Gransnet forums

AIBU

Harry and Meghan

(154 Posts)
Gingergirl Mon 21-Oct-19 13:24:59

AIBU to feel annoyed at the media interpretations of their comments in the tv programme last night? Wasn’t Harry just saying effectively that he struggles with the grief of his mothers death, rather than ‘admitting to being mentally ill’ as I've heard on the news today. I thought he had been open about his feelings to help others who had been bereaved perhaps.....and commented that he had come to realise that his feelings needed to be ‘managed’...and that with every job, you need to put on a brave face sometimes. Seems reasonable to me. Likewise with Meghan, the press have treated her badly so why shouldn’t she say how that makes her feel?It just makes her human surely, not necessarily someone about to completely unravel. I really don’t get it and especially now that they’re being portrayed as a couple on the ‘brink’ of deep unhappiness and distress. What do others think?

Anniebach Mon 21-Oct-19 13:26:53

There is a thread on this

Calendargirl Mon 21-Oct-19 13:28:09

Gingergirl

You probably ought to check out another thread on News and Politics- bloody whinging royals- to see what opinions are out there.

Daisymae Mon 21-Oct-19 13:40:28

Yes, agree totally. The media put a negative spin on anything that this couple do at the moment. As usual tearing down what they put up.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 21-Oct-19 13:51:20

Totally agree Gingergirl

Susan56 Mon 21-Oct-19 13:56:51

Totally agree Gingergirl

pinkquartz Mon 21-Oct-19 13:57:19

When Harry and Meghan decided to sue the press they opened themselves up for the Press retaliation.

Canalboatgranma Mon 21-Oct-19 14:00:42

I really don't care.

MawB Mon 21-Oct-19 14:01:39

A former Royal correspondent on Radio 4 today advised them not to pick a fight with the Press.
“If you wrestle with a chimney sweep, you will get dirty”

dragonfly46 Mon 21-Oct-19 14:04:43

Maw that is so true - when my DD was a journalist she used to tell me stories about famous people who got away almost with murder because they were always kind to the press. Those who weren't got hammered. It is, however, a very sad state of affairs.

Gingergirl Mon 21-Oct-19 15:26:43

Ah, I didn’t see that when I looked....and I haven’t read through all 13 pages of comments. Obviously people feel strongly! I just feel it’s a shame that despite all (their) work on mental health issues, as soon as they open up a little, people become critical. We all struggle with grief......we all get stressed and have a hard time if we feel we’ve been represented unfairly....royal family or otherwise. Where is the compassion ....(I know...I’ll be shot down for my views, well so be it).

Grannyknot Mon 21-Oct-19 15:49:11

This is a different thread to comment on as we are not being asked to comment on "Bloody Whinging Royals".

The tabloid Press is absolutely dreadful. I read on a local forum that the DM reported in a headline that Meghan said Nobody has asked me how I feel". A complete fabrication. She clearly says Not many people have asked ...

Are they completely a law unto themselves? angry

Grannyknot Mon 21-Oct-19 15:49:43

The Press I mean!

Gonegirl Mon 21-Oct-19 15:54:39

If the press retaliate it's up to the people to show the press the door.

Likely (not). hmm

GrannySomerset Mon 21-Oct-19 15:59:19

Losing his mother at such an age would throw anyone off course. 60 years down the line I can still be poleaxed by something which reminds me of my own mother’s sudden death, so I am certainly not at all surprised that camera shutters and flashes cause Prince Harry distress. The pain lies under the surface and is brought back to life by the most unexpected things. The birth of his own child is yet another trigger too. Cut the man some slack!

Yehbutnobut Mon 21-Oct-19 16:00:31

Who are the sad people who buy this and read it anyway? They need to get a life of their own.

silverlining48 Mon 21-Oct-19 16:44:21

I have just read through the last couple of pages on the other generally very critical thread. I am not a royalist at all but do agree with you ginger girl.
I don’t know where everyone gets their information from about the RF and Harry and Meghan in particular because I havnt seen or read anything about them, apart from their recent visit to Africa, since they married.
It is quite sad there seems so much unpleasantness and unnecessary criticism about this particular couple. Who can forget 12 year old Harry following his mother’s coffin through the streets of London and the sight of his childish handwritten ‘mummy’. Heartbreaking, and something that will always be with him. A little kindness never comes amiss.

callgirl1 Mon 21-Oct-19 17:09:59

I agree with Gingergirl

suziewoozie Mon 21-Oct-19 17:42:49

If I shared a point of view with Toby Young and Katie Hopkins, I’d be seriously worried. The hate and bile these two, amongst others are tweeting is sickening. But actually not as sickening as some comments on a forum made up mainly of wives, mothers and grandmothers.

grapefruitpip Mon 21-Oct-19 17:47:41

I'm not terribly interested or invested in these 2 but I watched some of the TV programme today.

They don't deserve the hate.

Happiyogi Mon 21-Oct-19 17:53:46

As a society we seem to be part way along a newish path. It's now okay to talk publicly about issues that were traditionally considered personal or maybe close family matters. However - what is then supposed to happen? How are colleagues, neighbours or the public supposed to respond to the information? Being less buttoned up seems like progress, but how can those we share our problems with actually help?

I definitely don't want a return to the dark old days of the stiffest of upper lips, but maybe we also need to equip people to be stronger to cope with personal problems more effectively.

suziewoozie Mon 21-Oct-19 18:10:01

Add the odious Piers Morgan to the list of haters.

pinkquartz Mon 21-Oct-19 19:18:46

canalboatgranma

and yet you have taken time to post grin

suziewoozie Mon 21-Oct-19 19:23:03

Posting that you don’t care is a perfectly valid response surely. What is it the moment with GN demanding dedicated threads, accusing people of bullying, intimidation, abuse, sniping if someone posts they don’t care, conspiracy theories about hijacking ?

pinkquartz Mon 21-Oct-19 19:34:54

Also this whole business is so twisted. It began with people noticing how much money they spend/have...the jet planes and celeb hangers on and the hypocricy.
He is using his grief to block attention to their hypocricy

Which they started by telling the public how they should live

I see two people who wanted to make an impression and be thought of like wise people and when it doesn't go the way they wanted they pull out the I need sympathy card for H.

I remember M had a lot of support when her sister came over. what changed?

Nothing to do with no sympathy for a bereaved man/boy.

I am out of here.