Gransnet forums

AIBU

Unnecessary TV programmes

(27 Posts)
trisher Mon 06-Apr-20 10:08:37

AIBU to think that Phil and Holly should just go home and stay home now. This Morning is a programme we could do without. And perhaps them staying home would send a clear message to the general public. There are probably a few other programmes as well that could go.

CherryCezzy Mon 06-Apr-20 10:15:47

Definitely not unreasonable! The One Show is still going too isn't it? I avoid that and programmes like This Morning like the plague at the best of times. They are invariably full of dross.

Calendargirl Mon 06-Apr-20 10:45:00

Never watch either. Don’t put the TV on in the day. And cannot stand Alex’s voice on the One Show, not that I watch it.

I’m sure she wouldn’t like my voice either, but I’m not on the telly fortunately.

Callistemon Mon 06-Apr-20 10:59:09

Is that because Alex is Welsh?

EllanVannin Mon 06-Apr-20 11:00:26

Never watch This morning.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 06-Apr-20 11:02:55

In my opinion This Morning brings some laughter and lightness to
those self isolating at home.

There is a useful button on everyone’s remote control off

Callistemon Mon 06-Apr-20 11:05:32

Yes, the OFF button is useful. We can also change channels on ours remote, very useful!!
I have rarely seen Holly and Phil, nor Lorraine.

The TV is rarely on in the day in this house.

trisher Mon 06-Apr-20 12:12:00

It's not to do with turning it off Callistemon but to do with is it really essential that Phil and Holly travel every day bringing into the studio more workers and generally spreading the idea that it's OK to be out and about if you feel you are important enough, when they aren't and it isn't. Nish Kumar did his programme from home the other night. It's not impossible,

GrannyGravy13 Mon 06-Apr-20 12:21:02

It was announced two weeks ago that they have a skeleton crew, no makeup/wardrobe personnel. The crew is used on GMB, Lorraine and then This Morning.

trisher Mon 06-Apr-20 12:23:18

A skeleton crew must consist of at least 4 people that's not counting security and cleaners. They could do it from home if they really wanted to. It's not an essential.

sodapop Mon 06-Apr-20 12:27:20

I agree Trisher I know we need some relief from our current situation but surely technology can be used to prevent these idiots presenters travelling when its not necessary. How many people do they have in their entourage as well.

sodapop Mon 06-Apr-20 12:28:33

Sorry missed Grannygravy's post of 12.21.

Calendargirl Mon 06-Apr-20 12:41:42

Callistemon

No, not because she’s Welsh. It’s just that somehow I find her voice grates on me, not shrill, but just don’t find it pleasant to listen to.

I know, I sound grumpy!

Dinahmo Tue 07-Apr-20 16:49:43

Funny how some people don't watch certain shows but know the people who present them!

Callistemon Tue 07-Apr-20 16:58:54

Oh, I see trisher

I suppose even re-runs have to have people in the studios, so if they're operating with very few studio staff, it doesn't make much difference.

Callistemon Tue 07-Apr-20 17:00:17

I quite like Alex's voice!

There are some rather shrill presenters on TV though. And one whom I like but he will gabble.

Maggiemaybe Tue 07-Apr-20 17:03:23

Maybe they get much of their TV knowledge from Gogglebox, as I do. smile

What’s really annoying me now is the reporter (with at least one cameraman) showing us what it’s like in ICU, or interviewing people recovering in hospital. No doubt getting underfoot and kitted out in full clinical PPE that could be better used.

Maggiemaybe Tue 07-Apr-20 17:04:46

Sorry, the first sentence was in answer to Dinahmo’s post.

Dinahmo Tue 07-Apr-20 18:37:16

MaggieMay I'll excuse them then. I too watch Gogglebox.

Callistemon Tue 07-Apr-20 19:28:41

It's quite interesting to see them on a link from home looking quite normal, ie without the benefit of makeup artistes and hairdressers!

Almost like us.

grumppa Wed 08-Apr-20 13:51:51

Perhaps prime time TV coverage of ICUs will impress on certain people just how unpleasant it is, and persuade them to take lockdown and social distancing seriously.

Hetty58 Wed 08-Apr-20 14:30:34

grumppa, yes, some people do need to have reality in their face before they take action. I much prefer the radio during the day, anyway, and often watch films on Netflix instead of TV - so I wouldn't miss any of those shows.

Pikachu Wed 08-Apr-20 15:15:07

I enjoyed HIGNFY this week. Very brave attempt to keep a topical show going and against all the odds I thought they pulled it off.

Bridgeit Wed 08-Apr-20 15:19:35

Definitely, even without the present situation.

Ealdemodor Wed 08-Apr-20 16:24:16

If you don’t like a particular programme, don’t watch it.
We all like different things, and I think we all need some light relief from the constant doom and gloom at the moment.
I’m looking forward to Britain’s got Talent, but no doubt some of you hate it.
As a history geek, I watch a lot of nerdy programmes as well. Variety is the spice of life, after all
Happy viewing!