Gransnet forums

AIBU

To find it odd that gransnet doesn't have a Feminism section?

(68 Posts)
flopen Sun 12-Jul-20 08:40:34

On mumsnet, a parallel site, the Feminism board is very active and I can't believe that older women aren't interested in this as well. So why no area for it?

Loislovesstewie Sun 12-Jul-20 08:46:31

I'm with you ! I can't believe that having got to a certain age we are no longer interested.

Iam64 Sun 12-Jul-20 08:47:24

Yes - this site lacks a Feminism section. What do we do to ask base control to set one up.

Nortsat Sun 12-Jul-20 08:50:37

Good point, well made flopen.

The feminism section on MN was often quite contentious, so I used to avoid it when I read MN - quite a long time ago.

Have you put your point to GNHQ? I would second you ... ?

Elegran Sun 12-Jul-20 08:51:12

Could be because there is plenty of feminism infused into the threads as part of everyday life, and no need to separate it out as an individual subject.

Gransnet members are as interested in the treatment and mistreatment of women as anyone else.

Chewbacca Sun 12-Jul-20 08:52:49

We certainly need a feminism forum; there are plenty of advocates against all other types of inequality and bias but the misogyny on this site is depressingly common.

Chewbacca Sun 12-Jul-20 08:58:13

Gransnet members are as interested in the treatment and mistreatment of women as anyone else.

Some are Elegran but sadly not all. Having read the comments on the Caren thread, and others, it seems to be that some people are only able to care about one type of inequality or injustice at a time and misogyny isn't one of them.

janeainsworth Sun 12-Jul-20 09:01:10

Wasn’t feminism one of the forums, or included in one, when GN first started? And then things got reorganised?

We do have the Everyday Ageism forum.

But given the amount of ageism & misogyny on the forums from Gransnet posters themselves, for example describing each other as ‘old biddies’, perhaps a feminism forum would be pointless anyway .

janeainsworth Sun 12-Jul-20 09:02:28

Crossed posts cb

flopen Sun 12-Jul-20 09:03:36

I'll suggest it then.
With respect, I think Ageism is not the same as Feminism

Urmstongran Sun 12-Jul-20 09:09:08

At least if there’s a separate thread I can avoid it.
?

janeainsworth Sun 12-Jul-20 09:21:11

I think the two often conflate, Flopen.

flopen Sun 12-Jul-20 09:39:15

I agree, but still think GN needs a forum on Feminism

Chewbacca Sun 12-Jul-20 09:46:40

I agree janeainsworth; the older a woman gets, the worse the micro aggressions and dismissive behaviour towards us becomes. It's as inherent and reflexive in some as racism is in others.

Galaxy Sun 12-Jul-20 09:50:24

Yes I agree, do we just approach GN about?

Galaxy Sun 12-Jul-20 09:52:58

Whilst I agree misogyny is a problem I have also seen some really thoughtful posts about womens rights so I think there would be really interesting contributions.

Poppyred Sun 12-Jul-20 09:57:31

Me too Urmstongran just another thing to get riled up about. ?

Sparklefizz Sun 12-Jul-20 10:10:41

I'm a feminist, but over the past couple of months I'm avoiding any contentious threads. I've been living in solitary confinement for 19 weeks (I started early) whilst juggling 9 different debilitating illnesses, and am trying to stay positive and protect my mental health.

In order to look after myself, I won't be battling with some of the people on here who play devil's advocate to stir everyone up.

merlotgran Sun 12-Jul-20 10:19:47

I agree that there should be a Feminism thread but can we also have News separated from Politics like it was when I first joined?

It's unfair to be accused of posting trivial stuff by the Gransnet politicos who think it should be in 'Chat.'

Not all news is about politics.

'

Urmstongran Sun 12-Jul-20 11:08:48

Great point merlotgran
?

BlueSky Sun 12-Jul-20 13:47:21

Urmstongran

At least if there’s a separate thread I can avoid it.
?

Same here Urmostongran!

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jul-20 14:18:13

Why does it need to be separate isn’t it more powerful to bring it into everyday conversations and far more relevant

Iam64 Sun 12-Jul-20 14:22:37

I don't understand how it can be "more relevant" brought into everyday conversation. Yes relevant and important and I'm sure that would still happen. It doesn't negate the benefits of designated Feminist board though

Greeneyedgirl Sun 12-Jul-20 15:58:05

Do we lose our spirit as we age, and just settle down with our knitting?

I have been impressed by the kind caring, and supportive posts on here, but admit to being rather disappointed since joining GN.

I find much of it a bit bland, and would certainly welcome forums such as one on Feminism.

Chewbacca Sun 12-Jul-20 16:00:24

A lot of us are as feisty as we ever were Greeneyedgirl! Have you had a look at the news and politics threads?