Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think " belly" is a horrid, ugly word!

(135 Posts)
phoenix Sun 31-May-20 20:44:39

Just seen the new advertisement for Pampers nappies, used the word "belly"!

Yuk, yuk, yuk!

What's wrong with (in the context of babies nappies) "tummy" or stomach?

The only time I would use the word "belly" would be when referring to a cut of pork, as tummy of pork is just silly!

Hearing someone say to a grizzling child "have you got a belly ache?" Just makes me cringe!

wonder if it's just me?

Callistemon Sun 31-May-20 20:51:16

No, I have always disliked it.
Apart from used in the context of belly dancing.

I suppose the correct word is abdomen but I wouldn't ask a child if they had an ache in the abdomen.

Squiffy Sun 31-May-20 20:57:20

I’m with you phoenix! Tummy is a much softer, cuddly sort of word, especially for babies!

Hetty58 Sun 31-May-20 21:00:09

What about belly dancing? Do you dislike that too? I don't mind the word at all (except for the pork - being vegan).

phoenix Sun 31-May-20 21:00:14

Good point, Callistemon so acceptable in connection with dancing and pork! grin

Abdomen I suppose refers to a region in the body, but I think if referring to the internal bit, stomach is perhaps an anatomically correct word, tummy a bit more "fluffy" when taking about it to littlies, but "belly" NO!

etheltbags1 Sun 31-May-20 21:02:58

What a lot of tosh, belly is the correct word to describe the lower part of the abdomen . Yes i agree no one would ask a child if they have an abdomen pain. Belly can be used to describe a round stove, pot bellied stove. A person who is starving has a pot belly. Belly pork, belly dancing and many others.
So Phoenix are we going abdominal dancing tonight lol
Tummy is just too twee for words.

Grannybags Sun 31-May-20 21:03:19

I agree. Makes me cringe when I hear it. Couldn't eat pork belly. OK for dancing though (although I couldn't do it!!)

Oopsminty Sun 31-May-20 21:05:27

I'm with those who dislike the word!

Just horrid.

Almost as bad as moist

Grannybags Sun 31-May-20 21:06:16

Yuk - moist belly....!

Barmeyoldbat Sun 31-May-20 21:14:23

I am not keen on the word tummy, but am quite happy with the word belly. You have a belly button not a tummy button so whats wrong with the word belly,

BBbevan Sun 31-May-20 21:19:12

I quite agree Phoenix I was never allowed to say belly as a child . Tummy was acceptable, but belly was common. As was bum. My mother had loads of these can't say or dos. They stick with you as you grow up

phoenix Sun 31-May-20 21:19:26

etheltbags1

As already stated, belly dancing is fine (if one can do it) and of course one wouldn't ask a child if they had abdomen pain, but surely to ask if they had stomach ache would be ok? (Preferable to belly ache, imo)

And I have to disagree, the word "tummy", especially when used when speaking to children, is NOT "too twee for words"!

Your idea of correct words (particularly when used with children) makes me wonder what else you might deem "correct"!

phoenix Sun 31-May-20 21:21:11

Barmmeyoldbat sorry to disillusion you, but you can have a tummy button!

Sussexborn Sun 31-May-20 21:28:02

My mother considered belly on a par with swearing. Must admit I cringe when I hear it.

sodapop Sun 31-May-20 21:31:09

I don't like belly much either which is strange as I agree with ethelbags about stoves, dancing etc. Why is the word acceptable in some contexts and not others, or is that just me ?.
Think I'm rambling now better shut up.

nanaK54 Sun 31-May-20 21:32:26

I really don't like it either, much prefer tummy
Can I offer "I'm going to change your bum" er no you are going to change his or hers nappy

etheltbags1 Sun 31-May-20 21:35:53

Phoenix. We always refer to our little ones belly. She has belly pains ans she tells us. We refer to her bum which is quite harmless, although not to some on gnet. We refer to her fairy but she knows its called a vagina. Fairy is maybe a bit twee but all family's have different kids names for body parts, we refer to boobs and boys privates. I don't think my family are any worse than many others .

Oopsminty Sun 31-May-20 21:41:13

We all have tummy buttons in the Minty family!

phoenix Sun 31-May-20 21:47:00

Actually, etheltbags1 you are wrong, her "fairy" (now that is twee!) is not her vagina, but her vulva, the vagina is internal.

I've often wondered, if boys have a silly (as some call it) why don't girls have a wilma?

Anniebach Sun 31-May-20 21:49:22

I so dislike the word.

phoenix Sun 31-May-20 21:50:22

Yay for Oopsminty!

Tummy buttons here too! grin

grannyrebel7 Sun 31-May-20 21:50:40

I HATE that word! I can't even bring myself to type it!

phoenix Sun 31-May-20 21:51:35

Bugger! "Willy" not "silly"

Damn auto correct!

phoenix Sun 31-May-20 21:53:46

grannyrebel & Anniebach

Would that be the "b" word, rhymes with jelly?

gillybob Sun 31-May-20 21:55:38

Well for our sins we always say ....

Belly button
Tickle the tummy
Change your bum bum
Have a poo or a wee
The girls have always called their front bits their foo foo (but dunno where that came from?)
And the boy calls his a willy

Of course we are as common as horse muck in the North East .