Gransnet forums

AIBU

MASKS

(141 Posts)
Serendipity22 Sun 26-Jul-20 11:03:52

Good morning everyone.

My question today is what are peoples opinions of wearing a mask ?

I will explain my opinion. I k ow they are necessary, I understand their purpose and despite not feeling comfortable in the slightest wearing one, I am on the understanding that I would rather wear one than catch the virus, but the whole situation has left me avoiding going shops or generally out and about and I have to agree with a report I read this a.m that others such as myself, will be drawn to online shopping opposed to trailing round shops, and then WHERE does that leave the high street ?

In the meantime, when its necessary to go out ( food shopping, petrol station) I will wear my mask, but other than the necessary public places, I will refrain.

[Smile]

Galaxy Sun 26-Jul-20 11:08:23

I wear them in the same way I wear a seat belt or have a vaccination etc. I am afraid the high street was in considerable trouble before this, it has just quickened a process that was already happening

MawB Sun 26-Jul-20 11:08:59

Nooooooooo!
There are at least NINE threads on masks and goodness knows how many posts!

With all due respect, do we really need another one?

winterwhite Sun 26-Jul-20 11:10:39

Me too, Serendipity.

EllanVannin Sun 26-Jul-20 11:18:04

Same here Serendipity. I hate them !!

Kate1949 Sun 26-Jul-20 11:21:26

I haven't been to a shop since the beginning of March. I hadn't worn a mask until last week when my hair salon insisted I wear one. I was dreading it but it was fine.

Teetime Sun 26-Jul-20 11:29:07

I agree I think it will kill what's left of the high street trade. I think people will go to a shop for what is absolutely necessary and will not browse and its browsing and impulse shopping that brings in the money. As someone who loved a browse shop I wont be doing it except on line.

Bex1958 Sun 26-Jul-20 11:48:52

I understand the reason for wearing masks but find it difficult to breathe, I'd rather wear a shield, what do others think? I feel that little kids find them rather scary, not being able to see your full face.
Also, what is the reasoning behind 'masks for shops' , but you can eat and drink in places without? I agree, it puts you off going into shops.

Jaxjacky Sun 26-Jul-20 12:26:28

@Bex1958 Shields do not protect as well as masks, droplets leave/enter at the bottom. When drinking or eating you are seated, social distancing applied, when moving in shops, it’s more difficult to control.

Millie22 Sun 26-Jul-20 12:44:39

I also agree as I will now only do essential shopping. The pleasure of browsing in a shop has gone so online shopping it will be.

Beechnut Sun 26-Jul-20 14:20:44

I will miss the browsing Millie. We were only saying yesterday that we can’t be bothered to do anything much because of masks and queues. Gone are they days when we would say, ‘I’ll just pop in there and see if they’ve got one’.

Lucca Sun 26-Jul-20 14:26:25

Maw. I agree !!! No more threads a About masks please ! It’s all been said

MawB Sun 26-Jul-20 14:39:54

Also, what is the reasoning behind 'masks for shops' , but you can eat and drink in places without?

Have you tried eating and drinking with a mask in place?
Gets messy! gringrin.

MissAdventure Sun 26-Jul-20 14:52:54

grin

sharon103 Sun 26-Jul-20 15:08:42

I agree with you Serendipity22

My son took me to B&M on Friday. I usually love a browse round. Especially their garden centre. I just got what I wanted and was glad to get out. I felt as if I couldn't breathe and all hot. I had to stop a few times and lift it from my nose.
I mostly shop online anyway and will continue. No way will I be going out Christmas shopping all day if we still have to wear masks by then.. Sorry to mention the C word in July grin

Iam64 Sun 26-Jul-20 15:53:33

I've made a speedy trip to John Lewis. My first shop since early March. The introduction of Mask wearing made me feel I could risk looking for a sweat shirt. Found one, bought it, came home - needed to lie down in a darkened room I felt so exhausted by the excitement.

Serendipity22 Sun 26-Jul-20 15:59:42

Apologies for starting the UMPTEEN thread about masks but before I posted I did type in the search box to look for the topic on masks, assuming that surely one has been started, nothing came up, which I was surprised at and so that is why there is yet another topic on masks ...
smile

Calendargirl Sun 26-Jul-20 17:07:45

Obviously wearing one when I go into a shop or similar, but certainly does not enhance the experience. Don’t enjoy shopping at the best of times, and this does not encourage me to shop any more than absolutely necessary.

ginny Sun 26-Jul-20 17:08:49

Maybe those who don’t want to read any more threads on masks could just not read them . ?

MawB Sun 26-Jul-20 17:10:35

Maybe it might be an idea not to go starting new threads when there are 20 already - is there anything new to warrant a new thread?

MawB Sun 26-Jul-20 17:13:14

Serendipity22

Apologies for starting the UMPTEEN thread about masks but before I posted I did type in the search box to look for the topic on masks, assuming that surely one has been started, nothing came up, which I was surprised at and so that is why there is yet another topic on masks ...
smile

@ Serendipity

Farmor15 Sun 26-Jul-20 17:28:00

Search facility on Gransnet is very poor!

rafichagran Sun 26-Jul-20 17:37:09

Yes * farmor* I agree.

MawB Sun 26-Jul-20 17:45:48

Worked well enough 30 minutes ago hmm

Spangler Sun 26-Jul-20 18:07:27

Farmor15

Search facility on Gransnet is very poor!

If you type into Google any subject that interests you, then add Gransnet, everything on that topic that has ever been discussed will pop up, even threads from way back.

As for mask wearing, only when & where it's compulsory. But I do buck the trend when it comes to online shopping, never bought a thing online, that's not to say I haven't seen something online that I would like, or need.

We went to an Hawaiian themed wedding a couple of years ago, I wanted a hat and saw one on a Belgium website. Being able to speak French I phoned the milliner, wouldn't you know it was that part of Belgium that was Flemish speaking. However, the lady spoke excellent English, she explained that the hat, plus carriage was two hundred Euros. She could take Paypal. Take what? Pay-what?

Two days later I received a phone call from Belgium: "You have sent me two hundred Euros, in cash!" "What's wrong with that?" "But it's in cash, notes, money." "Does that mean I can't have my hat?" "No, it's on it's way, but I can't believe it, you are the first person that has ever paid me in cash from an online enquiry." "So?" "So good bye and thank you."