ooh I used to love hugging a cushion when I was younger! Don't quite know when or why I stopped doing this hmm. And I often wrap my hands around a mug, eschewing the handle completely - a lovely comforting way to warm my hands up in the cold weather!
But I promise, if we ever meet NanKate, to try not to do this in your company wink

Chewbacca Tue 13-Nov-18 21:56:51

People --usually men--who crack their knuckles. It knocks me sick. I can visualise the bones grinding against each other and it just annoys the hell out of me. I have to restrain myself from slapping their hands to stop them.

MissAdventure Tue 13-Nov-18 22:07:10

Both my grandsons are 'crackers'. Knuckles, knees, backs. You name it, they crack it.
Makes me feel nauseous.

lemongrove Tue 13-Nov-18 22:09:17

Not much tbh , although anyone being noisy and/or slurping and crunching near me in the cinema makes me want to slap them round the head.?

MissAdventure Tue 13-Nov-18 22:11:39

People talking loudly on their phones in public irritates me.
Some people broadcast the most private conversations on the bus, train, and so on.

Grammaretto Tue 13-Nov-18 23:04:02

I will second the noisy eating in cinemas and the loud phoning on public transport.
Note to self: try not to do this.
Most of my wrath these days is directed at people in power who make stupid decisions....

DanniRae Tue 13-Nov-18 23:07:17

People who say 'haitch' instead of 'aitch' - drives me crazy.
angry

MissAdventure Tue 13-Nov-18 23:10:33

More than irritated, I'm quietly seething when I get on the bus and have to stand, all squashed up at the front; almost in with the driver, whilst people sit with bags and laptops on the seats.

Scribbles Tue 13-Nov-18 23:15:57

People noisily sucking their teeth.

People who say "you know" or "d'ya know what I mean?" at the end of every sentence.

Junk mail, addressed or otherwise.

Scribbles Tue 13-Nov-18 23:20:27

MissA - do what I do: stand over the offender and say loudly,"Please move your bag. I want to sit down". Nobody ever refuses (and if they did I'd just pick up the bag and put it on their knee or on the floor by their feet).

Coolgran65 Tue 13-Nov-18 23:26:49

DanniRae I think it's usually those educated by the nuns who say 'haitch' and in particular the nuns from Ireland.

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Nov-18 23:27:28

People who play trumpet voluntary when they blow their noses.
I can hear one in the distance as I type. [sigh]

MissAdventure Tue 13-Nov-18 23:28:23

I'm too cowardly.. I just think terrible things.
A tall man did shout down the bus the other day "i can see empty seats down there, so can you please either sit down in them or move down the bus!"
We seem to have this stupid issue with nobody wanting to move down the bus because they're not going far.
None of us are, its a small island we live on!

MissAdventure Tue 13-Nov-18 23:30:11

Mens noses do play the most extraordinary tunes when they blow them grin

Chewbacca Tue 13-Nov-18 23:36:56

The woman in the office who says "nom nom nom" when she starts to eat her lunch. Every. Single. Day.

MissAdventure Tue 13-Nov-18 23:38:27

grin

NanKate Wed 14-Nov-18 07:42:34

Thank you Bathsheba I appreciate you being prepared to cut me a bit of slack. I can understand on a cold day someone warming their fingers on a mug, it’s when they ignore the handle as if it didn’t exist.

You have made me laugh Chewbacca ?

TwiceAsNice Wed 14-Nov-18 07:51:54

I also hate loud phone calls on public transport and people who talk on the phone walking down the street and I have to leap out of their way so they don't walk into me.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 14-Nov-18 07:57:22

Men, usually young ones, walking down the road scratching/repositioning their "manhood"

Slurping liquids and noisy eating.

Spitting in the street.

Lateness.

I think I'm turning into a grumpy old granny!!!!!

BlueBelle Wed 14-Nov-18 08:02:05

Just looked down at my coffee cupped in my hands and realise I don’t use the handle either so no meet ups for us Nankate
What irritates me is in the charity shop the people that open every CLEAR bag to make sure they see what s inside but then leave the item the bag and the price label in three different places, also the customers that take an item, say a girls dress, wander round with it, then hang it back upside down, inside out and in the boys section, and the people that bring their kids with food, ice cream and drinks in their hands (despite the big notice) and the sweethearts then drop, spill and leave their little chocolaty hands everywhere

sodapop Wed 14-Nov-18 08:24:14

Yes the phone thing is really irritating, I don't want to hear the boring details of your life/job.
TV presenters who don't pronounce words properly and Chris Evans is extremely irritating.
Jalima my husband does the trumpet voluntary, I have no idea why.

Granny23 Wed 14-Nov-18 08:38:32

People who, in response to some major difficulty you are in, offer an instant solution, starting "You should just..................."

yggdrasil Wed 14-Nov-18 08:44:00

Chewbacca: you should start saying nom nom nom just before she does. Every day. smile

DoraMarr Wed 14-Nov-18 08:52:32

“”Yourself” instead of you. As in, “I’ll email the receipt to yourself.”