Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think that people donating to the RNLI to save people from drowning shouldn’t object to 2% of that money going to save children in poor countries from drowning?

(129 Posts)
crystaltipps Mon 16-Sep-19 13:52:38

Just that really . The Daily Mail is making a hoohaa about it and many of their readers are complaining and stopping their donations. It’s in their accounts for all to see. They are funding teaching children in Bangladesh to swim in a country where 40 children drown a day. I can’t understand why anyone who gives a £1 wouldn’t mind 2p of it going to such a cause.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Sep-19 13:54:56

Ben Fogle is campaigning for people not to stop their subscriptions to RNLI.

It is as you say a small percentage and it is saving children’s lives.

mosaicwarts Mon 16-Sep-19 14:04:04

What a wonderful thing for the RNLI to do, I haven't read the papers for a long time. Many of the RNLI volunteers will have found drowned children, it is a fantastic gesture to save lives, which is their mission statement.

In Northumberland thousands and thousands of pounds are wasted annually on the RNLI rescuing visitors to Holy Island who ignore the tide tables. This does irritate everyone locally, it happens far too regularly and only one incident has been where english is a second language. People seem to think they can beat the North Sea.

Anja Mon 16-Sep-19 14:04:52

Well it is the Daily Mail and they only want British children (preferably white ones) to be safe.

knickas63 Mon 16-Sep-19 14:05:15

I have absolutely no issue with it - and I despair of humanity if anyone does.

Anja Mon 16-Sep-19 14:05:59

......with readers who think Charity Begins (and ends) at Home.

silverlining48 Mon 16-Sep-19 14:06:10

The good old DM, always there to upset the applecart. My mum used to read it, believed it and whatever I said, got unnecessarily upset by whatever they were ‘ reporting’ at the time.
I don’t know much about this but woukd seem to be sensible for Everyone to learn to swim, especially women and children.

BlueBelle Mon 16-Sep-19 14:09:12

My good God I cannot believe the pettiness and nastiness of people in this country of mine I m wholly ashamed of this country on so many levels now
What does it matter who wants help what does it matter if a British child is drowning or a Bangladeshi the work done by these volunteers is amazing and wonderful and anyone who withdraws their donation because of this is small minded, mean and without an ounce of charity in their bones Daily Mail as usual should be totally ashamed of stirring up more gossip and hatred in the name of scandalous headlines
Shame on Daily Mail and shame on anyone who reacts To withdraw they donation

GillT57 Mon 16-Sep-19 14:10:42

Unbelievably crass of the DM, even by their standards.

Bordersgirl57 Mon 16-Sep-19 14:22:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jane10 Mon 16-Sep-19 14:39:38

Gosh what a strange thing to object to. Poor old Bangladesh suffers awful flooding and can't do much about it as its due to India to the north cutting down forests leading to increase in water in the river running between the two countries. FFS. Daily Mail!!

ClareAB Mon 16-Sep-19 14:43:05

Ah, the Daily Hate Mail...
So, if a foreign boat gets into trouble in our waters, the RNLI are supposed to ask for proof of UK residence before saving them?
Cos ridiculous as that sounds, that's where the logical conclusion of this vile article ends....

sodapop Mon 16-Sep-19 14:57:38

But at the same time RNLI are reducing their work force notably in Poole where they have an excellent training centre. They seem to be heading down the same road as the RSPCA.

Doodle Mon 16-Sep-19 15:03:29

I think the article was also pointing out that they were reducing staff by 135 in this country so that they could spend the money elsewhere. I think that is why many were objecting. I have no problem with them spending money in other countries but feel they do a valuable job here and they need to keep the staff in this country to save lives here as well as abroad.

petra Mon 16-Sep-19 15:04:06

Sodapop
This issue aside, your correct as in going the same way as the RSPCA.

BlueBelle Mon 16-Sep-19 16:06:14

Well the article isn’t going to help them get more funding is it?
It’s 2p in the pound for heavens sake

Whitewavemark2 Mon 16-Sep-19 16:10:13

The DM has form, we shouldn’t be surprised and anything they say.

Life outside the DM is much more pleasant.

EllanVannin Mon 16-Sep-19 16:12:02

So where are the billions in foreign aid going ??

EllanVannin Mon 16-Sep-19 16:12:37

Just askin' !

trisher Mon 16-Sep-19 16:24:21

Apparently donations are now increasing so much the website crashed
www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/16/rnli-donations-surge-tory-criticism-work-overseas-lifeboat-charity
Thank goodness there are still caring people in this country

Namsnanny Mon 16-Sep-19 16:31:30

How is the gift of £1 set up?
If people can see where the money is going they have a choice surely?
If not is that why some people are agitated?
Would any approve of a portion of their gift going to say a wealthy charity CEO without their knowledge?
Just putting a point a different way!

NanTheWiser Mon 16-Sep-19 16:33:17

The RNLI is one of the very few charities I donate to, and I certainly wouldn't object to such a tiny sum going to Bangladesh.

crystaltipps Mon 16-Sep-19 17:35:29

Yes just read their website has crashed because of increased donations.

trisher Mon 16-Sep-19 17:39:42

Namsnanny There is a slight diffeence between poor children in Bangladesh and a wealthy CEO The charity is open about what it supports and they have figures to show how valuable the contribution is. For example they fund creche places apparently a child attending a creche is 82% less likely to drown. Amazing! I assume they are kept safely away from the danger areas if their mum is working.

annodomini Mon 16-Sep-19 18:01:35

crystaltips, what heartening news!