Gransnet forums

AIBU

discourteous driving

(66 Posts)
PECS Thu 15-Nov-18 10:20:17

Coming home after a governing board meeting at the local school last night about 9:45 I was approaching the turn into the close where I live. The road I was on is narrow and when fully parked up ( one side only) only has room for one car...me! As I approached my turning a car appeared coming towards me. Instead of stopping just before the road junction so that I could turn in the carcontinued so we were both in the narrow part hmm I could tell he was determined I should reverse the length of 7/8 cars to the next possible space to pass. He could have reversed 2 car lengths to the space behind him that he had just driven across.

As I started reversing he moved forward and kept pace with me. I then scraped a parked car.angry My fault but I am so angry as it was all avoidable.

He then had the nerve to shout 'you just hit a car!' He was a young, well spoken guy about 20 ish. When I said that I knew I had and how discourteous his driving was he started shouting it was not his fault. I said, calmly that I was responsible for my driving but he was responsible for his which was selfish and unhelpful. By this time a queue of cars were behind him so he squeezed by and the other cars waited so I could get home! I wish I had taken his number now!
I have left a message on the windscreen of the car I scraped but nobody has called or arrived yet !

Situpstraight1 Thu 15-Nov-18 12:15:10

My DD was on a hill, single track road, a chap came speeding down from the top of the hill, she had priority as she was coming out of a village and was almost at the top of said hill. The chap sat there, my daughter switched off her engine, took her sandwiches out and started to eat them, chap reversed up the hill.my DDs motto! Do no harm, but take no S***t.!

Fennel Thu 15-Nov-18 12:18:41

I would have been angry too - especially as I'm not good at reversing.
After a few similar experiences, what I decided to do, if it ever happened again, was put the brake on, get out of the car and ask them to reverse it for me because I can't do it.
I haven't tried that yet.
The worst I had was on a very narrow country road. Going up hill I saw a huge combine harvester coming down. I had to reverse about 100m to pull in to a lane and let him pass.
I was weaving from side to side and just avoided the ditches.

BBbevan Thu 15-Nov-18 12:58:45

I. think this is just symptomatic of this day and age. No manners, no empathy and a sense of entitlement. You wonder sometimes how some people passed their driving test. If they ever did .And many would never leave a note. Although my DH would and has. Well done for being honest PECS

gulligranny Thu 15-Nov-18 14:17:52

I was taught that if the obstacle was on your side, you stopped to let the oncoming vehicle get past safely, and I always try to drive in a considerate way. That's gone by the board now: I was recently put in the same position as the OP - parked cars down one side, nowhere to pass - by an AA Driving School car! And the aggression, particularly by younger drivers, is getting beyond a joke. BTW, do they actually get taught how to use those incredibly difficult things called "indicators" now?

PECS Thu 15-Nov-18 14:40:01

The ' obstacle' was on my side but the other car was not in sight when I drove down the road. If it had been I would have waited where the space allows the oncoming traffic to go by.

anitamp1 Fri 16-Nov-18 09:58:30

As gulligranny stated, my understanding has always been that if the obstacle is on your side, then you should give way. But if he had a much shorter distance to reverse it would have been courteous to him to do so. But sadly the young are impatient. I see lots of instances of discourteous driving and I don't think it's fair to blame it all on the young. There are plenty older thoughtless drivers. Drives me mad when people dont use their indicators. On the plus side There are still some polite drivers around.

Grampie Fri 16-Nov-18 10:01:05

Parking within 15 feet of the junction at the end of my street gets my goat.

It's dangerous as cars emerging and approaching have nowhere safe to go.

One day an emergency vehicle will take out both wing mirrors or worse.

Brunette10 Fri 16-Nov-18 10:11:06

I am literally just back from doctor's appointmen and to get parked in their car park is a nightmare. There were lots of cars trying to find a space but a car parked outwith the parking area on the corner was also causing mayhem. Waiting for a few minutes a lady of around 60'ish came along got in the car and made a very rude gesture to all who were waiting to park. I was astonished. Firstly, I would NEVER park in an area where not allowed and secondly to do what she did well think is very rude. It was she who caused all the upset and just gave us 'I'm a non- conformist' attitude. Really annoying. To think people of a certain age should have more common sense.

Charleygirl5 Fri 16-Nov-18 10:15:46

I am convinced that indicators are no longer fitted to cars. Using mine has got me out of a few scrapes in the past I think. I am no driver but I use mine religiously, even if the road is empty, it was the way I was taught.

Shortlegs Fri 16-Nov-18 10:27:38

Fennel: Reversing is a fundamental part of driving. If you can't do it you should seriously consider surrendering your license.

Craftycat Fri 16-Nov-18 10:58:05

Someone took my husband's wing mirror off last night on a narrow country lane. He drove straight on without stopping but DH has a dashcam so has his number plate & the video of the collision.
I wasn't a fan but I think I might get one too now.

Greta Fri 16-Nov-18 11:02:10

PECS, The behaviour of the other driver was discourteous and ignorant. Even if the obstacle is on the other driver's side circumstances sometimes dictate that we should stop. There is no such thing as an absolute right of way.

GreenGran78 Fri 16-Nov-18 11:02:44

Shortlegs. You sound as though you, like me, are a 'shorty.'

Although I CAN reverse, being short means that it isn't too easy to see behind. I think that when I buy my next car I will make sure that it has those fantastic reversing beeper thingies.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 16-Nov-18 11:07:52

Pecs. I passed my driving test in 1970 on the second attempt as I had previously failed on, which I thought petty, due to 'undue hesitation'???.Apparantley my examiner believed a oncoming car on my right at the crossroads ,I had pulled up on, and the only car I could see ,was far enough away to allow me to turn left before he got to me so what was the rush??. We can never anticipate what is in the mind of another driver, My driving instructor, an ex army driving instructor said hmm? think the other driver is an idiot. So I gave that driver the benefit of the doubt.That he, the other driver, on observing me could have picked up speed to get in front of me rather than 'ok', and flash .you can go before me as some surprisingly do and allow me to pull out while he WAS at a distance ?? to allow me to do this. There is no such thing as courtesy these days in many walks of life Driving I am sorry to say top of my list.I do very little driving which is based on necessity as there is no bus route in my neck of the woods.

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Nov-18 11:08:04

We are noticing discourteous driving more and more these days, and I just thought that you would go on to say:
He was a young, well spoken guy about 20 ish.

It seems to be younger drivers who are the most arrogant and will not give way.
We tried to park last night in a busy pub car park. One young man was standing by the open driver's door of his car which was parked over two spaces. When we asked, politely, if he was leaving, he said 'No', then we asked if he would mind moving into just one space so that we could park. He said 'I'm picking up a disabled woman, so no'. Fair enough, but he then smirked, turning it into a glare! Further into the car park - and nearer the entrance to the pub - were several parking spaces for disabled people confused.

FlorenceFlower Fri 16-Nov-18 11:08:35

Hope you are feeling better after your incident, it’s very upsetting when something like that happens.

I was in my ordinary car about six years ago in a narrow street almost at the end of the street, and a London black taxi came round the corner. He could easily have stopped to let me past but he wouldn’t.

I waited for him to reverse about five yards, as opposed to my 100 yards. He then got out of his taxi and started throwing 2p coins at my windscreen! It was quite frightening, and surprisingly noisy. I had my disabled cousin as a passenger with me so didn’t want any more confrontation, so I reversed. I reported him to London Hackney Cabs but didn’t hear anything. Other drivers can be vile!

?

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Nov-18 11:09:11

And young (often blonde!) women driving huge 4x4s who tailgate or won't give way even when they don't have right of way.

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Nov-18 11:10:05

I'm sorry you were forced into that situation PECS and hope it is sorted out amicably.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 16-Nov-18 11:23:55

Yes this has happened to me and I was abut halfway up the narrow bit. He wasn't going to move so I turned my engine off and just leaned on the wheel. After a bit of shouting from him he moved back, I went forward and I waved as I passed him

Chucky Fri 16-Nov-18 11:50:59

Fennel
1 - if you can’t reverse you shouldn’t be driving.
2 - if he takes you up on it and decides to reverse, then smashes your car, your insurance won’t cover it, as he’s not on your policy and, at best, he’s only third party with his own insurance.
What you have decided to be a very smart remark could be a very expensive mistake.
Also, the fact that you stated you couldn’t reverse, would almost certainly mean you losing your licence in the event of any incident.
Not to mention that even if nothing happened, if anyone did this to me, I would take their details and my next stop would be at police station to report that driver of this car is not capable of driving, again almost certainly loss of licence.
So please, instead of thinking this is a very cleverly retort, practice your reversing.

Chucky Fri 16-Nov-18 11:55:50

Jalimal “often blonde”???? I find this sort of comment offensive and usually made by someone who isn’t particularly intelligent themselves. There.....I’ve just made the same type of judgement you made!!!! Not nice.

Fennel Fri 16-Nov-18 11:58:53

Oh dear - I didn't think it was a clever , just couldn't think of anything other idea if it happened again.
I can reverse within limits, I do it most days, but 100m on a narrow winding road is difficult. And I am thinking of giving up my license btw. You'll be pleased to hear.

Fennel Fri 16-Nov-18 12:13:05

ps this is the road, I think google even had problems:
www.google.com/maps/@43.476491,0.4185881,3a,75y,111.08h,99.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXZqMSO6s9VoZK_CIQUJLhg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

GabriellaG Fri 16-Nov-18 12:16:02

YouTube has unbelievable and scary instances of bad driving, mainly in India, Russia and Poland. They are on a mission to kill.