Gransnet forums

AIBU

Why won't people MOVE out of other people's way?

(120 Posts)
Beswitched Mon 30-Mar-20 12:50:44

I've heard of so many people who have given up going out for their daily walk here in Ireland because they spend the entire time hopping off the pavement and out onto the road to get out of the way of people who seem to want to hog the entire pavement.
Family groups are the worst. It never seems to occur to them to bunch up or go in single file when they meet on comers. They just barge on and expect everyone to work around them.
Surely people should be aware of others and stop giving people a choice of brushing up against them, or stepping out into the road.

I know the chances of catching covid 19 like this are small, but at the moment advice is to observe the 2 mtr rule and people are not comfortable with others coming too close.

Greyduster Mon 30-Mar-20 12:55:34

Not only do they ignore the two metre rule, but when they meet someone they know coming the other way, they all stand in the middle of the path having a b****y conversation!!?‍♀️

Elegran Mon 30-Mar-20 13:00:36

Why not stop walking, turn and face sideways either on the edge of the curb looking out into the road or at the inside of the pavement looking into a shop window or someone's garden, and just stand your ground? Let them walk round you. If you face well away you won't be sharing their air-space and breathing in the virus.

I was already doing that before this virus struck, as I was fed up with people expectimg me always to leap out of their way as they marched down the centre of the pavement like a wind-up toy. Groups of teenagers were the worst, but pairs of friends chatting were almost as bad. I found that they just broke formation to flow round me as I stood there, and joined up again once they were past, without breaking off their conversation, saying than you or even acknowledging that I was there! I don't think my presence even registered.

Elegran Mon 30-Mar-20 13:02:29

Saying "thank you" not "than you".

TerriBull Mon 30-Mar-20 13:34:12

I hate to be ageist but to echo Elegran, groups of teenagers, we are forever stepping into the road to avoid them. Last week we popped into our local co-op to pick up some essentials and noticed a couple wandered in to buy non essential rubbish, coke and crisps and came close to a couple of other shoppers, I just don't think at their age they're that worried.

Couple of dog walkers in Bushy Park the other day whilst we were having a walk on a limited amount of space path, they had the 2 metres between them so obviously not from the same household made it quite apparent they weren't going to drop one behind the other, so we had to dive into some long grass to avoid them. No acknowledgement that we were giving way to them, younger than us too!

ExD Mon 30-Mar-20 13:39:33

Yes, people hogging the pavement like that are really just being selfish - and normally I'd have recommended Elegrans advice - but in these days of plague-like-living I guess its everyman for him/her/self so I'd walk into the road for the time being.
When I first saw this I imagined it was one of my pet hates from pre-corona-virus days ..... that is people parking themselves and their trolleys in the middle of the aisle while they consult a shopping list, meaning no-one else can get by.
Also on my list are the people who park their trolley in the middle of the aisle while they wander around searching for items to buy.
Its sheer selfishness, but then - we've seen a lot of that about recently, especially in the food now being binned as out of date. That was truly shameful - could it not have been cooked and frozen? Or just frozen?

TerriBull Mon 30-Mar-20 13:53:54

People who park the trolley right across where the bananas are, I love the yellow foodstuff more than life itself angry Have been known to gently move the trolley to get at them, occasionally it's as if you've gone down their handbag...……..I mean "you don't own the trolley and you don't have to throw a
protective barrier round the fruit and veg" shock

SirChenjin Mon 30-Mar-20 14:04:55

If someone sneezes in your direction and you’re less than 2m from them then I’m afraid turning your back on them won’t protect you from being covered in the virus.

I’m with you Beswitched - it’s par for the course with some people unfortunately who have literally no concept of what 2m looks like. . I saw a good thing on Facebook earlier - can’t remember the exact phrase but it was something like ‘we’re facing 2 Pandemics at the moment -COVID19 and Stupidity’. It’s so true.

Beswitched Mon 30-Mar-20 14:22:59

Very true Sir Chenjin

A woman was actually standing texting in the supermarket, aware I was standing at a safe distance waiting for her to move so I could get what I wanted without having to reach across her.
It didn't seem to occur to her to just move away to continue with her text.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 30-Mar-20 14:28:21

I find that most people are pretty good but there's always one who hasn't got the message, isn't there?

lemongrove Mon 30-Mar-20 14:28:25

I asked someone ( a woman) if they would please move away this morning in a small Co-op near me, she did, but reluctantly ( I was trying to reach the exit, and she was texting
Merrily) with about three inches to spare if I had to squeeze past. angry

felice Mon 30-Mar-20 14:53:17

A friend and I had this conversation online last week, I walk with a cane and stick it out on the side if people are walking 2by2 on so they have to separate .
The way some couples look at me you would think they were going to be attacked.
Ummm with my current hairdo that could well be the impression !!!!!!!!!! Mad cat lady in the making.

Fiachna50 Mon 30-Mar-20 15:36:04

I found this problem before Coronavirus, at times out walking you could have driven a Sherman tank in the space beside me, but no, people have to practically walk up the side of you. I really don't get it.

Nonnie Mon 30-Mar-20 15:49:28

Carry a big sign saying something like KEEP AWAY I MIGHT HAVE CV 19 grin

M0nica Mon 30-Mar-20 15:50:29

I haven't had a problem - until today. We live in a rural area and everyone has become really friendly since the restrictions came in, we keep the distance, usually about 5 or 6 metres but greet each other or even have conversations at that distance.

Last night, talking to DD she commented that where she lives everyone was much as they are here, with one exception, single men. She commented they stride down the centre of the pavement and expect everyone to get out of their way.

This morning I was on a narrow path where I had passed several people and we had each stepped onto opposite grass verges to maximise the distance. Then I saw a single man striding down the path, and DD was right, did he move to a side verge? No, of course he didn't. Just kept striding down the centre, while I nearly fell down a steep grass bank trying to avoid him.

I do not find families a problem, if they are scattered I just call out 'Would you mind clustering for a few seconds so that I can pass safely.' they always have.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 30-Mar-20 16:24:20

Just got back from my bike ride and I found people were really good at moving or waiting at a safe distance to pass. No problems here in the Waitrose either.

Callistemon Mon 30-Mar-20 16:25:35

Terribull unfortunately, to some young people, coke and crisps are essential shopping.
At least they were leaving the fruit, veg and toilet rolls for other people.

I sometimes think that I am invisible.

jane1956 Mon 30-Mar-20 16:26:45

it is the joggers with elbow help high, "they are coming through" don't care who is in the way. I said the other day we have crossed the road more times than the proverbial chicken!!!!

bikergran Mon 30-Mar-20 16:28:57

ohh its fun and games in our supermarket! we now had a one way system round the store...

I think a lot of people do not know what an arrow pointing in a certain direction means...(usually totally opposite it seems) hmm

I would say 50% make no intention of moving out of the way and some are quite oblivious that we are implementing news rules,many of them are young people chatting on their phones and bumping into you.

3nanny6 Mon 30-Mar-20 16:38:16

Unfortunately a local petrol station with a shop inside has a narrow isle to reach the cashier, I waited until I saw people leave and went to pay and next thing I know two people are directly behind me almost breathing down my neck. I complained to the deputy manager and he said it's not my problem people make their own rules. I was not pleased and told him so but he was not at all interested.
So much for social distancing and everything the gov. are putting out on the T.V. some people just live in a bubble.

shysal Mon 30-Mar-20 16:57:33

Perhaps we should each have one of these. I see he has a grabber for reaching.
digg.com/video/coronavirus-social-distancing-space

ninathenana Mon 30-Mar-20 17:08:07

A friend said she was at her allotment yesterday and another person came over to chat and stood close. My friend politely asked her to step back and the other woman took umbrage.
As my mother was fond of saying "Some people haven't got the sense they were born with"

SirChenjin Mon 30-Mar-20 17:11:26

Love it shysal! That’s really effective - and shows how far two metres actually is.

Elegran Mon 30-Mar-20 17:12:46

Best way to get them to move away is to put your elbow up to your mouth, then have a good cough. Mutter to yourself "Must get some paracetamol." They may curse you, but they'll keep away! They may not worry about giving the virus to you, but if they think you are giving it to them, that is different.

sodapop Mon 30-Mar-20 17:25:53

I think that's a bad idea Elegran some people have lost all reason and common sense over this, you may well open yourself up to abuse if you do that.
There have been instances of health care staff being assaulted as they go about their business as people accuse them of spreading the virus. This brings out the best and the worst in us.