Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to wonder why it's so hard to report a new scam?

(7 Posts)
Shinyredcar Wed 23-Sep-20 16:34:32

I have just received an email demanding money for 'parking without paying in a regulated area' providing a link to send money now or get fined £100 later.

It looked very official, from HM Courts & Tribunals Service.

I could see it was nonsense because of the way it was written, so didn't open it and certainly didn't send any money.

I checked that it is a known scam (just search 'scam') and it is. I read various suggested actions to take, the principal being to report to Action Fraud. So I thought it might be useful for them to know about this contact.

Even as a 'Guest' who is a witness rather than a victim, the information they wanted and the time it would take to complete the report was extensive. So I didn't bother.

I'm reporting it here, instead. It could cause you a moment's worry if you weren't alert to it.

AGAA4 Wed 23-Sep-20 16:42:40

Thank you Shinyredcar it is always good to be forewarned.

Mapleleaf Wed 23-Sep-20 16:52:28

I've had exactly the same scam Shinyredcar, twice - one day last week and again today. I've reported it to the phishing department of my internet provider.

At first glance it looks quite official, but of course, many pertinent things are missing including just where the alleged offence happened. If you hover over the email address of the sender, you will see it's not genuine.

If anyone receives similar, whatever you do, do not click on the link.

JuneRose Wed 23-Sep-20 17:13:25

[email protected] this is the link you can forward scam emails to - I had several supposed to be from TV licensing when I knew I'd renewed it.

Sallywally1 Wed 23-Sep-20 18:01:52

I’ve had three recently, one from the car tax people saying I had paid too much, which I know I have not, one from tv licence saying I had t paid, which I had and one from the tax office. They seem to be virulent at the moment. It is difficult to report them though for some reason.

But yes, do not click on a link.

I do wonder how they got my mobile number and email though. Very worrying.

Chewbacca Wed 23-Sep-20 18:12:22

The sale of mobile phone numbers and email addresses is big business. Just a quick Google search found one company who sells email addresses by the 1000s. They will have no idea what wthose will be used for once sold.

Shinyredcar Wed 23-Sep-20 18:44:41

If only they would use their creativity and ingenuity for something positive instead of criminality, the economy would recover in no time!

We really need to be alert and careful to protect ourselves. I worry about how many are taken in by these scams.

Thanks for your comments. I probably should have reported it officially. Next time, I will.